2018 FJR key blank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorSSJ

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what brand and model key blank will work on a 2018 FJR?  I'd like to make one for a spare, and one for my topcase.

Thanks

Discussed so many times.  Go to a locksmith.  They have blanks and can make a fistful of duplicates for what a dealer would charge you for one.\

(Obvious addendum: ride the bike to the locksmith.  Take the new key outside and make sure it works FIRST.)

In 225,000 FJR miles, I have never had to replace a key.  195,000 on a USA bike and 30,000 or so on the current (Canadian) version.

I hope the record continues with the newer bike - chipped key for the Canadian version and is a lot more expensive to replace.

As it has been mentioned, there are some low cost blanks available.  I wouldn't skimp on quality, if you have any choice.  The ignition key, in particular, can take a beating.

I've never replaced a factory key because one of the first things I do is get copies made.  I still have one key that has never been used for anything, ever.  Chipped keys are another matter altogether.

The bike should come with two black keys and one red one. How many keys do you need.
US bikes come with two non-chipped keys and no red one.  Traditionally, the keys have been pretty soft and bend/wear, especially if locks are not kept clean and properly lubed.

As I mentioned, I never had to replace a key in 195,000 miles on my 2007 US bike but the one I used the most was straightened a few time and was pretty worn.  The chipped key that came with my Canadian 2011 FJR seems to be made from sturdier stuff.

I wonder why it's different between the UK and USA.
No immobilizer in the USA.  No need for chipped keys.

The other advantage of using copies is Helmet Guardian helmet locks.  I have 2, 1 on each side.  I reworked the tumblers so my OE key would work but have to use a copy.  The copy is slightly thinner and fits in the lock, the OE key will not.

I've used: https://keys4urride.com/

If you know your 5 digit key code, they can cut the key and it is like getting it from the factory. Also, the key blanks they

use are more stout than the Yamaha OEM keys, and are less likely to bend.

YMMV
How or where would one find/acquire their 5 digit key code? I discovered any GM dealership can provide me with a key to my 96 Silverado if I go in person with picture ID and the title in the same name.

How or where would one find/acquire their 5 digit key code?
Originally the bike's keys came with a little metal tag with the key number on it. If you don't have that, the next place to look is in the owner's manual. Lots of people write it down in there.

Failing that, you can try the dealer, (bring your title), or call Yamaha Customer Service and have your VIN handy. 800-962-7926

In the bad old days the key number was stamped on the ignition key switch. I pulled a few ignitions to take to the dealer for keys back in the '80's. Parts guy would just glare at me and demand "Three Dollars!", then go to the back and punch one out. I think he got tired of me bringing old bikes back to life.

“Lucky me”, I bought my ‘06 with a replaced ignition switch, so now I have two keys for the bike. One for the ignition, and one for everything else. This allows me to ride away with an unlocked passenger seat, side case, or gas cap. 😀 Fortunately non of that happened - yet.