2008 FJR1300 - Dear Yamaha, this is what we want.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope they reverse the trend shown by the Gen 2- slower, heavier and more touring than sport oriented. Don't do what Kawasaki did- that is make the bike taller and heavier than the FJR. The extra horsepower of the new Concours doesn't make up for the extra pork over a Gen 1 FJR IMHO. And hopefully they won't do anything dopey like that KIPASS system.
I don't consider mine "slow"... wanna race for titles?
I didn't say slow, I said slower. My friend has an '06 which I've ridden back to back with my '05 and it is definitely slower. Besides, you're in Texas; racing for titles would be difficult to accomplish.

I just hope they reverse the trend shown by the Gen 2- slower, heavier and more touring than sport oriented. Don't do what Kawasaki did- that is make the bike taller and heavier than the FJR. The extra horsepower of the new Concours doesn't make up for the extra pork over a Gen 1 FJR IMHO. And hopefully they won't do anything dopey like that KIPASS system.
I didn't say slow, I said slower. My friend has an '06 which I've ridden back to back with my '05 and it is definitely slower. Besides, you're in Texas; racing for titles would be difficult to accomplish.

Doesn't specify where you're at, but I was joking.

And I didn't purchase the thing for raw speed, rather it's versatile nature; power, comfort, touring capabilities. I was a Goldwing candidate (till I drove one) so my emphasis is on the touring side.

Lennie

Doesn't specify where you're at, but I was joking.

And I didn't purchase the thing for raw speed, rather it's versatile nature; power, comfort, touring capabilities. I was a Goldwing candidate (till I drove one) so my emphasis is on the touring side.

Lennie

I was joking with you as well. Since our own post headings appear differently to the poster compared to the rest of the board (i.e. warning meter) I was unaware that my location was not shown. I'm in New York. Once you get used to fast bikes you get jaded. I love my FJR, but having been spoiled by my heavily modified '06 FZ1, there are times when passing with the FJR I feel that it would be nice to have more pull from 6000 rpm on up. So you get spoiled. Any FJR is plenty powerful for just about every situation. However, if they were going to make changes, more top end without losing that fabulous FJR grunt would not be a bad thing..... Regards, Chris

How about self-cancelling turn signals! Duh!

I have them on my 1993 YAMAHA Virago!

Didn't Yamaha invent them?

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of self-cancelling signals. I suppose I'm on the anal side because I'm constantly scanning both the road, my instruments, etc. Also, I didn't care for them when I had them because they'd often 'cancel' before I wanted them to.

How about self-cancelling turn signals! Duh!I have them on my 1993 YAMAHA Virago!

Didn't Yamaha invent them?
yea, I had them on my 1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD. Not sure I liked them, but I had them.

Last edited by a moderator:
DH had self-canceling turn signals on his BMW. Several times, I've been caught out by their early cancelation, while riding behind. He will be signaling a turn and then the turn signal cancels before he makes the turn. Does that mean that he's going to plan B, and not making the turn? or the signal canceled too early. (He has been know to make last second decisions about turns, without mentioning it on the radio).

Jill

I've seen lots of good suggestions and lots of suggestions that to me sounds like you just need to get a Wing as an addition to the FJR (honestly, who would want to let the FJR go?)

I'd have to agree with many that I'd like a 6-speed. However, I want the gearing to be just like my 05', but with a 6th that drops RPM's about 500-700rpms at 80mph. 5th is still a power gear and it accels very well, 6th needs to be a nice mellow cruising gear. I wouldn't want the ratio's touched on the first 5 gears at all, love where they are at.

Helmet locks would be nice for when I have the bags off.

Tie down anchors - please. Some things just don't fit in the bags and I really like my paint to stay on the bike.

HID lighting would be a nice factory option. I'm lucky enough that I have youth on my side for now so the H4's are perfect.

Color choice - split on this one. I'd like to have choices, but at the same time I like being able to see an FJR and instantly know what year it is.

I think that about does it. Everything else to me falls into the farkle/mod realm. If it all came stock, what the hell would you ppl do with your down time? Just think of all the pissing matches there would be on the forum then :grrr:

I've seen lots of good suggestions and lots of suggestions that to me sounds like you just need to get a Wing as an addition to the FJR (honestly, who would want to let the FJR go?)
Tie down anchors - please. Some things just don't fit in the bags and I really like my paint to stay on the bike.

HID lighting would be a nice factory option. I'm lucky enough that I have youth on my side for now so the H4's are perfect.
Bungie nuts and HID, yes... those two make a lotta sense.

Did anybody mention larger side cases. At least big enough to put a helmet in.

1. Get it as light as my 05

2. Helmet locks

3. Self Cancelling Turn Signals

4. Cruise Control

5. Optional Turbo Model for the Insane

I would love to own a bagger that would smoke a Hayabusa. I would pay for it! Remember this is Spoooooooort Touring not Touring Sport.

Has anybody gone through these 232 posts to figure out how many unique suggestions have been made? My guess: 23.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one more, Yamaha or any other motorcycle company will never do this. But it would be nice if they designed the bike to withstand a drop if it happened and not cost you $2,000 in stuff. I have not dropped my 05 but it do's happen. I have droped or had other bikes go bang and hit the ground. Its an awful feeling and I am always parnoid ever time I take my bike off the center stand or walk it.

I wounder if the cycle company's would actually benefit from additional sales if they did this, versus the lost revenue from replacement parts if it happened.

My '03 side cases will each take a full face helmet with ease. I don't think the later models have smaller bags, or do they?

Jill

I can fit my HJC full-face helmet in my 07 side cases. With gloves. I don't know that the side cases/saddlebags need to be bigger. They can't make them wider or that would be wierd. Any longer (front-back) or taller would make it difficult for a pillion to ride.

Besides, it would detract from the sales of the top-mount case :)

YMMV

Grips, grips, grips... no, I like my stock grips. wasn't me.

My '03 side cases will each take a full face helmet with ease. I don't think the later models have smaller bags, or do they?

Jill
My 06 will fit full sized helmets?? I wish I could fit 2 in the rear truck but I bought the Yamaha truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.