2021-06-06 Engine Light continuously on Error code 42 ​​​​​​​(KrZy8)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score

Need ideas guys! Any suggestions greatly appreciated..

2021-06-06 Error Code 42​

Last Sat KrZy8 lost all charging, discharged battery to stranded on hiway 1, above Ragged Point,  below Gorda. ​

When FJR battery voltage decreases to about 11.2 vdc, the ABS light will come on.
On this ride the ABS light came on, the engine became 'stuttery' at steady throttle. 
Shortly thereafter, it quit running and the Engine Light came on.

Error Code 42 shows at key on.

Manual says.. Check 07 and 21 acutations. 

07 is 'Vehicle Speed Pulse'.

21 is Gear Position Switch.

Real wheel pulse intitial read 0. Rotated rear wheel by hand and it started to count up
proving rear wheel brake pulse functionality to ECU.

Neutral = 'On'.

In gear = 'Off'.

Per FSM.

Tried to clear error code via #62, no luck.

D60 shows 0.

D61 shows 0 too.

D62 shows the 1 error, the one that won't clear, code 42.

Next Steps

1. Take off lift, ride it a bit, see if, for some strange reason, it clears
  2. Check ABS fuse
  3. Determ battery, unplug main ECU, replug, connect battery, check
  4. Find ABS ECU connector. I imagine it's deep under the airbox or seat area, disconnect, clean, check
  5. Follow any leads from ForumGurus
  6. Call Ivan's Performance and ask any possibility reflash caused it?
  7. Source used ABS ECU?

Perhaps the brain trust is just baffled?  I got nothing for you other than hope that you get it figured out Don.

Brian the biknflyfisher 

You stated that it lost all charging. Died due to lack of battery power. You haven't said either way so I have to ask. Have you taken care of the charging issue? And have a fully charged battery? Your sensors and switches appear to be working, but you know for sure you had another issue. Related? Maybe, maybe not.

I would for sure check battery cable and ground connections. You probably have, just didn't mention it.

If you have the specs for the air gap on the speed sensor, I would check that. Sensor air gaps can be critical. (Affects the pulse width of the signal.) May be getting enough signal to work, just not the signal the ECM expects. Debris of some sort in there?

Electronics can be finicky. While I don't work on motorcycles,  construction equipment has its issues with electronics. I get quite a few every week.

You stated that it lost all charging. Died due to lack of battery power. You haven't said either way so I have to ask. Have you taken care of the charging issue? And have a fully charged battery? Your sensors and switches appear to be working, but you know for sure you had another issue. Related? Maybe, maybe not.

I would for sure check battery cable and ground connections. You probably have, just didn't mention it.

If you have the specs for the air gap on the speed sensor, I would check that. Sensor air gaps can be critical. (Affects the pulse width of the signal.) May be getting enough signal to work, just not the signal the ECM expects. Debris of some sort in there?

Electronics can be finicky. While I don't work on motorcycles,  construction equipment has its issues with electronics. I get quite a few every week.
Yes, charging is now good. 14.2 at idle with headlights and ClearWater Krista's on. Battery is healthy too. More info next post,Thank You for replying :)

1. On lift and center stand, in gear, speedo is working, flashing red ABS light until return to neutral, ABS light extinguishes
  2. On wheels, ABS kicks in, is working, front and rear
  3. Still can't clear error code.. perhaps an oversight on Ivan's ECU reflash? I mean, how many peeps have run battery low enough to turn on ABS light then engine quits running.
  4. So the real issue is, I can't clear the error code. FSM says get to Diagnostic code number 62, then toggle engine stop switch. I have done so many times, it doesn't clear the code.
PofA

1. Unplug main EPU, replug, check results
  2. Install OEM ECU, check results
https://player.vimeo.com/video/561412870?app_id=122963

Mystery solved. Installed OEM ECU, no engine light. Reconnect flashed ECU, engine light. Preparing to call Ivan.

EDIT

Not Ivan's issue, all on me. Doctor Ionbeam from other sandbox noted to clear static memory, the ECU must take action. The reset action, per FSM, is to run rear wheel between ~13 - 19 mph. Did so on center stand and voila, no more engine light! And, the error code from dial code 62 was able to be cleared. Yahoo!

Glad to hear it. And sorry you had the aggravation of it all. Some of our equipment requires a second program to completely erase some codes.

Anyway, go ride with a smile after you talk to IVAN. 

Mystery solved. Installed OEM ECU, no engine light. Reconnect flashed ECU, engine light. Preparing to call Ivan.

EDIT

Not Ivan's issue, all on me. Doctor Ionbeam from other sandbox noted to clear static memory, the ECU must take action. The reset action, per FSM, is to run rear wheel between ~13 - 19 mph. Did so on center stand and voila, no more engine light! And, the error code from dial code 62 was able to be cleared. Yahoo!
Had a similar issue today, engine warning light came on while burping the cooling system. As you highlighted, I put the gear in gear while the bike is on center stand, the light went off but ABS light came on and flashing. I put the gear in 2 and run it up to 20km p/h and the ABS light went off too. Thank you