2012 Tenere

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming the pics are of the bike, the '16 is definitely not an ES model. Nice color combo!

~G
Didn't think it was ES.  Suspension and seats appear to be stock.  This one needs some "stuff" to bring it up to the level of equipment as the other one.  Windshield is already aftermarket and apparently it has Oxford heated grips. (Factory heated grips not standard?)  At the very least, I would want to put engine guards and a decent skid plate on it - anything else recommended for protection?  Possibly headlight guards as well.  Radiator guard?

The auxiliary lights on this bike look like cheap incandescent - can't really tell and I have a question in to the seller.  Might take the Clearwater Ericas off the FJR if I decide to get this bike.  Might do a set of Hyperlights (signal and flashing brake) on the rear.  TPMS possibly as well - especially if running on sharp gravel roads. 

Also asking the seller (dealer) if they can access maintenance records.  I want to find out if the first valve check has been done.  Also want to find out if the ECU is factory or "flashed".

This also needs a top-case.  Yamaha's is expensive but I can get a waterproof hard shell Pelican knock-off (35 litre) for well under $100 and figure some way to mount it.

What else would you put on it?  How bad is the stock seat?

I'd put a lot of miles on it!   

I'm okay with the stock seat as it is an easy bike to ride standing up to give the arse a break.

I have the Yamaha Tall wind screen and really like it for LD open highway work. Easy to drop down when on the dirt and sub 85 mph.

Ross, have you had a chance to put many test miles on a Tenere.  I had my mind made up to buy one but after I rode it (several times) I realized that it just wasn't the bike for me.  The Yamaha rep was awesome and told me take my time, enjoy the test ride and ride it like I owned it.  I gave it several chances.  Not shitting on the bike, just pointing out that some saddle time might be good.

Canadian FJR

Ross, have you had a chance to put many test miles on a Tenere.  I had my mind made up to buy one but after I rode it (several times) I realized that it just wasn't the bike for me.  The Yamaha rep was awesome and told me take my time, enjoy the test ride and ride it like I owned it.  I gave it several chances.  Not shitting on the bike, just pointing out that some saddle time might be good.

Canadian FJR
I have not ridden a Tenere and I doubt the local dealer would allow an extended test ride.  This would be a bike in addition to my FJR, not to replace it - at least not at this point.  This would leave me with two relatively large motorcycles with considerable overlap in capabilities.  Still considering something smaller (but still capable of a long highway run) for a second bike.  Trying to figure out what the cost would be to farkle-up the 2016 (above).  The 2012 is not out of the question but only if the dealer is willing to drop the price.

If you bought the '16, kept it over the winter without farkling it up, and then chose to resell it in late spring, early summer with a few more miles on it, how much would you figure that would cost you?

(Btw, I kinda like that phrase.  'Don't farkle it up'.)

If you bought the '16, kept it over the winter without farkling it up, and then chose to resell it in late spring, early summer with a few more miles on it, how much would you figure that would cost you?

(Btw, I kinda like that phrase.  'Don't farkle it up'.)
Buying from a dealer and then selling privately I would lose at least 15% sales tax the way things work here.  Not to mention that dealers typically sell for more than private so I probably wouldn't get what I paid - even before tax.  If I am trading at a dealer, I would only pay tax on the difference in price.  Still, the dealers are charging what they can for what you buy and will offer the minimum they can get away with taking a trade.  Guessing it would cost me 25% or more if I did that.

Buying privately, you pay tax when the vehicle is registered.  If you are buying a new bike, some dealers will let you find your own buyer for your bike at whatever price you can get and then run it through their system as a "trade" so you get the best you can for your bike and get the tax advantage of a trade rather than private sale.  If a used bike sells privately five times in the course of a single year, the government collects taxes with each transaction!!!

As 'Bug says, the stock seat isn't too bad. If you're patient, plenty of custom ones come up on the Tenere forum. Factory heated grips aren't standard on the regular model but are on the ES. For cost considerations, many install the Oxford's or other brands. I installed KTM heated grips on my '12...in addition to warm hands they made the bike much faster and better off road! Lost 50 lbs in the process too!! (j/k) With '14 and newer bikes you can source OE heated grip parts for ~$220 USD and have a factory installation. Grips are then controlled via dash, just like GEN III FJR's. I installed OE grips on my '18.

Crash bars and skid plates are personal choices...kinda like windshields. I have Touratech bars and a OE (designer) skid plate. Keeps sand & gravel off the engine but that's all it's good for. For off-road bashing you'll want something like Alt-Rider or even heavier duty.

~G 

As 'Bug says, the stock seat isn't too bad. If you're patient, plenty of custom ones come up on the Tenere forum. Factory heated grips aren't standard on the regular model but are on the ES. For cost considerations, many install the Oxford's or other brands. I installed KTM heated grips on my '12...in addition to warm hands they made the bike much faster and better off road! Lost 50 lbs in the process too!! (j/k) With '14 and newer bikes you can source OE heated grip parts for ~$220 USD and have a factory installation. Grips are then controlled via dash, just like GEN III FJR's. I installed OE grips on my '18.

Crash bars and skid plates are personal choices...kinda like windshields. I have Touratech bars and a OE (designer) skid plate. Keeps sand & gravel off the engine but that's all it's good for. For off-road bashing you'll want something like Alt-Rider or even heavier duty.

~G 
Good information, thanks.  The 2012 I was looking at needs nothing except auxiliary lighting and maybe TPMS.

The 2016 is around 10% more money than the 2012 but I would probably have to throw $1500 (or more) at it for lighting, protection, topcase etc.

Don't expect to do a lot of off-road "bashing" but some additional protection seems to be a good idea; mostly for flying rock/gravel damage but also for the occasional "Whoops!!".  (engine/tank guards, headlight protection, radiator guard, skid plate etc.)

I haven't totally eliminated the thought of getting something new - Tenere or possibly Vstrom.

I just dropped by the local dealer that had the 2012 well-equipped Ténéré. They sat on it for most of last summer so I was thinking they might consider a low-ball offer this spring.They sold it just last week!!  Maybe for the best - bike was well equipped and evidently well cared for and not abused but it didn't really speak to me.

Apparently, used bikes have been selling very well around here. Local inventory is almost nil.

I have heard good stuff about the new 1250 GS Adventure.  Unfortunately, not within my budget.

R 1250 GS Adventure | BMW Motorrad (bmwmotorcycles.com)

The Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport speaks to me as well.  Especially in that color scheme.

Africa Twin > Adventure Motorcycles from Honda Canada

Africa-Twin-AS-ES_Gallery_07.jpg

...haven't ever seen the BMW Skoot. In the shop, garage queen...does it even run? 😉

~G

Georgie, Georgie, Georgie....   Alas....  the conundrum one faces when having too many motos in the garage is that none of them get the attention and love they deserve.  Now my fine piece of Kraut Krap does get some love on occasion, but never enough.  It is my 'dirty' moto after all and gets to see some fine Arizona gravel roads.  In fact, I invite you to bring that princess of a Super Ten down here and I will show you a good time getting dirty!

Now this fine example of German engineering *will* be the moto to take me to Alaska and the Arctic Ocean when the Canadian border opens again.  In fact, you should man up and join me on that epic journey!  And just because I love you like the bastard step-brother I never had, and never wanted, I will even let you ride my German exquisiteness.  Just be warned:  Once you ride the the finest big bore adventure moto known to man.....  Your poor Super T will seem paltry and inadequate in comparison.

45zmD5Ph.jpg

Georgie, Georgie, Georgie....   Alas....  the conundrum one faces when having too many motos in the garage is that none of them get the attention and love they deserve.  Now my fine piece of Kraut Krap does get some love on occasion, but never enough.  It is my 'dirty' moto after all and gets to see some fine Arizona gravel roads.  In fact, I invite you to bring that princess of a Super Ten down here and I will show you a good time getting dirty!

Now this fine example of German engineering *will* be the moto to take me to Alaska and the Arctic Ocean when the Canadian border opens again.  In fact, you should man up and join me on that epic journey!  And just because I love you like the bastard step-brother I never had, and never wanted, I will even let you ride my German exquisiteness.  Just be warned:  Once you ride the the finest big bore adventure moto known to man.....  Your poor Super T will seem paltry and inadequate in comparison.

With a bullshit spiel like that, you should run for office.😂