2018 seat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Toro

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
My dealer called me after lunch to let me know that the 2018 had been assembled and is out on the floor.

So I drove over there to check it out.

All of my FJRs have been Gen 2. I was impressed by what I perceived as greater cleverness in packaging for the 2018 compared to Gen 2. And, of course, it has many features that are clearly upgrades.

One thing I dont recall anyone commenting on is the seat and knee/hip geometry.

My first impression is that the seat seems firmer and the hip angle less acute compared to the Gen 2. Both good things for someone like me.

Im assuming that the 2018 has the same seat as other Gen 4 bikes. Has anyone who went from a Gen 2 to a late model FJR and kept the stock seat noticed a comfort difference as part of the change?

Im assuming that the 2018 has the same seat as other Gen 4 bikes. Has anyone who went from a Gen 2 to a late model FJR and kept the stock seat noticed a comfort difference as part of the change?
2006 to 2018 are the same seat form factor. I doubt there's a difference in design. But since you are one of the early ones to get a 2018...you tell us if there's an actual and/or significant difference between your 2009 and 2018 seats and not just wear and tear of a 9 year old seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seat in high position? That would be about the only thing that could affect your knee geometry. Seat is the same, possibly just a little stiffer because it's new.

Both seats in high position.

My first thought was that the difference was due to the aging of the foam in the Gen 2s. The seat looked suspiciously familiar.

I like it when a manufacturer sticks with a seat because then its possible to move a custom seat from one bike to the next.

And to clarify, no I am not the proud owner of a 2018.

I was given visiting privileges this afternoon, and am tempted. But I have not sprung for one .... yet.

Well, now that you've seen the Phantom Blue Matte in person.... comments?
smile.png

I like it quite well.

My F6B Deluxe is matte pearl white. I think the matte finish is easy to clean, and like matte or semigloss trim paint, it hides smudges and modest levels of grunge.

I hope they do a blacked out matte black in a future year. It would be very hard for me to resist.

The matte blue 2018 is a beautiful bike. Youre lucky to already have one. đź‘Ť

The matte blue 2018 is a beautiful bike. Youre lucky to already have one.
Dan Denchel at Desert Valley Powersports asked if many folks on the forum have a 2018 yet, and I replied that while I am sure someone (else) on the forum has one, there's little chatter/pics of any except mine - that I am aware of. I'm sure that'll change shortly.
weirdsmiley.gif

Yes there are differences in the padding and material for the 2013+ Gen III seats. Same pan, but I couldn't stand it for more than an hour without pain. I never had a problem on my GenII (both bought new).

Gen 4 seat photos posted. Pans the same between stock and optional Comfort. Comfort is wider plus gel and nylon mesh is evident through the bottom breather holes.