2013 FJR Rear Shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czufelt

Reaction score
I've got a 2013 FJR with 53000 miles that I bought used about 6 years ago. I've wanted to make some changes to my suspension because my ride is not great. I checked my rear shock and it needs replacing. I've looked online and it doesn't look like Yamaha has a stock replacement anymore, not that I want an OEM shock anyways but I figured I'd start there. I did find one on Revzilla though. Reading through most of the posts on here about rear shocks, it looks like Penske, Ohlins, Wilbers, and GP Suspension are my only options but most of those are upwards a $1000 or more. Am I missing something? I checked the Ohlins website and they stop at 2012 for shocks. So I'm thinking of going to the Penske 8900e single adjust no option at $895. I'm not sure what the options offer or if there's a better shock out there for the price. Is it the difficult to change? I'll welcome any comments/suggestions.

Your list includes many popular aftermarket shocks available. If you're going aftermarket, I'm partial to Penske since they're owner serviceable with a small investment in equipment. That's for those of us who prefer DIY! The Penske you referenced would be a great rebuildable budget shock.

OE GEN IIIs are a great budget option and seem to have improvements over earlier years. Your '13 has a tired one of those. Swapping out is fairly simple with even limited mechanical ability.

If you're serious about aftermarket, do PM Panman and he might be able to help you out.

Good luck!

~G

Why is your '13 shock bad?

I am a big believer in aftermarket suspension. I've had Wilbers, Ohlins, and Penske. All great. My preference is Wilbers, then Ohlins.

For a cheaper option look at Hyperpro. They use a progressive rate spring which is not my preference, but many sing their praise.

Interesting how they are 'unavailable' for the OEM shock. Last year they were made was 2019 (same part # as 2013) so they still should be supported. I would expect them to be available again. But I would go aftermarket. My advice is find/wait for a used one - like Panman's......

Why is your '13 shock bad?

I am a big believer in aftermarket suspension. I've had Wilbers, Ohlins, and Penske. All great. My preference is Wilbers, then Ohlins.

For a cheaper option look at Hyperpro. They use a progressive rate spring which is not my preference, but many sing their praise.

Interesting how they are 'unavailable' for the OEM shock. Last year they were made was 2019 (same part # as 2013) so they still should be supported. I would expect them to be available again. But I would go aftermarket. My advice is find/wait for a used one - like Panman's....
I don't know about acheaper option with Hyperpro. I bought their non emulsion , remote hydraulic preload shock and paid $1200.00. The shock has performed very well and came with a linear spring set up for my weight. Only bummer is I have to send it back to PA. for service if I want to receive the free service that came with the shock. I've owned Ohlins as well and think they are both excellent products.

I don't know what's wrong with it but the back of my bike has very little support from the shock and it bottoms out easily. I didn't think the OEM version was rebuild-able

I don't know what's wrong with it but the back of my bike has very little support from the shock and it bottoms out easily. I didn't think the OEM version was rebuild-able
I have replied with a PM for my price and what Cogent Dynamics wants for service.
I'm with ScooterG on going after market! Go with what you feel is best for you but being able to service a shock every couple of years just keeps the handling crisp. I'm also a firm believer in doing a dump and flush on the forks once a year, it really extends the bushing life. The constant heat cycling really is rough on the internals of both by introducing moisture to the oil.
Good luck with you search, Panman.

You have tried using the stiffer spring setting and raised the compression damping???

I also have a 2013 with almost 52K on the clock and the first bit of suspension travel seems "undamped". I believe the rear suspension linkage is worn, since I've never greased it, and have a rebuilt modified relay arm (has zerk fittings) waiting for me to find the motivation to install it.

Your shock could be OK.

Thanks for the information. I'm away from home right now but I'll look at it, check the spring setting and damping. Can you tell me if the bearings and linkage can be checked without disassembling it? Thanks.