2012 Tenere

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I have been thinking about some sort of "Adventure" bike for the roads less traveled.  I have been considering something like a 650 Vstrom - decent price for a new one reasonably equipped with hard aluminum bags, crash bars, skid plate etc.  For a little less money, I came across a 2012 Tenere with about 40,000 km (25,000 miles) on it.  No question that it is a lot more bike than the WeeStrom but I know nothing about the various Tenere model years.  What essential changes have they made since 2012?  I know electronic suspension was added and I expect changes were made to dash and electronics.

So, what is the downside to the 2012?

Comes with bark busters, engine guards, metal skid plate, Yamaha hard bags and topbox, Vstream shield, grip warmers, centerstand, throttle lock, headlight protectors etc.  Not a mark on it!

20200721-114937.jpg

"Get a 14 or newer" is what George told me and I did.   Factory cruise, updated dash/ electronics and better everything....or something like that :)     

He was right.

"Get a 14 or newer" is what George told me and I did.   Factory cruise, updated dash/ electronics and better everything....or something like that :)     

He was right.
New isn't in the budget.  This looked like a decent, well farkled and well cared for bike for the money but if the differences are very significant compared to new, I will probably pass on this.  I appreciate the reply. 

Wonder how hard it is to add aftermarket cruise to a Tenere?

Edit:  Are there any changes with the engine, chassis or suspension (other than ES option)?  Seems to me there is an ECU "flash" available that is supposed to do good things...

MY '12 & '13 are referred to GEN I Tenere's. No notable issues with them other than a weak CCT which most replace with an updated version at first valve inspection. There was also a couple recalls for US models, don't know about CDN machines. Engines are noisy and sound unrefined but are rock solid and reliable as an anvil. Think FJR. On my '12, I replaced the clutch basket with a '14 and up to reduce noise / vibration. Not really necessary but it did quiet things down. I also had the ECU flashed a couple times by AVC8130 on the STen forum. Price is well worth it. Wakes the bike up and removes the restrictions in lower gears. Got rid of my '12 just short of 40K miles. Dunno know why, it was a very nice machine but the NOS '18 showed up at killer price.

MY '14 and newer are the latest bikes. Minor changes to engine, windshield adjustment, improved clutch basket, CCT, digital dash, cruise control and ES available. Think incremental changes similar to FJR updates. To wake it up it still needs a flash. Generally thought to be a bit smoother than GEN I, although my current '18 is taking a while to smooth out. Engines take similar mileage as FJRs to break in and run well.  

The '12 in the pic looks nicely set-up. AltRider crash bars, OE Yamaha skid plate plus other things noted. Money no object, get a '14 and up to get the cruise control. If it's in the budget, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the '12 and ride the wheels off it. You won't be disappointed!

Any more questions, ask away!

~G

If you do buy the 12 use the money you save to get some "roads less traveled tires" to include off the pavement backroads :)    

I really enjoys hitting that type of road with my S10, it does quite well for it's size and weight on gravel roads.

I had a 2012 S10.  I replaced the clutch basket which eliminated the chudder it was having and replaced the CCT with an adjustable aftermarket version.  Pay particular attention to the seal of the stick coils to valve cover.  My left side spark plug hole would leak and corrode the plug.  It was totally reliable. Doing the valves is much like doing an FJR’s but also like building a ship in a bottle.... tight space.

MY '12 & '13 are referred to GEN I Tenere's. No notable issues with them other than a weak CCT which most replace with an updated version at first valve inspection. There was also a couple recalls for US models, don't know about CDN machines. Engines are noisy and sound unrefined but are rock solid and reliable as an anvil. Think FJR. On my '12, I replaced the clutch basket with a '14 and up to reduce noise / vibration. Not really necessary but it did quiet things down. I also had the ECU flashed a couple times by AVC8130 on the STen forum. Price is well worth it. Wakes the bike up and removes the restrictions in lower gears. Got rid of my '12 just short of 40K miles. Dunno know why, it was a very nice machine but the NOS '18 showed up at killer price.

MY '14 and newer are the latest bikes. Minor changes to engine, windshield adjustment, improved clutch basket, CCT, digital dash, cruise control and ES available. Think incremental changes similar to FJR updates. To wake it up it still needs a flash. Generally thought to be a bit smoother than GEN I, although my current '18 is taking a while to smooth out. Engines take similar mileage as FJRs to break in and run well.  

The '12 in the pic looks nicely set-up. AltRider crash bars, OE Yamaha skid plate plus other things noted. Money no object, get a '14 and up to get the cruise control. If it's in the budget, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the '12 and ride the wheels off it. You won't be disappointed!

Any more questions, ask away!

~G
Great information!  CCT swap is no big deal.  unnecessary noise and vibration would annoy me but I would have to try it out.  I would check on recalls - I expect they would be the same in Canada.  ECU flash sounds interesting - I will have to read up on what it does for the S10.  As you say, incremental improvements (like the FJR).  Are the frame and engine essentially the same or did they have a major change in 2014?  Same horsepower? (108 IIRC).  Can't deny that I would like the electronic suspension and cruise control but I can live without them - I have managed well enough with my '07 and my '11 FJRs.

Is the Tenere engine as robust (and long lasting) as the FJR?  I understand that valve checks are less fun than on the FJR.

After I saw the bike at a dealer, it appeared to be a decent deal for a well farkled, low mileage bike in superb condition.  A little research revealed that the price being asked is a bit high; at least compared to Ontario and points west.  Certainly not a bargain but we don't see very many decent used "Adventure" bikes in the local market.  I may give this one a pass or make a lowball offer but I don't think he will bite.

If you do buy the 12 use the money you save to get some "roads less traveled tires" to include off the pavement backroads :)    

I really enjoys hitting that type of road with my S10, it does quite well for it's size and weight on gravel roads.
Yeah, not much point in an adventure bike if you put 100% street tires on it.  I wouldn't expect to run really gnarly surfaces so would probably start with a 70/30 sort of tire - mostly street but with modest dirt capability.  (Something else that needs some research)  The trick is to find a bike that is good enough off-road but still comfortable enough to take you from home to the places you want to do your riding.

Yeah, not much point in an adventure bike if you put 100% street tires on it.  I wouldn't expect to run really gnarly surfaces so would probably start with a 70/30 sort of tire - mostly street but with modest dirt capability.  (Something else that needs some research)  The trick is to find a bike that is good enough off-road but still comfortable enough to take you from home to the places you want to do your riding.
I like the Shinko 705 tires for dual sport duty. It's great to do 100 miles of pavement, 100 miles of gravel and another 100 miles of pavement to get home. Just what I bought the bike to do as I have ridden all the local roads (Tahoe national forest is almost at my back door) on my KLR and still keep that bike for the real dirt miles but no way I'm riding it 300 miles in a day.  The S10 was great for riding to Red Lodge , Mt last month where we did 300 miles off the pavement in Wyoming and another 300 miles of gravel roads across Nevada on the way home. 

Keep looking, you'll find one.

Great information!  CCT swap is no big deal.  unnecessary noise and vibration would annoy me but I would have to try it out.  I would check on recalls - I expect they would be the same in Canada.  ECU flash sounds interesting - I will have to read up on what it does for the S10.  As you say, incremental improvements (like the FJR).  Are the frame and engine essentially the same or did they have a major change in 2014?  Same horsepower? (108 IIRC).  Can't deny that I would like the electronic suspension and cruise control but I can live without them - I have managed well enough with my '07 and my '11 FJRs.

Is the Tenere engine as robust (and long lasting) as the FJR?  I understand that valve checks are less fun than on the FJR.

After I saw the bike at a dealer, it appeared to be a decent deal for a well farkled, low mileage bike in superb condition.  A little research revealed that the price being asked is a bit high; at least compared to Ontario and points west.  Certainly not a bargain but we don't see very many decent used "Adventure" bikes in the local market.  I may give this one a pass or make a lowball offer but I don't think he will bite.
Engine, frame and suspension are essentially the same for all years. Yamaha claims a couple more HP for the ‘14 and up. I will say my ‘18 does seem to pull harder then my ‘12, no proof except my carefully calibrated butt dyno! Swap the CCT and the engines are rock solid. Several on the STen forum have 100K+ miles on theirs. Valve inspections are “interesting” at the least. There’s a fat wiring harness in the way on RH side and hydraulic lines on the LH side. Both are loosened and moved upward to gain clearance for valve cover removal. STen forum is a great resource for mtce and farkles. 

~G  

Engine, frame and suspension are essentially the same for all years. Yamaha claims a couple more HP for the ‘14 and up. I will say my ‘18 does seem to pull harder then my ‘12, no proof except my carefully calibrated butt dyno! Swap the CCT and the engines are rock solid. Several on the STen forum have 100K+ miles on theirs. Valve inspections are “interesting” at the least. There’s a fat wiring harness in the way on RH side and hydraulic lines on the LH side. Both are loosened and moved upward to gain clearance for valve cover removal. STen forum is a great resource for mtce and farkles. 

~G  
Very useful, thanks.  Maybe I'll wait and see if they move on the price on the 2012.  I would love to have the latest and greatest but, in reality, it would make very little difference in my enjoyment of the bike - especially if I had to pay double.  I can see a lot of value in an ES suspension for an "Adventure" bike - convenience if not requirement.  Would love cruise control but have managed without for a long time on my FJR.  Dash display is unimportant - chassis and engine are far more critical and it seems that this is unlikely to be an issue.

I do not intend to sell the FJR - worth more to me than I could get for it.  My main issue is whether I should go smaller and lighter with an Adventure bike rather than owning two large, heavy motorcycles.  Something KLR-ish wouldn't do it for me - one of the main criteria is to be able to get to a riding destination in some degree of comfort whether it is across the state or across the continent.  Minimum would be something like a Wee-Strom.  The new Africa Twin would be nice but exceeds my current budget.

Shop till you drop, the 2014 I picked up had everything on it except the Top box and the rear Penske. It has a dent in the tank and I'm sure that is the reason I got it cheap from the dealer stealer! It has been dead reliable!

50/50 Heidenau tires where on the bike when I bought it and they were great tires for he Alaska trip, Top of the World Hwy and the Dalton. ( We didn't make Deadhosre just got over Atigun Pass) they were done at 6,600 miles but they made the whole trip. I'm running the Michelin Anakee 2 90/10 now and haven't done much dirt work but I like for the street. Pulling the rear wheel can be and adventure if you forget to keep the plate that holds the rubber wedges for the damping held to the final drive. Yes G I forgot my lesson you taught me! :)

It is a bit heavy when pushing around but feels light and sporty with the Anakee's on it while moving. The CC is awesome to have  and wish my old 07 FJR had it but I live with it. I don't like how the gear selector works as when you pull the clutch lever in the gear display disappears. The air box is aimed towards the bottom of the tank and can be a bit noisy at times. When you wear 3X gloves the valve check is a PIA but doable. Great utility bike! It's nice having both.

Lurking on this thread.  Good read.  No I am not in the market for an S10 because Idaho is at my backdoor so I can ride my DR650 there without issue.  I'd avoid ES if at all possible - don't ask me why.  :D    At least I can laugh at the mistake I made goring from a FJR with performance suspension to an ES FJR.    Just don't do it.

Found a 2016 with similar mileage (50,000 km) and only slightly higher cost.  Fewer farkles.  It is a fair distance away so I am trying to get as much information as I can before I do a road trip to look.  Non ES version, I think. 

The one I originally looked at is still at the dealer and it IS a great looking bike.  If the 2016 doesn't pan out, I might make a lowball offer to the local guy and see if it goes anywhere.  Approaching the end of the season...

%24_59.JPG

%24_59.JPG