2018 Matte

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBear06

Reaction score
Here is Matte, my 2018, currently with 52,626 or thereabouts...
20181020_113534.jpg

Ignore the shiny one in the background, that is my husband's.
This was taken in 2018 when Matte came home. My 2006 )George) had been sold to another with 170,000 miles with the new stock seat from this '18. The seat in the picture is from Seth Laam.
Other farkles added since include V-Strom handguards, a Garmin GPS, RAM X-Grip with a power puck and a switch for power, FZ1 mirrors and the upgraded rack for the giant stock pizza box to fit on the back.
Hoping to add electrics for some heated gear to extend the season a bit and engine/bag guards.

I am considering purchase of 2018 Canadian model, present owner tells me the surface was covered with Scotch ceramic coat. at purchase. I have yet to see the cycle as it is 500 miles away and presently Canadian winter like conditions. The owner stores his FJR outdoors in the winter, telling me that it is well covered for the winter conditions (annual snowfall amount of 48cm/18 inch). Summer storage is covered garage, out of sun. My question is regarding the matte Phantom blue paint - durability, surface care, effect of insect impact/splatter on the paint.
Gerald B

I am considering purchase of 2018 Canadian model, present owner tells me the surface was covered with Scotch ceramic coat. at purchase. I have yet to see the cycle as it is 500 miles away and presently Canadian winter like conditions. The owner stores his FJR outdoors in the winter, telling me that it is well covered for the winter conditions (annual snowfall amount of 48cm/18 inch). Summer storage is covered garage, out of sun. My question is regarding the matte Phantom blue paint - durability, surface care, effect of insect impact/splatter on the paint.
Gerald B
Since you asked... This is my opinion and experience.
I own an '18 matte phantom blue. While it looks great when it all detailed up, the matte paint is not something I will do (ever) gain, on anything.
It's all about how you like to keep your bike. Some owners don't care about how the bike looks, and some don't even ever clean the bikes, so in that case it's not a problem. If you like to keep your bike clean and detailed, read on...
The thing about the matte paint is that unlike a clear coated color, when any little thing happens to that paint, there's simply nothing you can do about it. If there's ever any little scratch, rock nicks (lots of those on the f on of the fairing showing white under them), scuffs, road debris or bird shit that gets on the paint and leaves a stain, yes it absorbs stuff, there's absolutely nothing you can do you to that paint except just keep the bike clean. There's no touching up of buffing things off. Even rain leaves stains - I have experienced all of that and have found no solutions even with numerous 'matte paint' marketed cleaners, simply clean it as best you can, and move on - that's what I've done and I simply just do the best I can regarding detailing.
One other thing that I have noticed as well is that the areas on the two sides of the tank that knees are close to when riding are now getting a sheen from the friction. Had I known to expect this I would have purchased some tank pads for the sides.
About the ceramic coating that this fella put on the bike, it would be interesting to see how it protects that paint.
I've been curious about that ceramic coating protection, but I have not received any concrete feedback as to how it works on matte paint, of whether now it would be too late. At one point early on and owning it when I started to realize what was going to happen with this paint, I thought it might not be a bad idea to put a clear coat on it. That's definitely too late now.
If none of that is an issue for you, it's a beautiful color otherwise, and the FJR is a great bike.
It's just that paint...don't let that deter you from owning a great bike 😁.

I have a Phantom Blue Matte 2019 which was (matte) ceramic coated when new. The ceramic coating works very well in keeping the paint looking excellent and minimising water spots as water sheets off. It also makes the paint more resistant to scratches (it's not a panacea though)

As sunnyorlando says, stone chips will mark the paint, as will zips etc. These cannot be hidden without painting the whole panel. Touch up paint leaves a visible (but not as visible as the original) mark.

I love the colour and would buy another matte painted vehicle BUT, if used, only after very close inspection of the paintwork and it must have been ceramic coated. New - I will immediately coat it.

I have a Phantom Blue Matte 2019 which was (matte) ceramic coated when new. The ceramic coating works very well in keeping the paint looking excellent and minimising water spots as water sheets off. It also makes the paint more resistant to scratches (it's not a panacea though)

As sunnyorlando says, stone chips will mark the paint, as will zips etc. These cannot be hidden without painting the whole panel. Touch up paint leaves a visible (but not as visible as the original) mark.

I love the colour and would buy another matte painted vehicle BUT, if used, only after very close inspection of the paintwork and it must have been ceramic coated. New - I will immediately coat it.
I wish I had known better when it was new... I would have tried the ceramic coating.

Thank you all for your responses. Up to this time I have always owned Honda cycles with clear coat finish and understand the forgiving nature of the surface with appropriate attention as I am quite particular in the washing, drying and buffing of the finish. I began to wonder about the matte paint as I had a bug splatter on a matte gray helmet while on a multiday ride and never could get the residual color of the insect splatter off the surface. The cycle I am interested in was ceramic coated at purchase 4 years ago, but I do not believe any recoating has been done. Low mileage 5700km/3600 miles on the odometer so it has not seen a lot of road riding.

If the coating was done 4 years ago and she was kept inside or under cover then, with only 5700 km, she probably won't need doing for about 10,000 km or so. Mine was coated 3½ years ago and has done about 20,000 km and is still OK (she's kept garaged) but will probably need doing before next summer.

If the coating was done 4 years ago and she was kept inside or under cover then, with only 5700 km, she probably won't need doing for about 10,000 km or so. Mine was coated 3½ years ago and has done about 20,000 km and is still OK (she's kept garaged) but will probably need doing before next summer.
I meant to ask earlier, does the ceramic coating add a gloss or sheen to the matte paint?

I meant to ask earlier, does the ceramic coating add a gloss or sheen to the matte paint?
Using a Matte Ceramic Coating doesn't add a gloss or a sheene to the paint. It makes the colour slightly richer. It actually bonds to the matte clear coat and makes it more durable.

Difficult to describe and most people wouldn't notice any difference but the Blue is very slightly more blue. I think this is due to light refraction through the coating. In my opinion I think it makes the colour nicer.

Remember, it won't stop stone chips and other marks. It does slow down, but doesn't stop, the wear marks on the tank. So apply to the tank more regularly like every 6 months, or fit a tank guard (which, being lazy, is what I did).

Everyone comments on how nice the bike looks.

I'll try and get photos of the marks on mine