2014 A Handling/Suspension Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto what Bergman said...

The Gen 3 (A) is sprung stiffer (and hopefully lasts longer) than the Gen 1 or 2. (I was often stiffening up the '03 front and rear to hit the twisties.)

Now on the '13, I set both front and rear to 'Standard' settings, it rides smooth yet supple, and for twisties I just turn the dampener knob 2 or 3 clicks harder.
punk.gif

I set everything to medium. Better. Still nowhere near what I'm used to (just doesn't handle as well in corners, any corners), but some of that is just spending time on the bike. Will continue to fine tune using suggestions here. Thank you all.

How are the main steering head bearings?? If they are the factory units, there could be slack in them enough to cause things that can't be adjusted out. My '14 developed enough movement before 2000 miles to drive me bonkers. Had them replaced with tapered roller bearings. Front end feels proper now. Factory ball bearings can inflict a "motion" into front that will turn into a pattern that will show itself even on tire wear. Happens on gold wings also. Hard to describe and put into words, I'm not a tech. but I know my bike and work with some great techs.

I set everything to medium. Better. Still nowhere near what I'm used to (just doesn't handle as well in corners, any corners), but some of that is just spending time on the bike. Will continue to fine tune using suggestions here. Thank you all.
the pogo you are feeling is certainly a lack of rebound damping as suggested. If you feel the bike is difficult to turn into a corner, you may need to adjust your front preload a line or so. The more you "lower" the front, the quicker the bike will turn in.

Front end has still felt "busy". Steering input resulting in busy and unsettled feeling, even in the flat straight. Increased the front preload a few more cranks. The front end is a little harsh, a little too much road feedback, but it handles like a motorcycle should now. I may experiement with backing off a tiny bit to balance the harshness with the rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I read your last post, I backed off a quarter turn preload. Forgot there was a suspension this morning. Just rode it hard and everything was good. It was so bad before, once the familiar feeling and performance came back (in other words, it started feeling like my last bike), I was overjoyed. I can deal with poor wind protection and a little forward lean, but poor handling was making me second guess the purchase.