2016 FJR1300A Check Engine Light On

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check engine light just came on.  Had filled the gas tank a few miles before it came on but the bike seems to be running perfectly.  Nearest dealer is 50 miles away.  Any ideas on how to reset, turn off.  this engine light?

Check engine light just came on.  Had filled the gas tank a few miles before it came on but the bike seems to be running perfectly.  Nearest dealer is 50 miles away.  Any ideas on how to reset, turn off.  this engine light?
Did it come on when you started the bike at the gas stop, or did it actually come on while you were riding down the road? If it could have come on at the gas station it could be because you didn't have the key turned all the way to on. Have you had this bike flashed/updated at the dealer since getting it?

I noticed it when I was riding, not sure when it first came on.  What is flashed/update?  Is there a recall on my 2016???

Yes, earlier 2016's had a programming glitch and Yamaha came up with the firmware update later in the year. This fixed the issue for when the key cycle to run was delayed or incomplete and the cel error would trigger. Your dealer should be able to provide this flash under the recall. I had the cel event happen on mine 4 or 5 times during spring / summer when my bike was new,  this update took care of it.

On a side note, I had a discussion with Ivan about his flash and how this would be effected by Yamaha updates. It sounds like Ivan started out with the code from a stock ECU which does NOT contain this key switch update. If you have Ivan's enhanced flash loaded into your ECU you would NOT want to have Yamaha apply the update. It would essentially replace Ivan's code in its entirety with the stock code + the key update.