2020 FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at EICMA last Friday, but did not manage to speak with anyone who was clear in answer for FJR future from Yamaha staff there.

There are few web sides referring to 2020 as last model for Europe because of emissions regulations, but there are a few others stated, that MY 2020 are already Euro 5 compliance:
https://www.morebikes.co.uk/63669/new-bikes-yamahas-fjr1300-as-and-fjr1300-ae-ultimate-editions-and-theres-a-new-tracer-700-too/ 

https://www.webbikeworld.com/yamaha-reveals-its-lineup-for-2020/

https://www.5-ways.co.uk/pages/news/news-and-events/2020-yamaha-fjr1300as-ultimate-edition--fjr1300ae-ultimate-edition.htm

What is the true than???

What is the true than???
From my understanding (Take that with a grain of salt), if the model is available for purchase before the the end of 2019, than it does not have to meet Euro 5 standards. If the model doesn't release for purchase until 2020 than it needs to be Euro 5 compliant. At the moment seems like manufacturer's are not openly advertising Euro 5 compliant/non-compliant. If you can hunt down the actual release date it should give you somewhat of an idea, but certainly not definite answer. 

I know the 2020 Yamaha R1/R1M is Euro 5 compliant. They stuffed 4 separate Cat/Conv. in the exhaust system, changed flow of the air box and some other tweaks to valve train. Probably some ECU tweaks etc. I was unable to find anything indicating the FJR as E5 compliant. But if they can get the R1 to comply (Basically a Race Motor in a street bike) the FJR should be a cinch. I don't think there is anything official saying 2020 FJR is the last year. I think it's all speculation at this point.

Worry Less-Ride, Farkle, Service More.😎

From my understanding (Take that with a grain of salt), if the model is available for purchase before the the end of 2019, than it does not have to meet Euro 5 standards. If the model doesn't release for purchase until 2020 than it needs to be Euro 5 compliant. At the moment seems like manufacturer's are not openly advertising Euro 5 compliant/non-compliant. If you can hunt down the actual release date it should give you somewhat of an idea, but certainly not definite answer. 

I know the 2020 Yamaha R1/R1M is Euro 5 compliant. They stuffed 4 separate Cat/Conv. in the exhaust system, changed flow of the air box and some other tweaks to valve train. Probably some ECU tweaks etc. I was unable to find anything indicating the FJR as E5 compliant. But if they can get the R1 to comply (Basically a Race Motor in a street bike) the FJR should be a cinch. I don't think there is anything official saying 2020 FJR is the last year. I think it's all speculation at this point.

Worry Less-Ride, Farkle, Service More.😎
👍

In Europe the FJR will be on sale for one more year. It isn't going to be made Euro 5 compliant. Euro 5 comes in 2020 but they normally allow at least one year of derogation to allow existing bikes to be sold. I also heard Yamaha will make one last large production run of the bikes for emergency services (how large is large is anyone's guess).

I remember it being revealed in 2001 in the UK, and I have owned one since 2004. Rather sad but nothing stays the same forever. It has had a good run.

The black/gold is similar to the 1989 FJ-1200

Canadian FJR
Had an early Thanksgiving dinner /w the fam, and was remincing about the time I took my little nephew for a ride on mah '89 FJ, then later it dawned on me; (Think'in 'bout this thread.) they weren't black 'n gold, butt actually a deep, deep, dark, metallic blue that was stunning when clean in the sunlight. (Too bad my bike wuz seldom clean) Dun put 100,000 on that gem.

Rather sad but nothing stays the same forever.
One word: Concours

At least the FJR stayed more up to date than the Kawi. Too bad Yamaha didn't offer a few more "Special Editions" along the way to drum up interest. Adventure and lighter, less capable Sport Touring bikes are taking too much of a chunk out of FJR sales. Sad indeed. 

Yamaha (to their credit) does like to roll the dice and come up with some innovative ideas and concepts. GTS 1000 ABS comes to mind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_GTS1000 The fork-less front suspension was not well received but now a version of it is used by BMW and the Goldwing. The TDM 850 looks like a KTM SD protoype. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TDM850 The Niken is not setting the world on fire, but maybe down the road an improved version will.

Maybe the perfect motorcycle is in the works.✍️🤞 HaHa! 🙃

In Europe, the Niken is a HUGE success.  Seen them all over France earlier this year.

Anybody know if the current Connie is Euro 5 compliant?

I emailed (and subsequently re-emailed) Yamaha regarding Euro 5 compliance with the 2020 FJR.  Crickets.  Absolute crickets.

If to be USA only, does anyone have an inside source saying how many were produced for USA in 2019, or even 2018?  My gut says not enough to keep a model going strong in the future.  But then again, sales for other continents haven't been discussed, which would keep the numbers up to keep Yamaha happy.

As someone that always tries to see the upside to everything, Yamaha just saved me a lot of future money if this is the end of the road and I can't say I'm completely surprised (for several reasons) if it is. The FJR is for me, everything I want a motorcycle to do. I am now on my 5th one I have not been one bit excited by any of the alternatives offered. Between the fact that they are virtually indestructible and there will likely be "garage queens" around for far into the future, I am probably good for life now that I have entered geezerhood. 

In my opinion, we should care because if it doesn't, the FJR as we know it will end worldwide.

It took me almost 2 weeks to determine precisely who to email, but I have since sent three (3) separate emails to Yamaha requesting whether the 2019 FJR (Europe version) is Euro 5 compliant. I have gotten no reply.  In this case, I believe no news is bad news.

What would help would be to know if the 2019 bike is not compliant (and I don't think it is), how close to compliant for the various exhaust constituents is it?  I've ready a bit on what manufacturers are doing to make bikes Euro5 compliant, and it is not very simple.  If the current FJR is VERY close to compliant, then perhaps a more efficient cat converter or some ECU changes would do it.  But if it is more than that, then significant (major) changes would be needed.  Cost prohibitive changes, I fear.

I suppose Yamaha could continue to sell the FJR in North America only.

The 3-cylinder 900 cc motor in the FZ, FJ, and Nikken is Euro 5 compliant, I believe.  I've read that from multiple sources, although I find it no where from Yamaha itself.  Regardless, Yamaha has chosen to use that motor in multiple chassis configurations, presumably for manufacturing cost savings, among other things.

All conjecture, I freely admit.

The FJR was mapped so wonkily to get into the US that a lot of people had to do things (once bought) to improve ride-ability and stop low-speed, steady-throttle surging. TOO LEAN already.

The tracer is not a shaft drive bike. Not for me.

I am out and will keep the 2015 FJR going as long as I can.

Dave

The FJR was mapped so wonkily to get into the US that a lot of people had to do things (once bought) to improve ride-ability and stop low-speed, steady-throttle surging. TOO LEAN already.
That was just on the early ones.  Third time around (3rd Gen+) was the charm with no need for fuel mapping. 

Even if they never sell another new FJR there will be nearly new ones available for a very long time.  Likely longer than I will be.

Along with the gold stripe.  Sorta reminds me of what Ducati did with their FE versions. 

There also seems to be an additional body panel covering the engine.

Does anyone know how and where to get one of these ULTIMATE version bikes? Aside of the fact that it is gorgeous , If this is the last version I'm putting in my order right now, if I knew where. There is no mention of this bike on the official Yamaha website or anywhere else...it will probably cost a few grand extra, but should be a collectors item pretty quick..IMHO this is the Best Bike Yamaha has ever made. From  Venture to Nikken to all those silly triples....