2013 IBR FJR Riders Private Area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lesson I learned was that, in an IBR year (when I had to stop rallying to save cash for bike mods and The Event), it's best to ramp up your rally schedule and get as many miles in the saddle as possible. The cut back for me made a big difference in how The Event affected me physically and emotionally. It made it more like a first SS1K than the 5th one.

Infinite time off from work and infinite money would have helped a lot to make more rallying possible in the year and a half leading up to the starting line. Mod (if you must) but whenever possible, ride Ride RIDE!

The lesson I learned was that, in an IBR year (when I had to stop rallying to save cash for bike mods and The Event), it's best to ramp up your rally schedule and get as many miles in the saddle as possible. The cut back for me made a big difference in how The Event affected me physically and emotionally. It made it more like a first SS1K than the 5th one.

Infinite time off from work and infinite money would have helped a lot to make more rallying possible in the year and a half leading up to the starting line. Mod (if you must) but whenever possible, ride Ride RIDE!
+1

Excellent advice.

Hi guys,

Great to be a part of the FJR team again! Looking forward to catching up with some old FJR friends.

Bike is battle tested and ready to go. Only a few adjustments required to the bike based on some minor things that bothered me last year. Hoping that the new Shoei modular comes out soon in North America so that I can break in a replacement helmet next summer. I also plan on sending my old Roadcrater to Aerostich to get the zippers replaced with the new waterproof model (the old zippers had a nasty habit of leaking on me).

Other than that, I plan on going with the same setup, gear etc I used in 2011. Certainly makes the preparation part less stressfull. Once the snow clears in the spring, I can focus on racking up the miles and entering as many rallies as possible to hone up the routing skills.

Looking forward to this!! :)

Hello everyone. Glad to see all the FJR riders in the big show. I'm back for another shot at the 3 digit number. Planning on riding a little more conservatively this time around with the simple goal of crossing the finish line....in tact.

Perry - You going to make it down for the BL this summer? Only a few more slots left. :)

Hello everyone. Glad to see all the FJR riders in the big show. I'm back for another shot at the 3 digit number. Planning on riding a little more conservatively this time around with the simple goal of crossing the finish line....in tact.

Perry - You going to make it down for the BL this summer? Only a few more slots left. :)
Glad to hear it Derek!

Derek,

Great to see you on board!! Unfortunately, I will not be doing the BL this summer due to other commitments. I am sure that it will be a great time. I will definitely be chearing for all my fellow FJR family members...

Perry

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the rider list, I can see I am the most underqualified nonrallying rider here.

But I am the luckiest son of a gun in the world right now. :yahoo:

I was looking forward to following the '13 rally since I know and have met most of you.

And now I have the honor to ride in the same rally ! While most of you are putting final

touches on readying yourselves, I am at ground zero. I have but one goal- TO FINISH.

That 3 digit #... WOW. :rolleyes:

Congrats Tony! I am happy for you!

As for your UCCC - forget about it! You need to start riding rallies ASAP!

Congrats Tony! I am happy for you!

As for your UCCC - forget about it! You need to start riding rallies ASAP!
Thanks Greg,

I have done cert rides in rally format, rallying was planned after my list.

I have signed up for the 10n'10 in SLC as this rally should give me experience

in bonus collecting and time management. The area that concerns me is routing

on the clock. I have NO computer skills what so ever. I want to focus in on that

area with smaller rallies which deal with other weak points of mine. The VOID is

another rally I am considering for its location. I am just having to fast forward my

schedule now. But I will not give up the UCCC. I will however most likely drop my 4

corners ride. I will still ride around 50,000 miles next season, which will force a decision

on another FJR next fall.

I know it sounds funny, but my cert rides were done as learning tools. The Palms to Pines

to Palms put me on Gravel, the Great Lakes 10/10ths had me crossing borders constantly.

The BBG Trifecta taught me fuel cell use and constant pounding... All these rides have been

for experience and done for one purpose- to attain a 3 digit IBA #. Maybe that seems self

serving- I don't know. I really didn't know if I would ever get the chance for the IBR. So

I am still pinching myself.

Once you have that veteran status, a draw is much more likely. So I just want to take care

of that 1st. My rides have put me in contact with many riders that I now consider my friends.

You being one of them. Heck... I started really riding only 2 and 1/2 years ago despite riding

bikes since age 10. I am living a dream right now !!!

The area that concerns me is routing

on the clock. I have NO computer skills what so ever. I want to focus in on that

area with smaller rallies which deal with other weak points of mine.
The Void will help. The 10 n' 10 much less because you do all the planning well in advance. It's a different critter.

You've got 18 months and a dreamshot here......GET computer skills!

A basic laptop with Windows, copy of Streets and Trips, and some sample rallies (the '09 has actual coordinate files online). Call up or visit a vet and get some advice. ;)

'11 was certainly different than '09 and earlier....and '13 has every indication of not necessarily being like the past. But, the skills one gains from those will undoubtedly help.

Last edited by a moderator: