2014 Covered Bridges of New Hampshire Tour - Oct 18th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you made it up for it, Bill. It was great seeing and riding with you again. Hope to do so again soon.

Our pictures are at the 1 hour photo, soon to be released!

OK, here's what we got for pictures in the AM. After lunch the camera stayed hidden away from the rain.

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4048.jpg

Someone was following us!

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

There was some good color, but with the flat light it doesn't look all that great in the photos.

IMG_4057.jpg

And of course, there were some bridges to be crossed. We hit six of the planned dozen...

Carlton Bridge

IMG_4064.jpg

Sawyer's Crossing Bridge

IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

West Swanzey Bridge

IMG_4073.jpg

Gloomy skies

IMG_4074.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

Slate Bridge

IMG_4079.jpg

Coombs Bridge

IMG_4081.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

And the Ashuelot Bridge

IMG_4089.jpg

Some of the characters who came along:

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

In the back you see professor ionbeam and Helen working on getting a camera to self time for the group shot. We did manage to get one, but it needd a little photo editing to straighten things out. I'm sure they will be along to post the final version pretty soon.

From here it was a quick jaunt up route 63 through Chesterfield, and past Spofford Lake

IMG_4095.jpg

More angry skies as we passed one of several working farms in Westmoreland

IMG_4100.jpg

Looking across the Connecticut River valley into the Green Mountain State

IMG_4104.jpg

We did pass these flower children. Must have been heading home from Vermont, the northeastern home for a lot of 60's drop-outs.

IMG_4107.jpg

Mmmm... must be near lunch time

IMG_4106.jpg

That was all we got. Hopefully some others took a few worthy photos.

I missed it the ride! :(

My sister's farm party was a little rainy too. Instead of motorcycling I got to do tractoring. This is what I plan to do when I'm retired and 90 years old. Tractoring.

10406430_1583589708531050_838288848092039606_n.jpg

^^^^^

Looks really fun!!! Both the tractoring and the Bridges ride
smile.png

I noticed that the photo with the three fjr's in it; all of them had the longer mirrors. Hmmmmm, must be on to something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pix Fred, you're camerawoman does a great job! Catch you next time when the forecast is a bit less soggy.

Ed

Yeah thanks. To be perfectly honest I was never that big a fan of the stock 2nd/3rd gen mirrors even in the "looks" department.

The Erector Set girder mirror arms don't do it for me, even if they are color matched to the bike. Plus there is that whole "pivoting the wrong way" thing.

It was nice having the FZ1's on for this group ride as I could easily keep tabs on the other bikes behind me.

I finally got the pictures from the cameras and some time to do a quick sort. Fred already has the bridges covered
wink.png
so I'll just post the group mug shot and some of the scenics that haven't already been posted. It was mostly a dull gray day and the rain kept the cameras at bay.

IMG_6377b_zpscdc685fd.jpg

L - R Fred W and TMJ, ionbeams Alan 'n Helen, bigogre Mike, FJReady Russ, scorpa Bill, MrMOtO Dewin

IMG_6129b_zps7fd90ccf.jpg

IMG_6131c_zpsb3e017e4.jpg

IMG_6224b_zps9a980309.jpg

IMG_6508b_zps5aaa0c97.jpg

In the picture below I removed the unsightly wires and I ran them in underground conduits
wink.png

IMG_6508d_zps2118e4d9.jpg

Below, a good picture of a NH chicken.
IMG_6159b_zpsb455be05.jpg

IMG_6228b_zpsafbe05fa.jpg

IMG_6370b_zps2f3db8b2.jpg

IMG_6191b_zpsa5a51044.jpg

IMG_6194b_zps211cb771.jpg

IMG_6154b_zpsc17b2e43.jpg

IMG_6471b_zps5e4a936d.jpg

IMG_6241b_zpsc0104289.jpg

IMG_6272b_zps66effc24.jpg

IMG_6491b_zps83c6eb5f.jpg

IMG_6518b_zpsc3dd44c1.jpg

Two more pictures to end it all. These two bicyclists got a surprise when they pulled into this parking lot and looked up.

IMG_6251b_zps84ad41e7.jpg

Umm, ya....
IMG_6185a_zps9f7d9607.jpg

Yes, great work with the camera Helen! Great work with the editing software Alan!

Folks may notice that we had a lot of foliage color for our ride. Only most of it was already on the ground under the trees!
tonguesmiley.gif

edit - Where was that one that you repeated?

(I want to buy that place)

...edit - Where was that one that you repeated?
You will notice that I thoughtfully buried the electrical services to the farm for you in the second picture. You will be purchasing The Inn at Valley Farms B&B, Cottages, and Vacation Farmhouse, 633 Wentworth Rd, Walpole, NH 03608 (43.034455, -72.425802). Well, you may be able to rent a room there
wink.png
We went up Blackjack Crossing near Walpole then turned left on Wentworth Rd., the B&B is ~2.5k feet from the left turn; just after the apple orchard at the top of the hill on the left and a big red farm on the right. That will leave you quite convenient to Burdick's for breakfast :lol:

The pictures are not in ride sequence. Hope that doesn't spoil them
smile.png

Actually, I did not notice that until you pointed it out. I'm a country boy, so stuff like power lines do not distract my eye as much as some city slicker.

Yeah, the Inn at Valley Farms... I should have known that. It was actually a waypoint on the route (if you were listening to your girl, Garmina, along the way).

And I would possibly buy that place, except it is in Walpole. There is a certain stuffiness about Walpole that I can't get past (not just because of the Burr-Dicks. I have other reasons). But a country B&B might be an interesting thing to do in retirement, don't you think?

But a country B&B might be an interesting thing to do in retirement, don't you think?
Sounds great but who is going to run it when you are out riding? Something like that would be an anchor. If you were in the heart of ski country, a winter B&B might be more practical unless you want to head south for the ugly season. I don't ski or snowmobile so I positively HATE winter.

All jobs are anchors, Ross. The trick is to find the one you dislike the least. That, or marry a really rich old woman on her death bed who will leave everything to you.
And find one that you have sumtin in common with!

strange_dressed_people_21.jpg

Alan-

Awesome pics and color btw! If you do a NE fall peeper next year?, I gotta fit it in.

...edit - Where was that one that you repeated?

You will notice that I thoughtfully buried the electrical services to the farm for you in the second picture. You will be purchasing The Inn at Valley Farms B&B, Cottages, and Vacation Farmhouse, 633 Wentworth Rd, Walpole, NH 03608 (43.034455, -72.425802). Well, you may be able to rent a room there
wink.png
We went up Blackjack Crossing near Walpole then turned left on Wentworth Rd., the B&B is ~2.5k feet from the left turn; just after the apple orchard at the top of the hill on the left and a big red farm on the right. That will leave you quite convenient to Burdick's for breakfast
laugh.png

The pictures are not in ride sequence. Hope that doesn't spoil them
smile.png
I didn't notice that you had removed the cables. In fact I didn't notice that the picture was repeated.
unknw.gif
I guess I do need new glasses, but my insurance won't pay for them until April, so I'm going to have to stumble around bumping into things until then.

Anyway, I like the second picture much better, the one without the cables. Nice photoshopping.