2013 Tire Swap?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Foley

Reaction score
Noob Tire Question -

I have heard good things about the Michelin PR3 tires. Would it be worthwhile to swap the OEM tires (8 miles) for PR3's and either keep the OEM's as spares or sell them as "ever so slightly" used.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Think less, ride more!

Riding more will get you those PR3s sooner than later!

Tires are personal. One man's Holy Grail is another's garbage. I've noticed not everybody loves the PR3s though most do.

What do you want out of your FJR's tires? Ultimate traction and ride quality? Or the longest life? Economy? Or something in the middle?

What are they putting on the 13's anyway? Still Metzlers?
Bridgestone Battleaxe 023 'GT' spec, but one made specifically for the FJR. Which to me, means it is probably not as good as the aftermarket 023 'GT' spec.

Wear out the tires that came with it!

With any luck they'll be gone in a few short months and if you like them, can replace with same and if not, many other options to check out.

--G

Think less, ride more!

Tires are personal. One man's Holy Grail is another's garbage. I've noticed not everybody loves the PR3s though most do.

What do you want out of your FJR's tires? Ultimate traction and ride quality? Or the longest life? Economy? Or something in the middle?
SkooterG - you nailed it, ultimate traction and ride quality. Riding alot. Just not the FJR, that's what probably has me over thinking

Think less, ride more!

SkooterG - you nailed it, ultimate traction and ride quality. Riding alot. Just not the FJR, that's what probably has me over thinking
For ride quality and ultimate traction, my favorite tire is the Conti Motion. It's cheap too! Just don't expect them to last very long. Soft rubber = fun, but short life.

Wear out the stock tires. The bike has a break in period anyways.

My personal choice is the pilot road 2s. A bit cheaper then the PR3s - The only difference in terms of performance is wet traction.

There's been a few scary stories about PR3 failures however. A few people here complained about PR3 front tires feeling squishy.

I wanted a tire for commuting that would work in the wet, last long and also stick in the twisties.

So far the PR3 has made me a happy camper.

YMMV

If you've got enough good sense to get rid of the factory tires, isn't it likely that nobody else is going to want them either? I certainly wouldn't want them. Because they'll be sold w/o a warranty, you probably won't get a whole lot for them anyway. Is it really worth it to trade them out NOW? If it were me, I'd just ride em till they're fried and then move up to something else. My factory tires were done at 6k miles. It's likely that yours won't last a real long time either.

Do you really have so much more money than sense not to wear out what's on the bike before replacing them w/o a really good reason?

Yeah!

Go ahead and take them off and I'll give you $50 + shipping for that pos set of 023 GT's.

I'll give you $100 for the set. The 023's are my favorite tire on the FJR. But....just do yourself a favor and keep them on. As a new rider I can guarantee you'd never know the difference between PR3's and the 'stone's before either set would wear out.