2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2016 compared to my 2008 sure is icing on the cake, but go ahead and finger lick the sh*t out of that icing. 'cause I got my cake baked just like I want it, and I'm keeping it .

It's not just about extra shifting. My "other" bike has a 6 speed.More specifically, it has a close-ratio 5 speed with a 6th gear

overdrive. In use, you have 5 closely spaced gears that are

all too low for anything but getting underway and 6th which is

good for anything over about 35 mph. This contrasts sharply

with my Gen II FJR which has a "pick a gear and go" wide-

ratio 4 speed with a 5th gear overdrive.

Here on the east coast I can ride all day on secondary roads

without ever using 5th gear. In fact, with a 190 rear tire,

my bike is struggling to pull 5th below about 55 mph.

Having a six-speed was never on my radar.

Oh, and Tom: you suck at math. Lol
More often than not, I don't even think about 5th gear until 60mph or so. Only caveat is if I'm loafing along on flat ground, then I'll click it up to 5th. No doubt a 6 speed tranny will be an improvement for some but if it's geared like most other bikes you won't be thinking about top gear until well into highway speeds.

--G

The thing iz; right now, the 5 spd iz perfect. Only recommendation I'd give Mamma Yamma iz make 2nd gear a little lower, luze 1st gear 'n make it a 4 speed!
lol.gif

I don't subscribe ta any of them glossy rags, but I bet in say a top gear roll on from 55 to 80 the FJR fairs purdie well compared to a Connie, RT, ST, and whatever the over priced, bloated Triumph is called?.

What Yamaha is not saying is the introduction of this Gen IV bike marks the 20th anniversary for the FJR. Originally introduced in Europe in 2001, and in the U.S. in 2003, this marks 20 years of design excellence and progressive improvement.
Happy Anniversary...Today marks 5 years since I bought my 2005 FJR and brought it back to Sacramento from Reno with only 5874 miles on the clock. I rode it 2200 miles in one month so I could register it in CA in January with the requisite 7500 miles (it was closer to 8000). What a fantastic bike that has been, and it's better today than 5-years ago.

The 2016 looks to be an amazing motorcycle, and has become so refined, and yet all the models back to the beginning, 20 years ago, look, perform and feel like a Thoroughbred; fast off the line and good for the distance. It's a great family no matter which year you own.
Put down the crack pipe Tom! I dun only had ta take off one shoe to count frum 2001 to 2016, so that means it's only 15 years.
bleh.gif

Have any of you noticed the Gens coincide with major plastics changes? By that standard, the 2016 is a GenIII. If we decide to go by engine/performance uogrades, this would be a GenIV. Lol...Really, who cares?

Does it change the size of your weiner? Make you a better lover? Make you more handsome/pretty? Does it increase your income? No? Then don't worry about it.

Have any of you noticed the Gens coincide with major plastics changes? By that standard, the 2016 is a GenIII. If we decide to go by engine/performance uogrades, this would be a GenIV. Lol...Really, who cares?
Does it change the size of your weiner? Make you a better lover? Make you more handsome/pretty? Does it increase your income? No? Then don't worry about it.
For some probably all of the above.
rolleyes.gif

It's the design change that defines the generation.

It wasn't a new generation when they removed the split window from the Stingray, but when the whole body changed, THEN you had the C3.

Over the years, introductions like the V8, then the big block, and air conditioning, even higher number of gear ratios, all happened within generations. The exterior design appearance defined what the generation was.

The 2016 FJR is still a Gen-III.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure! Then the 2004 (2003 in Europe) should have been Gen 2 because they had ABS added, revised forks, brakes, glove compartment, and other detail changes....which makes the Gen 2 actually a 3....3 a 4...and the AE addition should then probably be a Gen 5....so this is now a Gen 6...or VI if you're Roman numeral inclined.
Oh crap, they changed ABS systems in 2008 along with wheels.....shift by another generation...I guess we're on Gen 7 now....damn!

Or maybe the 2016 is a Gen 3.5. Hmmmm.
Oh Iggy, your so full of it.

Information i mean...

It's the design change that defines the generation.
It wan't a new generation when they removed the split window from the Stingray, but when the whole body changed, THEN you had the C3.

Over the years, introductions like the V8, then the big block, and air conditioning, even higher number of gear ratios, all happened within generations. The exterior design appearance defined what the generation was.

The 2016 FJR is still a Gen-III.
I think that if they add a V8, or a split window, or even air conditioning, that for a motorcycle, it would probably be given a new model number, and it would be Gen I again.
sleepysmileyanim.gif

I don't think that this analogy holds up very well.

But I agree with the idea that an official naming of a Generation isn't a big deal. It has no material impact on anything.

We know it's a 2016, and we know it has a lot of changes. Some folks like the changes, some don't. So what else is new?

Gen 6 since it has 6 gears. That settles it. No more discussion please, you will confuse the NOOBS, anger the traditionalists, and frustrate the OCD psychos.

Seriously, though why does everything have to be labeled?? The ones with only 5 speeds are going to have their self esteem damaged. Mass suicide/trade in could occur and I could find a crappy 5 geared (GEN 3) that has been cast to the scrap heap. Wait a second......... On second thought, anything with less than 6 gears is a piece of garbage not worth riding. Especially the red and black ones from the last 2 years. Fire sale those pieces of shit ASAP before they become relics. PM me right away with a bottom line price before the market is flooded and YOU have to pay someone to haul it away!!! I will be waiting!

You are all welcome for this public service announcement!! Glad I could help!!

I'm a huge fan of the 6 speed transmission. In the beginning I would always search for that 6th gear while gobbling up mile after mile on the super-slabs with my 2008. Always felt that traveling @ inter-state speeds should be a more calming experience with that big motor (nothing wrong with getting a few more MPGs either). LED lighting always a plus, never can have too much safety. All the updates make sense to such a near perfect platform. Even after all these years.

That said, all the updates are great. Still not enough for me to give up my '08. Love her madly. Maybe with the savings I'll finally treat the old girl to a set of Ohlins. That would make both of us smile.

I'm a huge fan of the 6 speed transmission. In the beginning I would always search for that 6th gear while gobbling up mile after mile on the super-slabs with my 2008. Always felt that traveling @ inter-state speeds should be a more calming experience with that big motor (nothing wrong with getting a few more MPGs either).

All of the above still remains to be seen. We do not even know how much higher the 6th gear overdrive is as compare to the old 5 speed overdrive. We'll need to wait until the full specs are released.

For some probably definitely all of the above.
rolleyes.gif
In the famous words of our RadioHowie: "Anyone that would ride/own a Gen2 could not have had much of a Mother and they smell funny too!" JSNS, Swear to God!

reputation.jpg

I'm a huge fan of the 6 speed transmission. In the beginning I would always search for that 6th gear while gobbling up mile after mile on the super-slabs with my 2008. Always felt that traveling @ inter-state speeds should be a more calming experience with that big motor (nothing wrong with getting a few more MPGs either).
All of the above still remains to be seen. We do not even know how much higher the 6th gear overdrive is as compare to the old 5 speed overdrive. We'll need to wait until the full specs are released.
+1...my 6 speed Honda/VFR turned higher rpm than my 5 speed FJRs

+1...my 6 speed Honda/VFR turned higher rpm than my 5 speed FJRs
But that doesn't matter...6 gears is better than 5, just like 11 is louder than 10 (Spinal Tap reference). The FJR did not need a 6th gear. It gets 42+ mpg on average and only retired a flick of the wrist to pass quickly on the interstate in top gear. Until a 2016 it's treated, no one knows how the new tranny will feel and perform. It's all just speculation.