2007 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo389

Reaction score
Looking at 2007 with 20,000 miles on it. I would like to know any issues the model is known for. Anything I need to have checked out? How is the comfort on 300-400 miles rides?

Just check for the ECU recall being done. Other than that, the '07 is known as the prettiest and fastest of all the FJR's.

Let me know where you saw it for sale so I can outbid you.

ECU recall, Ignition Switch recall, Cam Chain Tensioner MUST have a green or blue dot on it Green is the latest version I believe.
If the CCT has not been changed that is a must do ASAP. Ground Spiders.( do a search for BRODIE Harness) There is also a mod for the Rectifier Regulator to be run straight to battery for a low charging voltage problem that usually appears later in life.
3 to 400 miles no problem BUT at some point you will feel the need to change the stock seat to a Lamm or a Russell most likely.
Bar risers or a Heli Bar set up is also nice to have .
Is the bike all stock? Does owner have service records? Has the first valve adjustment been done? If not it will be needing one soon as Yamaha says 27000 mile for first check.Spendy if you cannot do it yourself.
How old are the tires?Date codes are on the side wall do a google search and you will learn how to age a tire.
If these things are not up to date what looks like a steal of a deal may not be.
Knowing all these issues will give you bargaining power if you want to mess with all of it.OR walk away and find one that has been updated. Hope this helps.

^^^
In addition to the ECU and ignition switch, there was a recall for one of the grounding "spiders". There are fairly common issues with a couple of the others not covered by the recall but they are fairly easily fixed. Brodie harness was an elegant solution but no longer available unless you want to fabricate one yourself.

A few did report the low voltage issue where the R/R had to run directly back to the battery but I never had any issue in the 10 years and 186,000 miles I had my 2007... A custom wiring harness was available from:
Roadstercycle - Link

I managed MANY 800-1000 mile days on my '07 on the stock seat but it wasn't always fun! I have a pretty fair pain tolerance but heed the advice of those who recommend an decent aftermarket seat!
Lots go for aftermarket windscreens as well but I always recommend that you should ride it a thousand miles before any ergonomic mods.

Last edited:
^^^
In addition to the ECU and ignition switch, there was a recall for one of the grounding "spiders". There are fairly common issues with a couple of the others not covered by the recall but they are fairly easily fixed. Brodie harness was an elegant solution but no longer available unless you want to fabricate one yourself.

A few did report the low voltage issue where the R/R had to run directly back to the battery but I never had any issue in the 10 years and 186,000 miles I had my 2007... A custom wiring harness was available from:
Roadstercycle - Link

I managed MANY 800-1000 mile days on my '07 on the stock seat but it wasn't always fun! I have a pretty fair pain tolerance but heed the advice of those who recommend an decent aftermarket seat!
Lots go for aftermarket windscreens as well but I always recommend that you should ride it a thousand miles before any ergonomic mods.
Ross
Thanks for the link.
Louis
Edit Thought this site made Spider Harness too.

Last edited:
Waldo,

Factory recalls are free maintenance. Have the VIN in hand, and you can contact the Yamaha mothership directly, by phone or on-line:
https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html
I sought out the Canadian version of that website (https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/vehicle-status-2) and entered my VIN. It responds "Invalid Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) not found or invalid" but then lists four recalls:
GROUND JOINT CONNECTORM142M11-042
MAIN HARNESS EXCHANGEM1A2M11-042
MAIN SWITCHM944M09-044
POOR ENGINE PERFORMANCEM781M07-081

The first two have been done, as indicated by the punch mark above the VIN. I'll have to look for the yellow tape on the main switch wires. But how would one know if the "Poor Engine Performance" recall was completed?

Torch,

If Yamaha has a Canadian phone number (maybe the USA phone number can tell you if so), you will get good humans who can usually sort out such issues. You may have a bike which was imported from another country. Write down the information they give you. For "poor engine performance," there may be a mark or sticker on the ECU to say the ECU was re-flashed or replaced, to satisfy the recall. Yamaha should be able to tell you what you want to see there.

I sought out the Canadian version of that website (https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/vehicle-status-2) and entered my VIN. It responds "Invalid Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) not found or invalid" but then lists four recalls:
GROUND JOINT CONNECTORM142M11-042
MAIN HARNESS EXCHANGEM1A2M11-042
MAIN SWITCHM944M09-044
POOR ENGINE PERFORMANCEM781M07-081

The first two have been done, as indicated by the punch mark above the VIN. I'll have to look for the yellow tape on the main switch wires. But how would one know if the "Poor Engine Performance" recall was completed?
I believe that the "poor engine performance" was related to the "Altitude fix" for 2006-07 bikes. It required replacement of the ECU as the original did not adequately compensate for altitude (air pressure) changes unless the throttle moved more than a certain amount.. Really just an issue if riding in the mountains.
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/fjrf004-the-2006-7-altitude-fix.27244/I am not entirely certain of this but I think this would be taken care of with an "Ivan" ECU flash, if you were going to get that done...
(Worth checking if you were considering it anyway and/or Yamaha won't step up)

Ivan's flash is a must for all 2006/2007 AE to cure off idle stumble due to lean mapping. Slow speed maneuvers are difficult with the on/off fuel mapping . Yamaha addressed this the 2008 AE is smooth .