2007 Iron Butt Rally RESULTS!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely fantastic! Congratulations to all the participants and extra kudos to Greg, Matt, and all the other FJR riders for showing us how it can and should be done. Now go get some sleep.

As they say, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics... but still...
FJRs at the starting line - rougly 15% of total bikes

FJRs in the top 10 = 4, i.e. 40%, nearly 3 times their total percentage

FJRs in the top 20 = 6, i.e. 30%, 2 times their total percentage, and nearly that of the BMWs which started out with 3 times as many bikes!

OBVIOUSLY, the rider has a lot to do with it.... nobody questions that, heck, Jim Owens could probably finish top 20 on a moped.... assuming the transmission held up. But even taking that into consideration, the FJR platform and it's riders performed WELL above the norm.
I'd say that the average FJR rider has had to find his way to the superior bike in spite of the propaganda from the manufacturers of lesser machines, so they have already demonstrated higher intelligence. So it's no wonder they would be able to take this superior machine, together with their higher intelligence and do extreemly well in a competition that stresses the importance of both those qualities. :yahoo:

Seriously, I envy the ablilities of everyone that even has the skills to start this kind of competition let alone finish well. Congrats to all the riders. I look forward to hearing all your stories. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Ray

..and what about that dude in 3rd? on a freakin SPORTSER? I'm going to have to research him, that ain't right. :blink: Put him on a FJR and see your next winner.. :rolleyes:
Bret's a nice guy. I've given him a ton of sh!t about his QBP Barney bike since he joined the LDR list. His choice of a Sporty in 2005 cost him his rally finish. Instead of switching to a different model, he came back with another Sporty and this time did a great job.

This has been the most fun I've had in a long time sitting in front of the computer. I couldn't wait to get home at night and get my update on the rally. You guys are simply the best LD Riders in the world. To all those working behind the scenes that allowed us to be a part of years rally......THANK YOU! My wife says when I grow up I can try the IB also.....so you never know.

Congratulations to all the FJR pilots who did so well!! Obviously the bikes are extremely well proven as rally bikes. Look for more FJRs and fewer BMWs in the future. Special callout to Tom Melchild - excellent finish!! Isn't this your best finish out of three IBRs? Awesome.

Thanks also to Warchild for keeping the FJR forum up to date from rally HQ, giving us that hot off the press info and wry commentary.

I want to comment on the FJR community. The IBR conversation here has been the best on the net, on par with LDRider. You guys get it. (Except James Burleigh, you knucklehead!)

Does anybody know the numbers of Ist Gen bikes vs 2nd Gen bikes of the finishers? Were their any repaired "Tickers" to finish the Iron Butt?

Amazing ride each and every rider!!! You Guys and Gals are relentless!!!!!

That is so exciting!!! Great finish Skooter and Iggy!! I knew you 2 would kick some serious ass! So proud of you boys! :clapping:

Congrats to all the FJR riders who finished. That's an amazing accomplishment!

Congratulations to all the FJR pilots who did so well!! Obviously the bikes are extremely well proven as rally bikes. Look for more FJRs and fewer BMWs in the future. Special callout to Tom Melchild - excellent finish!! Isn't this your best finish out of three IBRs? Awesome.
Thanks also to Warchild for keeping the FJR forum up to date from rally HQ, giving us that hot off the press info and wry commentary.

I want to comment on the FJR community. The IBR conversation here has been the best on the net, on par with LDRider. You guys get it. (Except James Burleigh, you knucklehead!)
Thanks Jerry, Yes it was my best finish. Previously I finished #32 and last time #18. This was by far the toughest one yet.

Tom

Fantastic stuff here. All those miles, all those bikes and to show so well. What can I say, but all entrants have my admiration and all finishers my humble respect. Great effort guys and gals!

Congratulations to all finishers, and cheers to the great showing by forum members. Simply amazing. :fan_1:

Kudos indeed.

Barbic and Melchild had no excuse but to kick serious ass on the 2nd leg. The sweet spot being their backyard.

Marbach? I've learned that Skoot is the biggest sand bagging lying sack of shit EVER.

He'd tell me he was dying, didn't know where he was going, no plan, etc.

LIES! ALL lies. Fucker was killing the whole time.

IGGY did great, far exceeding his initial goals. He was upbeat and philosophic in his room before the banquet. I like this side of Iggy very much.

The Stevens rode a fine and safe ride. I'm sure Lisa will be ecstatic once the whole thing sets in. It can take awhile.

Dick Peek is probably disappointed but shouldn't be. He can talk to Bob St. George for moral support.

This was a fantastic but oddly scarred rally. I'm not entirely bummed to have missed it. There was such silly shenanigans this year. Several riders said this year just had an odd vibe to it.

Congrats to all finishers, you've accomplished a HUGE feat.

GZ

It was indeed a very odd IBR, very different vibe in this one, caused by several issues, I think.

Over half the field was comprised of rookies... this lended to the odd vibe, it seems.

And then there is this pall cast over the event at the very end, when the stunning amount of outside routing assistance became known. The majority of those receiving outside assistance finished in the Top 20, so obviously, this is a huge, huge problem that we are dealing with right now.

This horseshit will not occur in the 2009 'Butt, I can assure you of that . <_<

Last edited by a moderator: