2007 Right Mirror

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodrigo

Reaction score
Has anyone experience blurry vision out of right mirror when going at about 4,000 rpm. If so what have you done to fix it. I took bike back to dealership they put another one on and the problem continues. You basically can not identified who is behind you out from the right mirror when you reach 75 to 80 mph. Either before or after that speed or 4000 rpm visibility is perfect.

Same problem here; I believe this is simply a FJR Feature. LM is solid with minimal to no blurring, RM is blurry during acceleration. I have replaced the RM as well, due to crate damage and no help.

Jason

Hey man, it's a well known 'problem' that these bikes have an engine harmonic distortion around the rpms you report (practically all I-4 engines have it between 4 and 6K rpms), but what's weird to me is only the right mirror is vulnerable to vibration. I've read that before, so you're not the only one.

To be honest, I haven't even checked mine that close, but I can tell you one of my mirrors feels somewhat looser than the other (can wiggle it with my hand a hair), so I wouldn't doubt it vibrates as well. Since the mirrors are basically held to the stem with spring washers (so they can fold), I bet one mirror probably has a larger distance than the other, and the springs don't provide enough pressure.

If you replaced your mirror and still have the same problem, I wouldn't bother with a 3rd one. Sometimes engine vibration affects one side of the motorcycle more than the other, and I bet the FJR is one of those bikes since I've heard the complaint before. Other than ensuring all bolts are tight, you could add an O-ring to the spring stack and see if that piece of rubber in there takes care of absorbing the vibration that's affecting visibility. I personally cruise over the vibration zone and that's probably why I haven't notice it, but I'll check next time I take the bike for a spin and report on the issue. Will also check which mirror is the looser one, but am almost positive is the right one indeed. I tightened the black bolt that secures the washers a tad, but wouldn't do it anymore than what feels okay since you can break something. If you haven't touched that nut, first loosen it a bit to break the loctite, then tighten it the max possible with a small wrench so you feel the pressure exerted. No need to put extra loctite, there's plenty in there, and it's the 'friction' kind, which stays there.

One last thing you can do to lessen vibration is to synch the TBs as best as possible. I did synch the TB butterflies, and my hands don't tingle anymore, but feel the vibration (have aluminum custom pegs) just the same, so don't know if it'd affect the mirror or not, but it's worth doing if synch is out of whack at 5K rpms, like it was on my bike. Good luck man.

JC

Mirror? They're over-rated. They only show you where you've been anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
My right mirror is blurry at most ALL RPM ranges. Meticulous TBS did not improve. Replacing mirror did not improve. The added "looseness" of one versus another cannot be fixed by adjusting the washers. The issue of looseness lies with the size of the dimple that settles into the detent plate. If dimple is slightly smaller than the receiving detent, the mirror feels a bit loose, even though the spring washers are holding the flat surfaces firmly together. You can tap the dimple plate just a tad and make the receiving dimple a tiny bit more shallow and that will eliminate the loose feel. But it will do nothing for the vibration.

At this point I have no ideas that don't involve changing the frame structure.

:(

What are you guys complaining about, mine does both mirrors at about 4k.. OH Well I've never had an in line 4 that hasn't done it.

In fact this is the best of the bunch..by 4500 RPM it's gone and so is my license..

wonderful. thought they had fixed this when the 07s came out. guess the new one i'm getting installed this weekend will be a waste of time.

My 07 mirrors also vibrate when cruising. Makes it difficult to see if that's a cop coming up behind you! I just recently did the 600 miles service with TBS and no help. I've thought about adding some lead weight to the backside of the mirror glass to dampen vibration, but haven't had a chance to see how the mirrors come apart. I'll let you know how that goes when I get around to it, but it's not a high priority right now.

Have you tried this???

MirrorRotated-1.jpg