2014 FJR1300 Cruise Control. ......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good catch!

Scooter,

Please use your considerable influence with Yamaha to convince them to give a fix for this to us poor '13 owners--it's only right since it was an obvious errror on their part and has now been corrected. I could live with 100MPH, just not 80.
I would gladly take that POS 13 off yer hands as it has obviously dropped considerably in value.

Good catch!

Scooter,

Please use your considerable influence with Yamaha to convince them to give a fix for this to us poor '13 owners--it's only right since it was an obvious errror on their part and has now been corrected. I could live with 100MPH, just not 80.
I would gladly take that POS 13 off yer hands as it has obviously dropped considerably in value.
Just what I was thinking! The 80 mph limit is not a big deal East of the Mississippi River. Those poor Western guys have all those wide open spaces and high speed limits. I could make do just fine with 80 mph.

According to the 2014 Owners Manual, Top set speed for Cruise is 100mph
Clipboard01_zps18580d1b.jpg
God damn it! I buy the 13 and miss out on the Sweet assed new red color and the fixed Cruise control. I feel like a rolling road block runnning on the interstates up here at 80 MPH. I swear I get passed by little old ladies in Buicks around here that run over 80.

Yamaha HAS to have a way to flash the '13 bike ECU's to do this. I'll happily pay a few hundred dollars to get that fix.
To extend this slightly farther I went through the fiche of all years and models from 2013 to 2003 to try and refresh my memory and see if I could make some inferences.

Current Fiche, Replaced Part # (if applicable), Price

2014 ? ? ?

2013 1MC-8591A-21-00 1MC-8591A-20-00 $757.70

2012 3P6-8591A-A0-00 $ 844.38

2011 3P6-8591A-A0-00 $ 844.38

2010 3P6-8591A-A0-00 $ 848.30

2009 3P6-8591A-A0-00 $ 848.30

2008 3P6-8591A-60-00 $ 848.30

2007 3P6-8591A-23-00 3P6-8591A-22-00 $ 848.30

2006 3P6-8591A-23-00 3P6-8591A-20-00 $ 848.30

2005 5JW-8591A-32-00 $ 848.30

2004 5JW-8591A-32-00 5JW-8591A-31-00 $ 848.30

2003 5JW-8591A-32-00 5JW-8591A-30-00 $ 848.30

While I certainly never memorized the ECU model for each year and don't remember exactly how it went down....I do remember some things.

1) They changed computers in the 2003, 2004, and 2005 time frame...every year. I think we had some discussions and opined they were trying to program their way out of what ended up being the premature valve guide wear issue. Could have been emissions too.

2) In 2006 and 2007 there WAS a formal Yamaha bulletin and REPLACED computers at no cost to the owners. (The chart below hints at that)

3) It was logical to assume that computers would change with big changes like Generations of the FJR. It's also probably logical to assume that you can't (or shouldn't go stick a Gen 1 computer in a Gen 3 bike...and the obvious permutations...I think the beginning 3 digits of each part series may affirm this)

4) I'm not sure what 2008 was about. It calls it's own part number. Likely not ABS as that would seem to have carried forward.

5) 2009-2012 shows ECU model stability.

That said, I wonder if the "current" 2013 computer in fiche and "replaced" number represent the upcoming part number for 2014 that includes a higher cruise number. It's possible if somebody with a '13 goes out to their bike, looks at their ECU part number, and it shows as 1MC-8591A-20-00--that '14s will have 1MC-8591A-21-00 and work interchangeably. Once 2014 parts fiches come out we might be able to confirm...or deny...or alter this.
smile.png

I also noticed the Gen 3 computers appear to be a bit cheaper than Gen 1 and Gen 2 computers (from the one source). Not cheap, but I think it's likely somebody could pony up $750 for the higher cruise speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha HAS to have a way to flash the '13 bike ECU's to do this. I'll happily pay a few hundred dollars to get that fix.
Why do you say that? They haven't ever flashed the ECU's of any previous model before that I've ever heard of. In fact, they REPLACED computers on the '06/07 Altitude issue. You would think if they had the ability to flash computers--they would have done it then.

I suppose its technically possible the Gen 3 computers are different, however I'll bet against it. I vaguely remember a discussion years past that the computers are not flashable as well.

And what would the petition say? "I knew when I bought my '13 that the cruise limit was 80 mph, but now that you are selling a '14 with a higher limit I want you to replace my computer for free....or I'll hold my breath!"
wink.png

Maybe you should go price a '12 and '13 computer from an online source. If cost-effective--I would think a '14 computer would run the same price and possibly replace the '13 computer. As a Gen 3 owner you might want to do this legwork....I think the forum would be thankful.
They certainly have the ability to flash ECU, but maybe not the desire. People are flashing the Super Tenere ECU's all the time using the standard port and flash tools. The FJR has the same ECU port so I can't see why a flash isn't possible. If Yamaha doesn't do it, and I doubt they will, I hope some of the more educated out there can't work it out and create a flash.

Why do you say that? They haven't ever flashed the ECU's of any previous model before that I've ever heard of. In fact, they REPLACED computers on the '06/07 Altitude issue. You would think if they had the ability to flash computers--they would have done it then.

I suppose its technically possible the Gen 3 computers are different, however I'll bet against it. I vaguely remember a discussion years past that the computers are not flashable as well.

And what would the petition say? "I knew when I bought my '13 that the cruise limit was 80 mph, but now that you are selling a '14 with a higher limit I want you to replace my computer for free....or I'll hold my breath!"
wink.png

Maybe you should go price a '12 and '13 computer from an online source. If cost-effective--I would think a '14 computer would run the same price and possibly replace the '13 computer. As a Gen 3 owner you might want to do this legwork....I think the forum would be thankful.
They certainly have the ability to flash ECU, but maybe not the desire. People are flashing the Super Tenere ECU's all the time using the standard port and flash tools. The FJR has the same ECU port so I can't see why a flash isn't possible. If Yamaha doesn't do it, and I doubt they will, I hope some of the more educated out there can't work it out and create a flash.
And ECUNLEASHED has a flash for the FJR's. Let's hope Mamayama does the right thing; inasmuch as they have tacitly admitted that the 80 MPH limit was an error.

wink.png

And ECUNLEASHED has a flash for the FJR's. Let's hope Mamayama does the right thing; inasmuch as they have tacitly admitted that the 80 MPH limit was an error.
I still wouldn't hold your breath on the last one. ;)

That said, you may be right that it's possible, but searching previous discussion on that particular company it does seem possible. I stand corrected. :)

I do find it curious that nobody (in 2 or 3 threads on this forum) has or know somebody who has used their service.

Maybe since you've got a '13 you want to go talk with the company and see if they want to extend their offering beyond just 2005-2009. ;)

wink.png

I still wouldn't hold your breath on the last one.
wink.png

That said, you may be right that it's possible, but searching previous discussion on that particular company it does seem possible. I stand corrected.
smile.png

I do find it curious that nobody (in 2 or 3 threads on this forum) has or know somebody who has used their service.

Maybe since you've got a '13 you want to go talk with the company and see if they want to extend their offering beyond just 2005-2009.
wink.png
I'd never heard of ECUUNLEASHED. I just logged onto their site and sent them an inquiry. I'm hoping if they come up with a flash it'll include the CC limit change and remove the HP stops in the first 3 gears.

No way I'd let some backyard with internet based company anywhere near my ECU. A Power Commander just modifies its output. If the PC goes FUBAR, all you gotta do is unplug it.

If those guys FUBAR your ECU, you're done, and out a shit was of cash.

I just gotta say…

It’s funny to me how for the last year the speed demons around here have been throwing it out there:

Come on… some techy-type guy out there must have a way of busting me free of this snails-paced CC limit so that I can keep up with all the little ol’ ladies from Pasadena that are blowing past me at 120 MPH. Surely it can’t be that hard….I’m sure a 12-year-old kid with a souped-up Atari could do it…come on…anybody....nobody?”

And then when someone comes along saying “Yup, we can do that” you hear “Whoa…nobody without a Ph.D. in computer science is going anywhere near my ECU!”
lol2.gif

wink.png

I still wouldn't hold your breath on the last one.
wink.png

That said, you may be right that it's possible, but searching previous discussion on that particular company it does seem possible. I stand corrected.
smile.png

Maybe since you've got a '13 you want to go talk with the company and see if they want to extend their offering beyond just 2005-2009.
wink.png
I did. They Gen III's but haven't updated their website.

No way I'd let some backyard with internet based company anywhere near my ECU. A Power Commander just modifies its output. If the PC goes FUBAR, all you gotta do is unplug it.
If those guys FUBAR your ECU, you're done, and out a shit was of cash.
A whole bunch of the Tenere' guys have the ECUNLEASHED flash and the feedback so far is uniformly good. I contacted the company and they do have a flash for the GEN III FJR's but it does nothing for the CC limit. And it's unlikely that they will address this as it's a one-year problem so the potential sales are pretty low.

I can just see the resale value of 2013's dropping with this cruise control "problem".

Good thing I waited for the '14!
smile.png