2013 fork oil change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimmantom

Reaction score
Any tech guys, is the fork oil change & flush any different from a Gen1 to a Gen 3? How about what kind of fork oil?
I used belray 10 w on my Gen 1 bikes. Thanks in advance

Probably doesn't really need it based on mileage but it is 6 years old...

FWIW, I use 5 wt Belray in my Gen II.  Probably closer to OEM weight.

I have a couple charts on suspension fluid comparisons, if you are interested.  They are several years old but PM me with an email address if you want them.

I'm right in the middle of a fork oil change on a 13 so I'm watching this closely. This bike is two up most the time so I'm curious what weight oil would be good. I have Maxima 5,10. and 15 on the shelf. For my old 03 I just used ATF with good results

I've read on another previous thread on gen 3 suspension info that the weight rating isn't as important as the centi sks rating should be around 15-17.Also the airspace was 10cm on one fork and 8cm on the other side.  They used 10cm on both as the airspace.

Probably doesn't really need it based on mileage but it is 6 years old...

FWIW, I use 5 wt Belray in my Gen II.  Probably closer to OEM weight.

I have a couple charts on suspension fluid comparisons, if you are interested.  They are several years old but PM me with an email address if you want them.
I have my wheels off and figured I'd change out the fluid since the age of the fluid and I doubt it has been changed.Do you have the Verhanes Chart?

I have my wheels off and figured I'd change out the fluid since the age of the fluid and I doubt it has been changed.Do you have the Verhanes Chart?
Not sure where they originated.  Copied one from something posted here and can't remember where I got the other one.

Uploaded to Postimage.org - lets see if they can be read on the forum...

Not terribly clear but OK?  You will have to click on the image and enlarge but might be too pixelated .  PM if you want a copy of the originals (although they aren't especially high resolution either).

PVD-ISO-Viscosity-Data.gif

Suspension-oil.jpg

I figured that's the one you were hunting for RK. Good information when your favorite oil isn't available and you have to go shopping!

~G

Not sure where they originated.  Copied one from something posted here and can't remember where I got the other one.

Uploaded to Postimage.org - lets see if they can be read on the forum...

Not terribly clear but OK?  You will have to click on the image and enlarge but might be too pixelated .  PM if you want a copy of the originals (although they aren't especially high resolution either).

Thank you Ross for posting these charts.

I went heavier on my Gen2 oil. Did a mixture of two types of oil. I am happy to report I did not crash and burn. Also It wasn't done until I hit 68K on the bike. Amazingly enough the old oil came out fairly clean. I atribute that to the superior Gen2 FJR.

Good day, Dave

Not yet, I currently have 15K on the ODO. I most likely wont' replace it until I hit at least 25K miles.

I did a total fork rebuild on the Gen2 at 68K. Springs and bushings also. It was a PIA and messy.

I think I'm going to postpone doing mine for a while. I had to get the new tires on today and go for a ride.
I appreciate input on this from everyone. Thank you