2019 Covered Bridges of New Hampshire Tour - Oct 5th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn it Fred!  Just because you bailed on the ride I am too. JSNS!

Best to you bud, heal up, ride again.

Just a little bump in the road. A couple of days in the hospital is all.   I’ll be back riding before you know it.  

Apparently it had already ruptured sometime last night, which is why I felt much better today.  It was a good thing that I got in when I did or it could have got ugly.

But it never really was all that painful.  Weird.

We will be targeting a 9:00 ETA.  Plenty of time for Messy Eggs, chattering (pun intended), gear up and go. 

Traditionally we leave Fiddleheads and go ~ 8 miles for a gas fill-up then begin the ride.  It's around 60 miles from our hovel to breakfast so the top up will get us through the day and home again.

home at5:15 with a cranky Jane on the back. We did 3hours without her getting off and that does not agree with her long legs, she could barely get off the bike when we to home.

Thanks to Fred W for the hard work to scout out and map the '19 Bridges ride.  Too bad he was unable to make his own ride, just because he has a good excuse doesn't mean that we will let him have a pass on this ;)

After a very cold start it turned out to be a fine sunny day and a nice ride.  We were about a week or two ahead of best foliage color, but we were traffic free because of it.  I have ~250 pictures to sort through.

The frosties that could make the ride this year:

IMG_3747-XL.jpg

L to R:  Big Gore, Mr.& Mrs. bbdig, Boston, Mr. and Mrs. 08FJR4ME, Mr. & Mrs. ionbeam.  Set the camera on the ground, set the timer, RUN to pose.  Just as the picture is being snapped observe a big PU about to run over the camera.  As you can see, the camera did have a happy outcome.

Ouch!  Jack you really know how to hurt a guy when he is down. That Kentucky bourbon probably eased some of the pain Fred. Alan did a great job leading us misfits. We had to cut out after a late lunch due to a dinner engagement to get back home in time. We followed Mike for a short while heading south. 

It was nice seeing everyone again and meeting new peeps. Life is getting short and we should plan more rides together. Not only that it forces me to do some maintenance on the bike. We will make sure Jane gets a break on the next ride.  Maybe one of those K1600's will fit her better Jack.

Just sayin, 😃

Good night all, Dave & Ann

VERY glad I was able to make part of this today.  Weather was perfect but even better was getting to see folks that's been way too long in seeing along with meeting a new NERD.  A gracious thank you to Alan for stepping up.  And as for Fred, well rumor has it he finally twisted the arm of the floor nurse and now there's bourbon or something flowing through his IV.

Not many pics from me, only when we stopped, but maybe, hopefully, someone who was riding on the back of say a lead bike might share a link to where we might find them??  (Puh-leez?)

20191005-101149.jpg

Waited here, just down the road from Fiddlehead's in Hancock for the gang to come riding by:

20191005-103920.jpg

A little before Helen's road shot:

20191005-120812.jpg

20191005-121849.jpg

20191005-121758.jpg

20191005-121803.jpg

The group passed this going north and then I back-tracked heading home.  Just about every little town you come across in southern NH has a white church dominating the landscape from a hill.  It never fails to impress me.

20191005-143726.jpg

20191005-143843.jpg

Pulled into my garage a little after 8:00 pm.  Figured this was an appropriate way to call it a night.  Thanks again everyone.  Hope to see you all again soon somehow.

20191005-205431.jpg

I made it home by 18:30. Long day 12 hours on the trip.

Met some good people and chased them around New Hampshire. Looking forward to the "Ride to the ROCK"  I have to look that one up.

We had a nice day. Once the temperature got out of the 40s. burrrr.

I made it home by 18:30. Long day 12 hours on the trip.

Met some good people and chased them around New Hampshire. Looking forward to the "Ride to the ROCK"  I have to look that one up.

We had a nice day. Once the temperature got out of the 40s. burrrr.

could the Admin remove the pics on my last post please.

Learning curve for posting with a new hosting site is a pita.

John

Well alrighty then, Covered Bridges ride picture dump.

The timing of this ride is a balance between not quite peak color and avoiding heavy peak color traffic.

aIMG_3619-XL.jpg

aIMG_3623-XL.jpg

In the picture below, behind the church you can see the stalls for horses and wagons where the church goers could 'park'.  The stalls extend all the way along the back of the church.  Often the stalls are arranged in a semicircle around the church to shorten the walk.

aIMG_3628-XL.jpg

aIMG_3635-XL.jpg

aIMG_3645-XL.jpg

aIMG_3654-XL.jpg

aIMG_3659-XL.jpg

bIMG_3659-X2.jpg

aIMG_3663-XL.jpg

aIMG_3666-XL.jpg

bIMG_3666-X2.jpg

aIMG_3689-XL.jpg

bIMG_3689-L.jpg

aIMG_3697-XL.jpg

aIMG_3698-XL.jpg

aIMG_3711-XL.jpg

bIMG_3711-XL.jpg

aIMG_3719-XL.jpg

bIMG_3720-XL.jpg

aIMG_3734-XL.jpg

aIMG_3737-XL.jpg

In the picture below you can see the large central chimney and the front door centered in the house, these are both indicators of very old houses.  The chimney will have openings in every room in the house for heating and a large opening to the kitchen for cooking.

aIMG_3738-XL.jpg

aIMG_3742-XL.jpg

aIMG_7809-XL.jpg

aIMG_3747-XL.jpg

L to R:  Big Ogre, Mr.& Mrs. bbdig, Boston, Mr. and Mrs. 08FJR4ME, Mr. & Mrs. ionbeam.  Set the camera on the ground, set the timer, RUN to pose.  Just as the picture is being snapped observe a big PU about to run over the camera.  As you can see, the camera did have a happy outcome

aIMG_3765-XL.jpg

aIMG_3770-XL.jpg

The picture below is the NERDS infamous Burdick's restaurant.  A few years ago a large group of NERDS left early morning with the temperature in the mid 20s and ice in many places on the roads then rode ~90 miles to Burdick's for breakfast.  We arrived and told the hostess we had reservations.  She looked at us in our gear and told us they have no tables open.  We could see 50% or more of the tables in back were open.  The hostess told us they were all reserved and there was no room for us.  Eventually we gave up and left without getting seated.

aIMG_3815-XL.jpg

aIMG_3846-XL.jpg

aIMG_3871-XL.jpg

aIMG_3873-XL.jpg

aIMG_3874-XL.jpg

aIMG_3881-XL.jpg

bIMG_3881-XL.jpg

Very glad to hear and see that you NERDS were able to pull this off without me.  Sad I couldn’t be there but happy that the planning was not for naught.  From Helen’s excellent as usual pillion photos it does seem it was a week or two early but next weekend will be busy being the holiday, and the later you go the colder things get.  Looks like some of the best weather possible for you all.  Bright sun, cool and crisp.  Perfect New England riding!  Great job!

Maybe I’ll get to ride it in a couple of weeks to see how it is then.  I’ll be a few  ounces lighter now that they removed my ruptured appendix.  Got it out and back home in time for the Pats game, yo!