2018 FJR - 3 Years in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drduct

Reaction score
3 years and I really enjoy the bike , with the following exceptions .... I find the front end heavy, and lacking stability, coming of a s1000r, when I put the fjr into a corner I do not have the same confidence, when straight up I find the bars wobbly for lack of a better word ....... has anyone else found this ? How have you corrected this ?  I have tried Dunlop roadsmarts, Bridgestone t30, Pirelli angels , not happy with any so far, considering Metzeler next, has anyone used and happy with ? Which model ? ....... look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts ..... thanks in advance

I have been quite happy with Roadsmart 3 for the last several tire sets.  Never loved Michelns (especially the fronts) and had issues with the only set of Pirelli Angels I ever ran.  Have run a bunch of Bridgestones over the years and have a set of the new T32 GT waiting for the current Roadsmarts to wear out.  I have found Bridgestone to be decent value (BT023, T30, T30EVO and T31) but preferred the Roadsmart 3.  Will probably try the Roadsmart 4 the next time.

As far as your concerns with handling, what tire pressures are you running?

Have you checked that the steering head torque is set properly?

Yes, tire pressure is very important on this bike and not what the manual calls for. 42 front and 42 rear works great for me!  I'm currently running a Bridgestone T31 EVO GT on the front and a T32 GT on the back. I have also run Pirelli Angels with the same pressures with good results.

I think it depends on what your are used to, if your bike is in good condition anyway. I always thought my fjr was so easy to steer, turn, handle compared to other bikes mostly cruisers. Then I bought a 2018 zx14 and it turns and handles much better but not the brakes and they are even brembos on the zx.