2015 FJR1300A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 98215

Reaction score
Just traded in my 2007 Suzuki Boulevard C90 for this mint 2015 FJR1300A and wow what an upgrade! Already have a Givi top case and some handle bar risers on order. Are there any other must-have accessories you guys would suggest?

Attachments

• PXL_20220729_150725092.jpg
    PXL_20220729_150725092.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20220729_150751228.jpg
    PXL_20220729_150751228.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Nice bike!!! My suggestion is ride a couple thousand miles before changing much of anything.

That C90 and the FJR are so different it will take a few (long) rides to even figure out what doesn't hurt anymore.

Seat is the most popular comfort upgrade. Russell is the gold standard but others too. That said, I have put over 250,000 miles on stock seats on two FJRs.
Windscreens are often upgraded as well. As Roger Doger said, put some miles on it first.

Ride it for a while and get familiar with it. You may just like it as is. If you get the impression, it's top heavy you might want to add crash bars and saddle bag guards.

Nice bike!!! My suggestion is ride a couple thousand miles before changing much of anything.

That C90 and the FJR are so different it will take a few (long) rides to even figure out what doesn't hurt anymore.
I could tell on the showroom floor I would want handle bar risers! The lowering kit is still TBD, having a bit of trouble backing up up hill, my legs are just hair too short!

Seat is the most popular comfort upgrade. Russell is the gold standard but others too. That said, I have put over 250,000 miles on stock seats on two FJRs.
Windscreens are often upgraded as well. As Roger Doger said, put some miles on it first.
Do you have any experience with the Yamaha comfort seat? They are less than half the price of most of the other options.

Was just looking at your pics again. I suppose the deal is already complete but if you can try to get the dealer to get you the Yamaha emblem for that side case. (They all seem to fall off btw.) I think the parts fiche shows the whole silver strip as a replacement which is more $$ but you can get just the emblem for less. Part # 5JW-W9345-00

FWIW, I've always thought changing those silver strips to the black ones from the earlier years would look good on the '15.

Do you have any experience with the Yamaha comfort seat? They are less than half the price of most of the other options.
No experience with Yamaha comfort seat. Russell, Laam, Sargent are popular. Some like Corbin although most find them hard and others have had luck with Seat Concepts DIY "kit".

Just traded in my 2007 Suzuki Boulevard C90 for this mint 2015 FJR1300A and wow what an upgrade! Already have a Givi top case and some handle bar risers on order. Are there any other must-have accessories you guys would suggest?
Congrats on the purchase. Miles of smiles ahead. Some people have experienced damage to the sub frame from running a top case. Many on here suggest the Givi SR357 rack to prevent this. Another good and cheaper alternative is a Garauld stiffy kit. Garauld is a member on here and you can pm him directly but he has recently retired and may not have any of the kits available. I was able to buy a used one several years ago.

I could tell on the showroom floor I would want handle bar risers! The lowering kit is still TBD, having a bit of trouble backing up up hill, my legs are just hair too short!
Derpies,

Until you decide on lowering, and maybe beyond that, you should always park the FJR where you can ride out going forward. Backing up, especially if that is an uphill back-up, is very difficult for most FJR riders. If I must park where there is a downgrade, but with no way forward, I back the FJR down into that spot, using the front brake only. Then I can ride out going forward.

The seat on the FJR has a high and low position. Might want to check that it's in the low position.
As far as the ground being a little low for your legs and especially if you're considering a new seat, a lower seat and / or narrower in front will be better than lowering the scooter. A lower seat won't compromise the handling and ground clearance of the scooter, but it may compromise the seat to peg distance for your knees. If that's a problem, then peg lowering brackets may help, but it's already easy to drag the pegs with stock suspension. A lower seat may also impact the seat to handlebar position.
The handlebars are also adjustable for reach with 3 positions available. Might want to play with that a little before deciding if risers are really needed.

Agree on the ride it for a while before spending big bucks. Everyone here will be happy to help you spend your money!

dan

Congrats on the purchase. Miles of smiles ahead. Some people have experienced damage to the sub frame from running a top case. Many on here suggest the Givi SR357 rack to prevent this. Another good and cheaper alternative is a Garauld stiffy kit. Garauld is a member on here and you can pm him directly but he has recently retired and may not have any of the kits available. I was able to buy a used one several years ago.
I do not plan on hauling much weight in the top case, it is more to add a backrest as well as provide a lock box for our helmets. I know 99% of people are decent but if I come back to my bike and we have $1200 worth of missing gear, it's going to be a bad day

The seat on the FJR has a high and low position. Might want to check that it's in the low position.
As far as the ground being a little low for your legs and especially if you're considering a new seat, a lower seat and / or narrower in front will be better than lowering the scooter. A lower seat won't compromise the handling and ground clearance of the scooter, but it may compromise the seat to peg distance for your knees. If that's a problem, then peg lowering brackets may help, but it's already easy to drag the pegs with stock suspension. A lower seat may also impact the seat to handlebar position.
The handlebars are also adjustable for reach with 3 positions available. Might want to play with that a little before deciding if risers are really needed.

Agree on the ride it for a while before spending big bucks. Everyone here will be happy to help you spend your money!

dan
I wasn't aware the seat was adjustable so thanks for the information. It does look to be in the lower one, but I will have to do some investigating on that. The lowering kits seem to be a common change, but after a few more miles I do not think that I will need one.

Derpies,

Until you decide on lowering, and maybe beyond that, you should always park the FJR where you can ride out going forward. Backing up, especially if that is an uphill back-up, is very difficult for most FJR riders. If I must park where there is a downgrade, but with no way forward, I back the FJR down into that spot, using the front brake only. Then I can ride out going forward.
These are all great tips and situations that I always watch for, but sometimes even a small incline can be a challenge! Instead of spending the money on accessories I should probably spend it at the gym :ROFLMAO:

Good morning. If you come to find out that the stock seat is uncomfortable, in my experience the Yamaha gel comfort seat was not much better.
Good luck with the bike.

Congrats on your new ride.

Was just looking at your pics again. I suppose the deal is already complete but if you can try to get the dealer to get you the Yamaha emblem for that side case. (They all seem to fall off btw.) I think the parts fiche shows the whole silver strip as a replacement which is more $$ but you can get just the emblem for less. Part # 5JW-W9345-00

FWIW, I've always thought changing those silver strips to the black ones from the earlier years would look good on the '15.
I wasn't worried about the sticker, but they did put a new front tire on it for me