2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone else have a "detatched" feeling while trying to re-enter the work routine over the weeks following the finish?
This not only has happened to me after riding in the 1997 Iron Butt Rally, but in every single IBR since.... and that's just from my Staff duties!

It's the same right now... the 'Butt ended on week ago today, and I am still way, waaaaay out of sorts at work.

Though I suspect processing the Davo tragedy is contributing to this slightly "lost" feeling I continue to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
This not only has happened to me after riding in the 1997 Iron Butt Rally, but in every single IBR since.... and that's just from my Staff duties!
It's the same right now... the 'Butt ended on week ago today, and I am still way, waaaaay out of sorts at work.

Though I suspect processing the Davo tragedy is contributing to this slightly "lost" feeling I continue to have.
yeah, I think lots of people, even us spectators, will be thinking about it for a while. :huh:

yeah, I think lots of people, even us spectators, will be thinking about it for a while. :huh:
Yeah,Someone provided a link to his website, so I made a visit and poked around some, looks like we lost a good one.

I would swear the FJR shown at minute 1:59 of the video showing them pulling out doesn't have a head light on.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fleeter05#play...l/1/1anzAHh8gTo

But I can't believe they would let him leave if that were the case.
That was me. I have low-beam-only HIDs. I accidentally had the high-beam switch on, which means no headlight at all. Eventually I noticed it and switched the lights on. Why should I not have been allowed to leave the parking lot?

That was me. I have low-beam-only HIDs. I accidentally had the high-beam switch on, which means no headlight at all. Eventually I noticed it and switched the lights on. Why should I not have been allowed to leave the parking lot?
Legality, safety, y'know, simple things like that. No headlights would fail Tech, IIRC. Thankfully you just had the switch in the wrong position. If you had been stopped at the start, it would have only taken a moment for you to flip the switch and show that you did indeed have working headlights.

We were worried about you guy. Especially after the stator replacement in Spartanburg. So, my 90k stator held up ok for another 15k or so, eh?

We were worried about you guy. Especially after the stator replacement in Spartanburg. So, my 90k stator held up ok for another 15k or so, eh?
Your 90k stator continues to kick butt. I had a few technical issues during the rally, butt all related to my aux fueling system. If it said Yamaha on it, it worked 100% of the time.

Google Map views of the bonus locations for each of the top-ten finishers are available. Also, each map page now has a select box to choose from the list of available maps.A complete list of available IBR 2009 bonus maps is available here:https://tcfjr.goption.com/ibr
Very cool!! Did you put this together? I want to post it to a couple of other forums that will find it interesting and want to give credit where credit is due.

Very cool!! Did you put this together? I want to post it to a couple of other forums that will find it interesting and want to give credit where credit is due.
Yep, I put them together. Feel free to share the links - the maps of the individual riders give an interesting view of the rally. I'm hoping to finish places 11-25 by tomorrow...

Google Map views of the bonus locations for each of the top-ten finishers are available. Also, each map page now has a select box to choose from the list of available maps.A complete list of available IBR 2009 bonus maps is available here:https://tcfjr.goption.com/ibr
what a great recap. And really, is Jim Owen the only rider to hit the guelph exhibition & bowmanville zoo bonii!!? What a ride! :) Gutsy move to cross border twice for 943 points!

Very cool!!! Thatnks for doing that. I grew up in the UP and the Gay Bar route to Thunder Bay just blows my mind. Up there on those tiny roads at night with the deer and the bugs??!! CRAZY!!

Interesting when you look at it. I'm wondering why 8th place Rob Lilley didn't continue after the Canadian bonus (Championship Fight Club 4263pts) and (Access Insurance 2231pts) before heading South to Spokane???

Dave

Interesting when you look at it. I'm wondering why 8th place Rob Lilley didn't continue after the Canadian bonus (Championship Fight Club 4263pts) and (Access Insurance 2231pts) before heading South to Spokane???
Dave
Obviously, I don't know without asking him, but my first guess would be time.

Also, I didn't look at the bonus listing, but it could also have had a restriction that we wasn't falling within

Or, third possibility, he fucked up. I know I blew by 2 bonuses. Thankfully they were on the smaller side, but still. One I knew I was blowing by (time, but it would have been fine, didn't want to miss the whore tour window though, that was worth a whole lot more points!) The other I was just stupid. It happens. That's why they call us rookies. Though I suppose some of the non-Owen, non-Earls rookies might do dumb stuff from time to time as well.

That's why they call us rookies. Though I suppose some of the non-Owen, non-Earls rookies might do dumb stuff from time to time as well.
You may have been a rookie, but you were also the highest placing woman in the event, and the *sole* woman to earn a Gold Medal finish this year!.

A 20th Place position is simply superb, momma, whether a rookie or not!

You should be proud, Nancy, serious business!
bling_cool.gif

[SIZE=8pt]So try not to fuck it away again, baby, 'cuz I wanna see you on the Top 10 podium in 2011, girlfriend..... [/SIZE]

I wanna see me there too! Got some work to do. Will you still love me if I'm still on a GS? I might just take all the crap off mine and put it on my husband's. His is a year older, but with 60K less miles. but I'm still doing the extended test rides on FJR, ST1300, Connie and Oldwing (just cause everyone swears by 'em, I'm too young for one I think.)

Hey, you wanna laugh, check this thread out - I guess it started about Meese, but turns to me and questioning whether or not I'm actually a woman LOL!!!! Read all you like, but it gets funny after post #14. A friend sent it to me and I laughed so hard that I had to register for the site and post!

https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.p...7218#post147218

Well, last time I checked.... I would say one shouldn't question the issue; you look like you were sporting appropriate girly-parts to me!

Tobie-Nancy.jpg

Hey, now.... in this photo below, did Tobie find a little problem during your Tech Inspection? Fess up; what did you do....

Tobie-Nancy2.jpg

Looks like you got your game face going on her, baby... LOVE that bandanna.... this is minutes before Departure Time:

Oswald_GameFace.jpg

I wanna see me there too! Got some work to do. Will you still love me if I'm still on a GS?
Well, if I have to, I guess I will.... :lol:

Hell, keep that haircut, momma, and I'll still love you if you ride a Vespa.... :lol: :lol:

Nancy_Dale_finish.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]Above 4 photos © Steve Hobart Photography[/SIZE]

Eh, no one knew I covered the grey for years, how can you be sure I don't stuff? And tuck? LOL!!!

I LOST that bandana!!! I think in Santa Ana. I was so pissed! I like that picture too, but I think I look old somehow. I am not sure what was going on in that photo. It could have been that I was supposed to have my helmet and didn't know that. It sure does look like Tobie is scolding me a little, doesn't it? I saved that picture and titled it something like, "Yes ma'am, you need a motorcycle license in this event."

As for the haircut, I plan to keep it, at least for now. I need to go to the barber though, it's quite long!