2011 Ibr Who'S In

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
Well today I got my email from Lisa and will be sending in my deposite for the 2011 IBR. After completing the IB5000 2010 I had to go for the full 11 day version in June. Yea I know IM f***ing nuts but I also know a few others here threw there name in the hat. But what about anyone who was not in because of the 2010 IB5K. Post up June will be here soon. Guess I better order a new set of PR2's

Guess I better order a new set of PR2's
Or a couple of the rear ones. ;)

I didn't apply personally this year, but will be rooting for you my friend!

And also realize that some won't come out in public and say they got in, but most will in a private forum access they give riders. That's a fun area to hang out too. :)

Guess I better order a new set of PR2's
Or a couple of the rear ones. ;)

I didn't apply personally this year, but will be rooting for you my friend!

And also realize that some won't come out in public and say they got in, but most will in a private forum access they give riders. That's a fun area to hang out too. :)
Matt, I can't believe you didn't apply after that great summer of rally's you had. I was looking forward to runnin with you guys. I know Skooter din't aplly either.

Hope there are some other FJR's gettin in.

I think the PR2 will last. I used it in the IB5K It now has about 8000 miles and alot of tread left.

I'm in also, but only becuase of the IB5K finish. Had to think it over for a while as it is a big time and money commitment but I finally decided I need to as when will I ever get another chance. There are a lot of other things I want to do next year, but they'll still be there in the future, the IBR... not so much.

About the tires, I've been debating what to do. I know Behmer ran the 2009 IBR on 1 set of PR2s but I've never got more than 10K out of a rear one so I'm going to plan on changing it at some point mid rally. I've been watching a few places trying to find a complete rear wheel to fit my '08 for over a year with no luck. If I can I'd ship one to a checkpoint with fresh rubber and put it on in the parking lot. I may just break down and buy one from a dealer or just plan on finding a dealer near the last checkpoint that will have a tire waiting for me and waste some time and $ there. Then there is the option of ME880's but I've never run those so don't know if they'd be enough to go the distace for me either. Anyone got any advice?

Hey DaJuice, I'm in total agreement.

I'm in also because of the IB5K and will realistically never get another shot at doing it. I'm not a "rockstar" in this sport, in fact in a really successful outing I should just manage to fly under the radar - incognito, and invisible.

This is my one chance to do it. So I'm going for it.

Expensive part for me is not the rally itself, it's the time off work (as a self employed person who's office shuts down when he's away). I've figured out a way that I can do it by taking two weeks off, actually nine working days because July 1st is a holiday for us in the Great White North.

I managed to "total" my '04 FJR before the last rally. It has been replaced with an identical one with lower miles and a few nice options (bar backs, heated grips, Yamaha trunk, laminar lip).

I've put a request in with the salvage company to purchase the wheels, gas tank, 4 black dash panels, and seat. I can put that stuff to good use.

I'm in on the Russell group buy this fall, so I'll be sending one stock seat out. The panels I have cut out for electrical things, the gas tank is plumbed for fuel cell, and the wheels I'll equip with fresh tires for checkpoint change.

Should know more next week.

Congrats to all those who got picked or qualified via the IB5K. Now the real fun begins.

Matt, I can't believe you didn't apply after that great summer of rally's you had. I was looking forward to runnin with you guys. I know Skooter din't aplly either.

Hope there are some other FJR's gettin in.
I think that success was due in significant measure from engaging in a nutritious and balanced rally diet . I did the Dam Tour early season, a little 7 hour thing locally, the Utah 1088, Wild Wild West, and SPANK. It was my best year ever!

To do the IBR in June I would have to first make a choice of bailing on the Utah 1088 and I just can't do that. I'd also probably have to skip the Dam Tour or change things around totally. And a little confession after two IBRs...I didn't want to touch my bike for several months afterwards. I know...I'm a wuss and not a REAL LD rider for saying that, but it's not an uncommon phenonmenon.

So, next year I'm doing Dam Tour, Utah 1088, Cal 24 (newbie), LOE (newbie), and looks like I'm going to be a RM for a rally (newbie). That's a varied diet....a similar one in 2012...and you know what? 2013 for the Win Baby! ;)

So, to the crop of folks getting the privilege to ride in the IBR in 2011....relish it. It will change your life.

And to those FJRs that are coming to the start in the PNW from various points in the continent....my place is about 200 miles from the start and open to wayward travelers wanting to swap rubber, do oil changes, a place to crash, etc. Smitty141 did it for me, Skooterg, and 3 other FJR riders for at least one IBR and I'd like to offer the same. PM if you're interested...I've got one already lined up.

I am in as well because of my IB5000 finish.

I am also trying to decide on the best approach for a tire change during the rally. Keeping the same set of PR2's for the whole rally would just be cutting it too close...

The bike is ready to go as far as farkles are concerned. I may do some fine tuning to my setup over the winter. Plan of performing a bunch of preventative maintenance this winter... ie fork bushings, CCT replacement etc

Then there is the option of ME880's but I've never run those so don't know if they'd be enough to go the distace for me either. Anyone got any advice?
Here are two datapoints:

In 2007 I ran an ME-880 and it went the whole distance, but howled like a Banshee the last several thousand miles. I rode 10,000 miles that year and think there was 3,000+ miles left in the tire afterwards.

In 2009 I started with an ME-880 and changed at about the 8000 mile mark. I shipped a complete rim and tire I had to the 2nd checkpoint and swapped in the parking lot with the great help of Kaitsdad and Art for an Azarro I had leftover for 4500 more miles. I rode 12,500 miles total that year at a more aggressive pace (more hours in the saddle each day and maybe a little faster in a big second leg I had). I ended up remounting the leftover ME-880 and finished up the rubber.....but think I got maybe 11,000-12,000 miles out of that tire total.

For me I think Azarros are 6-7, PR2 8-9, and ME880 10-13K.

So, short answer is that ME880 usually can make a whole rally if unless you have a bad right hand and/or plan on some monster miles. A spare rim is costly and often a fair amount for prep than one expects if you have to assemble it all yourself..and shipping. But, it's great peace-of-mind to know you can have fresh rubber with 20 minutes work in a parking lot and don't have to go somewhere to swap rubber.

YRMV

What an interesting thread to read and contemplate.

Noobies coming in.

Veterans taking a break.

Tires and mileage.

I hate to say it - but wouldn't a darksider tire be the best choice for such a slab-based event?

I assisted at CP2, SoCal, and helped change tires in the hot humid basement.

I am so sorry I don't recall his name - my complete bad, but Wendy Crockett's husband is a class act and we both completely sweated through our shirts, undies, and pants helping riders change tires.

If you have the bucks, ship ahead the complete tire/rim/rotor assembly.. so much faster and easier. Use the saved time to shower, sleep, route...

So says the the Candy Butt Association president who knows all. :rofl:

Wendy Crockett's husband (Mike)
I dunno, MY tire change went pretty quick :p I suppose when you're only concerned about one or two, it makes all the difference in the world (particularly when it is 1800 degrees in a dank basement).

I ran PR2s in 09 and swapped 'em both in Santa Ana. I probably could have done the whole rally on one set, but I figured since the checkpoint was so close to home I was better safe than sorry.

In the 10 n' 10 I ran PR2s again and kept the same front for the whole event (13k+ from installation to removal) without incident. I knew I'd be passing by a friend's shop right at the midpoint, so I had my rear swapped with plenty of tread left.

After running these two big events, and seeing the kind of mileage that other riders are getting out of their PR2s, I feel fairly comfortable attempting my next big multi-day with a single set of PR2s. Then again, maybe I'll throw an ME880 on there and see what that does for me...

After running these two big events, and seeing the kind of mileage that other riders are getting out of their PR2s, I feel fairly comfortable attempting my next big multi-day with a single set of PR2s. Then again, maybe I'll throw an ME880 on there and see what that does for me...
If you really think you can run the whole show with one rear PR2...I'd avoid the ME880's. They are a significant compromise in the cupping department and howl like a banshee after about 7K (so much you swear your final drive is failing) and not that great in the rain. Or plan to run one PR2, but have a contingency plan just in case you have to swap.

The west coast start and finish killed it for me. Being in private practice and 3 weeks out of the office would not fly. I had to pull out of the IB 5K 5 days prior to the start due to health issues with a Dr. who could not cover my office.

Looking forward to 2013 IBR for me. I plan to hit the 1088 or C-24 next year..

If running PR2's I would swap the rear at some checkpoint. Can't imagine getting 11K plus miles out of the rear.

All the best to those who are in !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't put my name in for 2011. The west coast start and finish killed it for me, and I'm not ready to compete at the level I want to either. Maybe next time...

I hate to say it - but wouldn't a darksider tire be the best choice for such a slab-based event?
I did a lot fewer highway miles than I expected. IMO car tires should be outlawed. I'm sure glad I didn't have to contend with them on all the twisties I rode. I'd be willing to bet I had more fun than anyone else in 09, and my finishing position reflects that too I think.

I assisted at CP2, SoCal, and helped change tires in the hot humid basement. I am so sorry I don't recall his name - my complete bad, but Wendy Crockett's husband is a class act and we both completely sweated through our shirts, undies, and pants helping riders change tires.
Thanks for your help d :) Wendy's husband does rock! Wendy too! They helped me out with transportation of my rear wheel and oil to the CP.

If you have the bucks, ship ahead the complete tire/rim/rotor assembly.. so much faster and easier. Use the saved time to shower, sleep, route...
The peace of mind of having fresh oil and rubber was nice, but I won't do either next time. I think a oil and a good ST tire will go the distance for 90% of the field.

My advice:

Get a sunpass. Even if you're 110% sure you won't go to FL, get a F'in sunpass. I had no idea there would be so many toll booth's.

If you go into it with a goal of being a finisher, expect to be disappointed when you're "just" a finisher. If you think you've got more than that in you, DO more.

Going for the big rock's means a lot of highway. If you want to ride the fun roads, don't expect to get many of the big rocks.

Manage your stress level. If you make a mistake and lose a ton of time, or get lost, get over it! Try not to make the same mistake again, but stressing out over it will sap you. Grin and bear it.

What an interesting thread to read and contemplate.

Noobies coming in.

Veterans taking a break.

For the first time in 14 years, I didn't care.

I found the experience remarkably refreshing.

I wish all entrants the best. My wife is quite happy that I didn't apply.