2015 front tire prematurely wearing (cupping/scalloping)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crostie

Reaction score
I have owned two FJRs , one 2007 and currently 2015. They both have the same issues of front tires cupping/scalloping. I run them at 42 psi and have found that the cheaper Bridgestone Battallax t21 wear the best. Unfortunately this tire is discontinued. In the past I've used Pilot 4s, hated them (2,000kms)$$$$ out the window. I would like some feed back on which tire best suits this bike. I ride 90% highway at 110kph/70mph in Alberta and British Columbia .

Thanks, Don McCrostie

I use T30, T31 or the good old BT023. Pressure: 29 to 31 39 to 41.

Front tire wear is usually more about

riding technique than it is about tire

choice. 

For example, braking in corners will

often result in the cupping/scalloping

described by the OP. 

Insufficient rebound damping in 

the front forks will exacerbate the

condition. 

I’ve had good luck in significantly reducing the incidence of scalloping by running the front tire at 40 PSI. This is/was true on a R1200RT, FJR, Super Tenere, R1200R, R1200GS and R1200GSA.  

Once it starts on a tire there is no reversing the damage. 

Tire threads are not much loved on the forum...  First of all, have a look at some of the many existing tire threads - search function is pretty good.  Most of these end out the the NEPRT section (Never Ending Pointless Recurring Threads).

The Michelin Pilot Road 4's are expensive but have a pretty good reputation for longevity - surprised that you had issues.  In 400,000+ FJR kilometers ('07 and '11), I have tried most of what is out there, including car tires on the rear - last forever and cheap but after 50,000 km on two different ones I decided they weren't for me.

Currently running Dunlop Roadsmart 3's which are pretty good and fairly inexpensive if you time it with a Dunlop rebate.  I prefer them to the Bridgestone T30's that I was running before.  I ran a few sets of Michelin PR2 but didn't like the way the fronts wore - lasted a long time but were crap after about mid-life.  Tried and hated the Michelin PR3.  Never got around to trying the PR4 and now Michelin is offering a Road 5 - reputed to be decent but not especially long lived.  If they haven't already, they are supposed to be coming out with a Road 5 GT - better for heavier bikes.

In addition to the ones mentioned above, I have run Continental Contimotion (cheap and surprisingly not too awful), Dunlop Roadsmart 2 (awful), Metzeler Roadtec (uninspiring), Pirelli Angel GT (nice initially but I had a problem with front), Bridgestone BT023 (decent but discontinued).  Probably some others I have forgotten about.  I think Pirelli is coming out with a Angel GT2 which might be worth a try.  Never tried the Avons but some people seem to like them - I have heard about some QA/QC issues.  Varying opinions out there on Shinkos as well.

Keep the pressures up (40F, 42R is what I generally use).  The dual compound tires typically last longer than single compound (fronts, in particular).  You pay for the extra life with a trapezoidal wear pattern which can make handling crap well before the tires are worn out.

Good luck with whatever you try next!!

I have Pilot Road 4 GTs on my '07A, (40K miles, not 150K...), and both the front and rear are cupped! Strange... They howl like banshees in corners, but still seem to ride okay.