2008 v 2009 - What should I buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that it is Saturday (not Friday) - I decided to reply. Thanks for your input (yes - even Skooter).

I'll be on a new '08 in a week re-living this thread for 125 miles. :dribble:

Now that it is Saturday (not Friday) - I decided to reply. Thanks for your input (yes - even Skooter).
I'll be on a new '08 in a week re-living this thread for 125 miles. :dribble:
Congrat's on the 08, good decision. Now you have money to get that GPS.

Welcome to the Asylum, you will be asimilated.

I like the extra black on my '09...besides the black rims, the area in front of the seat and below the tank is silver on the '08...either way you will love your FJR! Have fun!

004.jpg

003.jpg

Ya made a good choice! I rode mine 221 miles home from the dealer-no problem. And, like was said earlier, you can then ride back for you 600 mile oil change and home again and presto, you've got 1K on the bike before you even START riding! Congrats! :clapping:

If you want black wheels, it damn sure won't cost you $800 if you have them powdercoated locally! Buy the '08!

If you want black wheels, it damn sure won't cost you $800 if you have them powdercoated locally! Buy the '08!
I faced the same decision back in January. Bought the 08 and used the money difference putting on throttle meister, frame sliders, and a Top Box. I didn't like the black wheels and the only other difference is Yamaha says that they made the clutch

easier. I have two thousand miles on it and have no issue with the 08 clutch tension. Additionally if you want the extended warranty for four years the $ difference will more than cover that.

Ridge Runner :yahoo:

You made the right choice IMO. I went with an 07 instead of an 08 a month or two ago, for the same reasons mentioned above. Mine was $8,900 before taxes and it had only 2500 miles, with aftermarket to boot. It makes no sense, IMO, to buy a new bike that will most certainly depreciate the second you take it off the showroom floor. These bikes, for the most part, are rock solid so a warranty seems less of an issue. I'd would have bought an 06 with low miles if a better deal would have come along.

Have fun

Hey bud..... Don't fret over the break in methods.... Change the rear drive oil and change the engine oil and filter when you get home since your so close to the dealer. These are touring bikes, made for long days! The engine won't self destruct if you don't follow some fellow on the internet. Its a good idea to change the lubes on any new machine. I do the same thing with new trucks and cars too.

When I get a new bike I will have a 1,000 miles on mine before the weekend is out. I love getting to know my new mount. :)

I bought my last new bike over 600 miles from home, put 200 miles on it the first day. Changed the oils, checked fastners, installed a throttle lock and a throttle rocker and then rode home from Alabama to the coast of SC.. The bike actually had 1200 miles on it in three days total, two engine oil changes and two rear drive oil changes. I didn't see much metal in the second rear drive oil change. Take a plug kit, an air compressor, some water and a cliff bar, helmet is a good idea too..

Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new scoot!! I think you made the right choice, given your stated parameters (2008 vs 2009) but you missed out on buying one of the faster blue ones used and pocketing a butt-load of benjamins. But if you have to have new bike, I guess an '08 is as good as any. Who am I to question anyone that has the obviously superior taste to make Padron his avatar. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: