2018 FJR Details Released

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highly doubt it.... there isnt a blue I didnt like and I am growing to like Matte finishes better than Gloss........ I had resolved myself to the fact that if there still was a matte silver or gloss black 2017 still available I was still going to take the 18 blue.

Mama Yama must really like blue... what is this .... about 5 out of the last 12 years are (boring) blue?
Nothing wrong w/ it, but 2014 RED is really HOT! Maybe they just lost that other half of the color wheel.
Pretty sure it comes from the racing blue and white colour scheme on their factory racers. I like the colour all a matter of individual tastes.

Just checked in with Desert Valley Powersports.... not even a hint of a 2018 ES model yet....
fool.gif

I have a 2018 on order. was told by my dealer that it will land from Japan to Vancouver at the end of November, so I would imagine it will land in the Toronto area mid-December. Yee ha..... just in time to sit in my garage and tease me til spring!

Just checked in with Desert Valley Powersports.... not even a hint of a 2018 ES model yet....
fool.gif
Check with Jerold Hopper at D&H in Cullman, AL. (877) 392-6242. They seem to be pretty high up on the Yamaha distribution chain.

AdamK posted: Check with Jerold Hopper at D&H in Cullman, AL. (877) 392-6242. They seem to be pretty high up on the Yamaha distribution chain.
D&H have been famous on this forum for many years. They sold more FJRs than any other US dealer for several years in a row.

From 2006: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/7282-cullman-al-dh-cycle

From last year, which I thought might become an annual pilgrimage: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/166376-rte-feb-20th-to-d-h-cycles-and-the-all-steak-restaurant-in-cullman-al

Don't think anybody went by there to/from SFO this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2018 on order. was told by my dealer that it will land from Japan to Vancouver at the end of November, so I would imagine it will land in the Toronto area mid-December. Yee ha..... just in time to sit in my garage and tease me til spring!
Is the Canadian 2018 going to be matt blue? I thought Canada usually got a different color.

Is the Canadian 2018 going to be matt blue? I thought Canada usually got a different color.
Same colour........

https://yamaha-motor.ca/products/details-build-price.php?model=5007&group=MC&catId=1

POSSIBLE MOVEMENT!

For better or worse, Desert Valley Powersports is one of 50 Yamaha dealerships that are beta-testing brand new Yamaha Dealership Management software.

While looking at the software last Saturday afternoon with Dan, he noticed that a 2018 FJR1300ES has been inventoried against him, and he has pending floor charges.

In the past, these inventory assignments only happen when the bike is physically inbound.

Dan predicts Tuesday.... as in tomorrow.

Yes. Yes. YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif

I understand some of you may prefer a gloss paint job and that is all good. And I understand some may not dig the 2018 Phantom Blue or perhaps its the fact that its a Matte paint....... and that's cool. But for those that think Matte paint is "harder" to take care of..... here is a good read:

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/05/05/matte-paint-finish-myths/

That was quite the informative read, thank you for posting that.

Historically, I have not applied many calories toward keeping my FJRs all cleaned/polished, for 2 basic reasons:

1. I tend to operate in "LD Rider" mode even when not rallying. LD Rider bikes always have some amount road sploogage,
  2. Washing/polishing takes away valuable riding time.
But for this upcoming bike, I may change my tune, and actually take some pains to take care of this matte paint over the long haul.

So that Dr Beasley article was very insightful, thanks again!
punk.gif

I have no first hand experiences with matte finishes, but one should be aware of the source of that "article". Dr Beasley is a company that makes a sealer product that is compatible with matte finishes, so there may be a small conflict of interests.

Considering that a 2 oz bottle of the stuff costs $50, (or save and buy 12 oz bottle for $170
uhoh.gif
)that causes my snake oil sales sensors to go up. If that stuff is what it takes to maintain a matte finish then their "myth" that matte finishes are harder to take care of would seem to not be so debunked, but rather "plausible".

I have no first hand experiences with matte finishes, but one should be aware of the source of that "article". Dr Beasley is a company that makes a sealer product that is compatible with matte finishes, so there may be a small conflict of interests.
Considering that a 2 oz bottle of the stuff costs $50, (or save and buy 12 oz bottle for $170
uhoh.gif
)that causes my snake oil sales sensors to go up. If that stuff is what it takes to maintain a matte finish then their "myth" that matte finishes are harder to take care of would seem to not be so debunked, but rather "plausible".
Not harder, Fred...just most costly
weirdsmiley.gif