2015 14th annual Ride to the Rock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just heard from Chris (TheAxeman) and he's coming along with the regulars. Forcast is for mid 40's with a chance of a spotty shower as a cold front comes in. 64 degrees right now.

George,

What time is KSU? I looked back in this thread for it, and either I missed it or it wasn't stated.

Current weather guesses for tomorrow AM, here in SNH, are 60% chance of rain, 40 degrees, and not clearing till 2 PM.

Sure wish it had been planned for today. Even up in Vermont, (where we were for Turkey fest) it was beautiful, in the mid 60's and bright sunshine.

I'll likely play it by ear in the AM, but if it's going to be a two hour highway slog in the rain down to Rhode Island, I may have to bail out (again).

I've never ridden to Plymouth as part of this ride, but my family was blessed to spend Thanksgiving in Plymouth in 1998.

I've always loved Plymouth, dating back to childhood when I remember visiting Plimouth Plantation, the Mayflower, and the rock in Elementary School.

For those who do not live near the area, it is definitely worth checking out some day when you are thinking about a vacation destination.

The Rock is probably just symbolic rather than a real landing place.

It used to be worth the trip out to Provincetown ... the Pilgrims actually first landed there. But I'm not going to recommend that today because I have not been there in years, and the last time I was there (30 years ago), it was less suitable for a family visit than it had been in prior years. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm out.
upset.gif
Could have left here by 3:00 but I wimped. No excuses.

Ride safe and enjoy tomorrow.

George,
What time is KSU? I looked back in this thread for it, and either I missed it or it wasn't stated.

Current weather guesses for tomorrow AM, here in SNH, are 60% chance of rain, 40 degrees, and not clearing till 2 PM.

Sure wish it had been planned for today. Even up in Vermont, (where we were for Turkey fest) it was beautiful, in the mid 60's and bright sunshine.

I'll likely play it by ear in the AM, but if it's going to be a two hour highway slog in the rain down to Rhode Island, I may have to bail out (again).
KSU is 9am. I just watched the latest forecast and said there was a chance of spotty showers in the morning, sun by early afternoon. I will PM you my phone number if you want to check in the morning.

I was out riding today -mid 60's and windy.

George

I'm out.
upset.gif
Could have left here by 3:00 but I wimped. No excuses.
Ride safe and enjoy tomorrow.

We'll miss you tomorrow...you've been a regular.

I picked up the stomach virus that has gone thru a number of my family this week. At this point (3:35am) I am unable to make the trip. This thing has had a shelf life of 12-18 hours so I will be good to go for Sunday. I have tried to contact all the people that are coming a long distance to change the plans. Sorry folks, can't be helped.

George

Bad luck for you George, but great for anyone considering coming down from the north. This morning it is raining pretty steadily in SNH and Eastern MA. The wet ride down would have probably had me phoning this one in (again). But looking at tomorrow's weather, bright and sunny, high in the 40's with zero percent chance of precip.

I'll check here before leaving tomorrow AM to be sure you're all better and up for the ride.

Got up Sunday morning in plenty of time to get down to Rhode Island for the ride launch. Thermometer said 26 degrees. Looked at the driveway and the rain from Saturday was now in solid form. Might have been dry out on the interstate, but I was not confident I could get the bike out of my neighborhood. I texted with George, and decided that I would leave a bit later, after the sun got the driveways thawed out, and just meet them in Plymouth at "The Rock".

It was still a brisk ride down I-95 and Rte 3 to Plymouth, but when I got there the sun was shining, and temps were rising quickly. Since I'd made good time on the slab, I had a few minutes to wander around the park and take in the sights:

First order of business, checked to make sure the rock was still there...

IMG_0826.jpg

Yep. Still there. But seems to be getting smaller every year.

Here is the superstructure they built over and around The Rock. I guess they wanted to keep the rain off of it?
unsure.png

IMG_0827.jpg

Wandering around the park there are some cool period houses out front

IMG_0828.jpg

...that are situated in such a way that they beg to use them to frame the Mayflower II resting at the pier behind them.

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

(too bad about the power lines being there)

Hard to imagine making an Atlantic ocean crossing on such a small ship.

IMG_0833.jpg

About then the 5 other riders arrived from Rhode Island. They made a quick survey of things that they have seen many times before, and we got the traditional group photo, which I'm sure cota95 will be along with soon.

Then we rode up the hill a few streets to the National Monument to the Forefathers That was my first time seeing that. pretty cool.

IMG_0835.jpg

After an elegant luncheon at the local McDicks, we ambled westward back toward the ride's starting point. When came to the US 44 rotary in Middleboro, I waved goodbye to the gang of five, and peeled off onto I-495 for the slab run back home to Cow Hampshire.

It was a great excuse to get out for a ride, and likely the last my Bass Bote Red Feejer gets out this year. Thanks for setting things up, George, and sticking with the master plan even with your bout with the GI bugs.

* All photos posted were taken with an extremely sensitive and sophisticated photographic device (also known as an iPhone 5S)
laugh.png

Thanks Fred for the background pics. My riding partners were not unhappy that I got the stomach flu
bad.gif
and had to postpone the Saturday ride to Sunday as Sat was a rain/crappy day.
smile.png
Changing the day did stop another 1/2 dozen riders from attending because they said they had better things to do. (no way
no.gif
) KSU was at 9:05 with the temp right around 35.

100_6359_zpshn4hpith.jpg

We had four feejers to start the ride, 05,06,2(13) and a 96 VFR. The pace was brisk because we didn't have to wait for the harley riders to catch up so it was a great ride out to the Rock to meet Fredw. The cool temps seem to be keeping the crowds down .

The Mayflower shot.

100_6360a_zpstw5ttpe6.jpg

This was our first annual visit to the Monument to our ForeFathers, very impressive.

100_6365_zpshg5rnb5k.jpg

100_6364_zpsbypok5d6.jpg

100_6363_zpsybd7lqwq.jpg

As my last official ride of the year up here in New England, thanks to my friends Al and Bill, son Steve, nephew Kyle, and a cameo by the world famous Fredw to make a great ride and day.

George

Was thinking of you guys Sunday morning. Glad the weather gods gave you a much better day and you were able to get out and enjoy. Looks like they gave the ol' Mayflower a fresh coat of paint since last year.

World famous Fred W? George, what world is that of which you speak?

I want to go there and collect my fortune. You know... being world famous and all.

Group shot looks great. Except... what's up with them youngsters? They don't look all that happy!

Maybe they still haven't worked enough long boring days to fully appreciate that a ride day (not working) is a great day!
wink.png

World famous Fred W? George, what world is that of which you speak? I want to go there and collect my fortune. You know... being world famous and all.

Group shot looks great. Except... what's up with them youngsters? They don't look all that happy!

Maybe they still haven't worked enough long boring days to fully appreciate that a ride day (not working) is a great day!
wink.png
They do look serious...probably from being in the presence of greatness.

Was thinking of you guys Sunday morning. Glad the weather gods gave you a much better day and you were able to get out and enjoy. Looks like they gave the ol' Mayflower a fresh coat of paint since last year.
Perfect day Mike, see you next year.

I live the closest to Plymouth and It was just to dam cold for me to come out and play. Kudo's to Fredw for braving the cold. I am sure his heated gear was on High.

Chicken little, I must be getting old,

Dave

I was thinking about this Plymouth trip and how it would be fun to go to Plymouth on a bike. When we celebrated Thanksgiving in Plymouth in 1998, I am pretty sure we ate dinner at Isaac's. I see that it is still there.

Back in the day, the place to eat was Dearn and McGrath's. What a great Fisherman's Platter they had. As good as at Jimmy's (also gone now), or Anthony's Pier IV. I googled to find them, and they're gone ... but you can still get postcards and place mat menus from nostalgia dealers on the internet.

When we were there for Thanksgiving in 1998, our kids were 18 and 20. The Native Americans were holding a protest rally. Very disgruntled bunch. Probably not any happier today.

Meanwhile, if you've now discovered the monument to forefathers, I know you would like to check out the monument out at Provincetown where they first landed.

Plymouth, Mayflower II, Plimouth Plantation, etc. all make for a great touristy experience.... and you may get a dose of useful history to boot. I need to figure out how to make this run someday. But it will probably have to wait for retirement since it's a two hard day ride (unless you're going by IBA standards) just to get there from here, and then there are the unknown "weather cards" that might be played.

I live the closest to Plymouth and It was just to dam cold for me to come out and play. Kudo's to Fredw for braving the cold. I am sure his heated gear was on High.
Chicken little, I must be getting old,

Dave
Think long underwear Dave
rolleyes.gif

I was thinking about this Plymouth trip and how it would be fun to go to Plymouth on a bike. When we celebrated Thanksgiving in Plymouth in 1998, I am pretty sure we ate dinner at Isaac's. I see that it is still there.
I've been to Jimmy's long ago...love the trains on the ceiling.

Let me know when you get the time for the trip.

George