2007 No Start Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddykevin

Reaction score
Ok, I need some help. This morning, I went to start the bike as I do every morning. Now, just for background, I have an '07 FJR ABS model, newer battery and zero problems prior to this morning. I insert the key, turn it to the "on" position, turn the kiss switch to "on", the fuel pump runs for a second, or two, then I press the starter button and the bike begins to turn over at normal speed. Then, the bike kind of "burps", then I hear slight "pop" from the battery area, and then nothing. Zero electronics, no tach, no gauges, no lights, nothing. I pull the battery cover the then pull the main 50 amp fuse and replace it with a new one, still nothing. I then check the old 50 amp fuse with an Ohm meter and it's not blown.

Any ideas? It's my daily commuter, so I'm needing some help.

Check to see that the battery terminals are clean, tight and don't have the plastic covers pinched in the terminal. A big arc from a poor connection can cause the pop and then zero volts.

A long time ago I had had 3 Yuasa batteries go POP as the positive post blew open from the cells inside the battery and know of many other Yuasa battery users that experienced the same thing but haven't heard of it happening recently.

Edit: I see one whole minute ago wfooshee posted the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I thought that my new battery would end my starting problems. A couple of weeks ago, I installed a new glass mat battery from Batteries Plus and haven't had any troubles. I'll check the battery tonight. Terminals were tight.

WTF is MRFWU?
Is that anything like I.D.10-T?
In Fred's post the MRFWU acronym was underscored with a dotted line, hover your mouse pointer over any word or letters underscored like this and it will pop open a box and tell you what the acronym means.

Right...That function won't work on phones or mobile devices, yet people still instst on using it instead of just typing it where it can be seen. at this point, I figure if I'm on a device that won't show it, it's not important enough to care about.

I guess it's now true! ;)

The world does revolve around mobile users!!

I find that there are a lot of other forum functions that either don't work, or else work like crap, on an iPad or iPhone. For instance, no way to insert emoticons unless you happen know the ascii code for them. Or when you format everything nicely in paragraphs, all the formatting gets stripped into one giant paragraph when you post it that is kind of hard to read.

Whatever...

Right...That function won't work on phones or mobile devices, yet people still instst on using it instead of just typing it where it can be seen. at this point, I figure if I'm on a device that won't show it, it's not important enough to care about.
You bitched about mentioned the problem with acronyms on your mobile device in the past and since your last mention I have reduced my use by 99% but I reserve the right to use them anytime I feel it will be beneficial for the majority of the Forum members that are non-mobile users. If you don't care, it doesn't matter
smile.png

Fred and Alan have hurt my feelings. I will be taking my mobile ball and crying in the corner.

Ok, I'm back and I don't feel any better. Now what...Oh, I know: :fuck: . That's one of the few I know. Lol...

Ok, so I got home and checked the battery. It measured 10.4 volts across the terminals, which is way too low. But does it necessarily indicate a bad battery? Is there anything else that I should check?

Yeah, get the battery charged (if you can. If you can't, well... you know what to do) then get the bike running again and then measure that battery voltage again. See what the charging system voltage is. Should be 14.1-14.3 volts with a fully charged battery

The battery is taking a charge from my Battery Tender. Is there any chance that I could have a faulty ignition switch? Could it have drained the battery during the day while I was working? That might explain the bike going from trying to start to no lights and no gauges instantly. Also would explain why my main 50 amp fuse was good. The dealer indicates that the ignition switch recall was performed.

Catastrophic battery failure... that's my vote. I've had a couple batteries that just plain up and died like that.

10.4 volts across terminals without any load? Probably drops to 0 volts when you turn on ignition and put a load on it.