2014 Covered Bridges of New Hampshire Tour - Oct 18th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will be in NH but it won't be in Hancock. My daughter is having a party on the same day. If it gets moved to Sunday there may be a possibility for us to show.

Dave

We couldn't do this on Sunday as that is our daughters birthday!

Weather looks like it will be great for rides or parties. Sorry we'll miss you guys.

In!

(And this time with room for a Fiddleheads' loaf or two also.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure I just rode past this creek Monday. Oops, wrong coast but the creek sure looks the same.

100_4714.jpg

Good to hear, guys. It should be a real nice day for a ride. Not too much dirt though, Russ... sorry. ;)

Oh, and we call those running water things that go under the Covered Bridges either rivers or streams here in the east.

Creek is what your bed springs do when you are gettin' at it with your ol' lady.
blush2.gif

I'm all set for the dirt roads, we've been practicing recently. It's so much better when it's someone else motorcycle and they wash the bike after I get it encrusted with dirt :lol:

Maybe we can meet the left coast Bohemians half way and just call the running water a brook, a term neither coast uses ;)

Oh, and we call those running water things that go under the Covered Bridges either rivers or streams here in the east.

Creek is what your bed springs do when you are gettin' at it with your ol' lady.
blush2.gif
No, no, I live across the street from the Esopus Creek.

The noise my bed makes, and my bones too often make, is a creak.
tonguesmiley.gif

Boy - this is turning into a real shin dig!!!

It's a little too far for me to run up there, unfortunately. But one day I seriously like to do a bridge tour on the bike.

Ya'll have a good time - bring the camera. I'll be checking the ride report board....

Good to hear, guys. It should be a real nice day for a ride. Not too much dirt though, Russ... sorry.
wink.png

blush2.gif

creek
krēk/
noun
noun: creek; plural noun: creeks
  1. North AmericanAustralian/New Zealand
    a stream, brook, or minor tributary of a river.
    synonyms: stream, river, brook, rivulet, freshet, runnel, rill, tributary, watercourse, bourn;
    informalcrick
    "marsh marigolds grow along the creek"
    • an inlet in a shoreline, a channel in a marsh, or another narrow, sheltered waterway.
      synonyms: stream, river, brook, rivulet, freshet, runnel, rill, tributary, watercourse, bourn;
      informalcrick
      "marsh marigolds grow along the creek"

creak
      krēk/
      verb
      verb: creak; 3rd person present: creaks; past tense: creaked; past participle: creaked; gerund or present participle: creaking

(of an object, typically a wooden one) make a harsh, high-pitched sound when being moved or when pressure or weight is applied.
      "the stairs creaked as she went up them"
      synonyms: squeak, grate, rasp; More
      groan, complain
      "the rusty gate creaked in the wind"

show weakness or frailty under strain.
      "stock prices creaked to a mixed finish today"
    noun
    noun: creak; plural noun: creaks

1. 1.
      a harsh scraping or squeaking sound.
      "the creak of a floorboard broke the silence"

squeak
    skwēk/
    noun
    noun: squeak; plural noun: squeaks

1. 1.
      a short, high-pitched sound or cry.
      "the door opened with a slight squeak"
      synonyms: peep, cheep, pipe, squeal, tweet, yelp, whimper More
      "the vole's squeak"

screech, creak, scrape, grate, rasp, jar, groan
      "the squeak of the hinge"

a single remark, statement, or communication.
      "I didn't hear a squeak from him for months"
verb
verb: squeak; 3rd person present: squeaks; past tense: squeaked; past participle: squeaked; gerund or present participle: squeaking

1. 1.
    make a high-pitched sound or cry.
    "he oiled the hinges to stop them from squeaking"
    • say something in a nervous or excited high-pitched tone.
      "“You're scaring me,” she squeaked"
    • informal
      inform on someone.

2. 2.
    informal
    succeed in achieving something by a very narrow margin.
    "the bill squeaked through with just six votes to spare"

tonguesmiley.gif

For anyone interested, here's the skinny on the creeks that we'll be riding over and around.

If you look closely at the ride route, these covered bridges mostly cross the same 3 rivers several times. The first six bridges that we ride over, down in the southwest NH Monadnock region, all cross the Ashuelot River, which is the creek seen in the photos above. The main (north) branch of the Ashulot starts from a series of connected ponds in Pillsbury State Park, all the way up in Washington, and it winds its way south and west, down to the Connecticut River in Hinsdale.

The next two bridges (the only 2 you can't ride over anymore) go over Great Brook and then Cold River, which Great Brook is a tributary of. The Cold River joins the Connecticut in Walpole, which is also where we'll be having lunch. We'll be following the Cold River for quite a while, riding on Rte 123A and River Rd, the bumpiest parts of the ride.

At the northern most point of the ride, we'll make a little loop around Lake Sunapee, then the next three covered bridges all cross the Warner River. The Warner River headwaters are a series of brooks, also in Washington, NH from which the river flows eastward.

The final bridge is across the much larger Contoocook River, which the Warner flows into. The Contoocok (after adding the Warner and Blackwater) flows east to the mighty Merrimack in Pennacook. So a rain drop in Washington NH can flow west to the Connecticut River or East to the Merrimack. It's like a little New Hampshire Divide.
wink.png

And all that water that joins the Mighty Merrimac passes through my neighborhood just before it becomes part of the Atlantic Ocean. And starts the circle of life cycle all over again.

As you've figured out by now, we won't be joining in this year. We've been on the fence all week. We spent last weekend playing up in Waterville Valley and ignored a mile-long list of things we should have been taking care of back home.

We were debating on ignoring them for another weekend to get a ride in. Life has been so crazy that the bikes haven't moved since the day we got home from the Bar Harbor trip.

Yesterday, however, the stars aligned -- it was a warm, sunny day and both of us snagged a day off, so we put it to good use and spent the day riding west of the Quabbin. Today and tomorrow we tackle the list of long-ignored chores.

Here's hoping the clouds clear and the sun comes out so you can enjoy the fall colors as much as we did yesterday. Have fun and ride safe!

Well, we got up-close and personal with some of the water that was destined to flow to the Connecticut and mighty Merrimack rivers today.

This morning it was only misty, but while we were outside (under the overhang) having lunch at Diamond Pizza in Walpole, a big cell passed over and dumped a good amount of water in about 5 minutes time. The noise of the approaching deluge was incredible. It sounded like a locomotive coming down the tracks.

After lunch, rather than riding right back into that nasty stuff, we diverted southwards first and then meandered back to the east through just some off and on normal rain. By the time we got back around to Manchester the sun was out again taunting us!

At least we got half of the ride route in. Too bad we didn't get to finish. I had added a bunch of new parts into the afternoon route that would have been fun on a dry road. Oh well, better luck next time.

Thanks to the folks that showed up today. Hopefully you had some fun even if it was a bit of suboptimal weather.

I figured you guys got a little more. When I crossed into Vt. and saw the signs for 91 pointing me north I knew better and headed back to take 12 down to 9 where I hit some more rain along the way. All was good until just before Springfield. When cars are using their 4-ways and the wake is coming over the Jersey wall you know it's time to pull off. Waited about 15 minutes and then just dealt with the remnants of it all for a bit. Home now with everything spread open. Guess I forgot to spray that tail bag after all.
fool.gif

Thanks Fred for making this happen. As always a nice ride (rain or not the colors were spectacular) and it was great to see everyone again.

Yesterday, however, the stars aligned -- it was a warm, sunny day and both of us snagged a day off, so we put it to good use and spent the day riding west of the Quabbin.
And you didn't wave??
smile.png
That day we had lunch in Ware, up 202, across the top of the res, coffee in Barre and then up through Leominster State Forest on the way to Manchester. Next time give a shout!

Thanks Fred for hosting this ride, I had a great day and ride even with the rain. It was fun riding with everyone. Thanks again.

Bill