2013 IBR FJR Riders Private Area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're reading this...you're in a private forum area for FJR riders that are in the '13 IBR. Feel free to share. The only people that have access to this are FJR riders in the '13 IBR, Admins (cause they have access to everything and generally won't interfere unless you all want anything from previous IBR riders), or if you as a group want to add others later on (e.g. checkpoint helpers)

Enjoy.

Matt Watkins

Riders

Ignacio, Matt Watkins, Pasco, Washington [Forum Area Manager]

karstenp, Perry Karsten, Ontario Canada

OCFJR, Eric Vaillancourt, Utah

TriggerT, Tim Pawlowski, Illinois

JustHoward, Howard Entman, Tennessee

Colin24, Colin Goodall, Canada

eeksnake, Chris Purney, Nevada

stryg8r, Derek

101stpathfinder, Tony

Forum Admins (may lookie....won't post unless they're involved in the '13 IBR)

Ignacio ('07 & '09)

skooterg ('07 & '09)

Warchild ('97)

Bounce ('03)

Slapnpop

GalaxyBlue

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me just say that I am looking forward to 2013 and the start of the rally.

But I dont think I can wait untill 2103...... :blink:

- Colin

(Edit... Thats great Matt. You fixed the typo in the title so now nowbody knows what I was talking about with the 2103 reference! :p )

I'm looking forward to the other boot dropping at the banquet and finding out if our 18 months of prep and choices suit the demands of the format well, or not.

Full disclosure, though there is still a FJR in the garage at the moment, it's for sale and I'll be riding another Yamaha product in the IBR, the Super Tenere. If this turns out to be Bill Watt's Rally from Hell with all the Canadian bonuses that were snowed in for '11, I may have an edge. If it ends up being more like '11, I'll be missing the Feej a whole lot.

If Iggy sees fit to limit this venue to strictly FJR riders, I'm ok with that. No harm, no foul. Good luck to everyone on their prep, riding and the big ride in '13.

Eric Vaillancourt

OCfjr here

EricV on the IBA & Tenere Forums

Dirty bike on ADV

P.S. I already had an IBR dream... In it, the theme of the '13 IBR is Bill Watt's creation, and it's a Dam Tour theme. It was only a dream.... or was it a premonition? :eek: Time will tell.

If Iggy sees fit to limit this venue to strictly FJR riders, I'm ok with that. No harm, no foul. Good luck to everyone on their prep, riding and the big ride in '13.
I think it's pretty fair to say you can still hang with FJR folks and contribute to the conversation. You're grandfathered Eric. :)

However, this will be a CT-free zone. The other thread will remain the red light district for that banter. ;)

I think it's pretty fair to say you can still hang with FJR folks and contribute to the conversation. You're grandfathered Eric. :)

However, this will be a CT-free zone. The other thread will remain the red light district for that banter. ;)
Gracias. FWIW, I can provide current pics of my FJR with an actual motorcycle tire on it. :rolleyes: I think I'll always be Darksider #1 on this forum though, but will not be contributing to that topic in this thread. Anyone needing that info can PM me or go to the other thread.

At the price you are asking for that well worn POS of an FJR, you are going to have it for a loooong time. So who knows, maybe you will riding it the The Show for '13.........

:fuck:

At the price you are asking for that well worn POS of an FJR, you are going to have it for a loooong time. So who knows, maybe you will riding it the The Show for '13.........

:fuck:
You know you want it Skooter, money talks, BS walks. Or in your case, rides their other FJRs. :lol:

You know how people are, everyone wants a deal. Doesn't matter if it was a brand new, zero mile bike, someone would still offer $1500. I'd take $3k in a second. Poor time of year to sell bikes though. Everyone's paying property taxes and having Xmas stuff and other unexpected stuff happen. Including me!

I have three buyers that all seem to want it, just can't come up with the cash until the first of the year. None seem to be in a hurry either. You can't find an uncrashed abs FJR for under $4500.

Thanks for setting this up Matt!

Howdy to all the other Feejer riders in the '13 Butt (you too Eric). I'm really looking forward to the ride.

-=Chris

Eric,

How many miles have you ridden your new Super Tenere?

I might need a new bike for the IBR. Please compare the ST to the FJR. Is it a replacement bike? As comfortable? other stuff?

Howard

Eric,

How many miles have you ridden your new Super Tenere?

I might need a new bike for the IBR. Please compare the ST to the FJR. Is it a replacement bike? As comfortable? other stuff?

Howard
I've posted in other places about this a bit. The following is my opinion only. I have just under 10k on the Super Tenere, (ST for the remainder of this post).

Compared to the FJR;

Cons:

The ST lacks weather protection, has no factory adjustable screen, more vibes, less consistent fuel range, significantly shorter fuel range and tires are offered in fewer options that will last ~10k and has no included luggage, but costs $14,500 to the FJR's $15,590 (MSRP to MSRP for 2012 models). You can't buy a set of bags & mounting racks for that $1090 difference from Yamaha, or most aftermarket sources.

Pros:

The ST has 4.5" more ground clearance, a more upright seating position, much greater seat to pegs distance and a better ability to go off pavement.

Fixable issues:

Both bikes often need new screens, bar risers, better lights, a custom seat, heat management items (grips, H-T for jacket/vest/gloves per rider preference), a voltmeter, extra power ports, highway pegs, a fuel cell, side stand foot, etc.

The ST also needs better guarding (skid plate, crash bars, headlight guard, etc), luggage (no factory included bags), a manual adjuster bracket for the screen, etc.

The speedo on the ST is off 8.5-9%. The FJR's was off about the same. The GPS can be used as the speedo or a speedo healer can be added to solve this issue for LD work.

The ST will do the job, but for most LD riding, the FJR is going to be more comfortable. That said, I have 162k on the FJR and 10k on the ST and the ST still needs a lot of farkling to be more comfortable for me.

So far, I've spent ~$5k on the ST. That does include a set of tires.

Touratech bags w/mounts

AltRider side stand plate, heal master cylinder guard/u-joint guard (these are at the heals, replacing the oem guards that can catch your pant leg due to open top design)

Twisted Throttle - New tank bag w/power, map case, GPS mount, fender extender

Speedo-healer w/gear indicator

larger wind screen (CalSci Med), Yamaha factory side wind deflectors

H-T for grips and Sympatex grip heater kit

Misc electrical stuff, power ports, plugs, aux power fuse block, switches, wiring kits, etc.

SS braided brake lines to replace the front fender cross over line

I still need/want:

custom seat, LED aux lights, fuel cell, skid plate/crash bars, fender raising kit (I'm working on that myself), highway pegs (will attach some to the crash bars), volt meter and who knows what else. Like a better hydration system. Some stuff I will make or build into/add onto other items.

I didn't buy the ST to be a rally bike, but an adventure touring bike. Had I realized I was going to put in for the IBR, I would have kept the FJR as it was in full rally trim, and spent the money on the IBR. At this point I am still trying to sell the FJR, but it's not possible to put it back to rally trim as nearly all of the things needed have been sold. The ST needs more farkling and more funds to get it to rally trim. Some of those things I would not need for touring, some I would, but it's harder to do it slow like I did with the FJR and budget is always a concern. I lack the wherewithal to just spend that much cash at one time or pay someone else to do the work.

Sorry for the long winded response. I like some fit issues on the ST better. Swapping bikes to ride the FJR the other day reminded me that I really like the foot peg position of the ST, and that the FJR's turbine like, smoooth power will be missed on the ST's parallel twin motor. The ST has plenty of power, it's just not as smooth or as much as the FJR. I can be comfortable on either bike, but hugely miss the power windscreen on the FJR when I'm riding the ST. You could just tweak it any time you needed to with the push of a button. I do like the more upright body position on the ST, but I was comfortable in the "Sport-Touring Slouch" on the FJR too.

The ST has plenty of power, it's just not as smooth or as much as the FJR. I can be comfortable on either bike, but hugely miss the power windscreen on the FJR when I'm riding the ST. You could just tweak it any time you needed to with the push of a button.
Sounds like between these two Yamaha platforms, the FJR is the one to have for IBR purposes. The very few times where the S10 might be better (Bristlecone Pine Tree bonus, etc) likely doesn't overcome the advantages of the FJR for thousands and thousands of interstate/highway miles during the 11 days.

That said, I do like the S10 quite a bit, and for your original purchase reasoning (adventure touring), this bike seems extremely attractive.

In a multi-surface environment, the ST is way more fun than the FJR. For a rally bike though, the FJR has a big edge.

I think the Sport-Touring class of bikes is the prime choice for LD riding and rally use. Not as heavy as the full Touring bikes and more comfort. The Dual-Sport or Big Trailie class bikes like the GS, Super Ten and soon to come Triumph 1200 offer different features, but at the cost of weather protection and extra expense to set up.

The FJR could use a larger alternator, but we've been saying that for years. And will, until we get a 1000 watt unit. :lol:

To Howard, if you really feel the need to replace the current FJR, I would strongly suggest you get a new FJR and swap your farkles over. Unless you have some specific issues that you feel you must improve/change, the FJR is an outstanding rally platform.

Good analysis Eric. My only issue with what you said is the speedo error. Gen I FJRs are known to have about 2-3% speedo error, Gen IIs about 5%. Not sure where you get that 8-9%? Interestingly, with the current Exalto out rear, my speedo is pretty much exact now.

Good analysis Eric. My only issue with what you said is the speedo error. Gen I FJRs are known to have about 2-3% speedo error, Gen IIs about 5%. Not sure where you get that 8-9%? Interestingly, with the current Exalto out rear, my speedo is pretty much exact now.
You're no doubt correct Greg. My error. I meant to say that the ST is 8.5% and was going to try and find what the FJR was, put in a value to that spot, then forgot to go look and correct before I hit post. :dribble:

I do remember the FJR being 3-5 mph off at 65 mph from before I had the CT. DougC was always asking me why I rode so slow!

And yes, the larger diameter of the CT tends to correct the speedo/odo error nicely. With my original BT 019G, I passed tech in a couple of rallies with a correction factor of -0-. It will change slightly with wear.

Interesting. My Gen 2 has proven to have just over a 1% speedo error when compared with the GPS. I know of a Gen 1 that is the same. Obviously varies bike to bike.

18 months of prep
EIGHTEEN months? Luxury! Try 3 to 6 with a new bike just received 9 months before the big dance. I suspect, if they try hard enough, someone can get their credit card smoking more but it won't be easy. :D

Best of luck to everyone in this list of competitors.

EIGHTEEN months? Luxury! Try 3 to 6 with a new bike just received 9 months before the big dance. I suspect, if they try hard enough, someone can get their credit card smoking more but it won't be easy. :D

Best of luck to everyone in this list of competitors.
Luxury indeed, and we'll take it all baby! :yahoo: Some years got a lot less notice. Hopefully the noobs will make good use of the time we have. I'm always shocked when some noob shows up to the start of the IBR with zero rally experience, despite the significant notice. Seems to happen every IBR though.