2021 Ninja 1000 - Anyone Ride or Own One?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwollenRaccoon

Reaction score
   Let me start by saying that I love my FJR, and have no near-term plans of getting rid of it myself.  But I am reaching the point of facing the depressing fact that as I get older, it will be getting tougher to deal with the mass of the FJR.  It's a big, heavy bike, which isn't a big deal most of the time. But Father Time catches up to everyone.

I have watched and read reviews of the latest Ninja 1000SX, the 2021 with hard bags.  (I will be the first to point out;  those have to be the ugliest saddlebags to ever "grace" the ass-end of a bike, but I digress).  The latest updates revised some suspension geometry for better handling, reduced vibration, and it has a quick-shifter, slipper clutch, and electronic cruise control, along with the latest electronics, i.e. ride modes and traction control, etc.  The price seems really reasonable, given the features and performance, plus it weighs about 130 pounds less than the FJR.  Approximately 120 rear wheel horsepower, which probably makes it a tiny bit better than the FJR, power/weight speaking.  I know the comfort won't be quite as good, and the weather protection is less.  I am used to sportbikes, so clean air around my helmet is welcome.

I appreciate any feedback from anybody whom has owned one or ridden one.  Thanks, mates!

not sure about the 21 but my son has a 15 or 16 and loves it. Strong motor no handling complaints and pretty good ergo's. He lowered the peg a little and put adjustable bar risers on it. He is looking at seat options but that is typical of any of them.

I had an '11 N1K and loved it. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. When I sold it to buy the FJR, I had a tear in my eye. 

But like you, I too am now at the stage where my FJR is about to go up f/s and I've been shopping for a lighter weight ST. The only two that fit my wants/needs/desires are the 2020+ N1K and the '18-20 Tracer 900 GT. All of the niggles of the N1K have been fixed w/the current gen but, having just recently test-sat both bikes, I can tell you that the N1K offers a significantly sportier riding position. In exchange, you get a bike w/a better/stronger engine (25+ HP), as well as superior, handling, braking, suspension and overall performance... and it's a far better looking bike than the T900GT. 

In the Tracer's favor is the open, upright riding position, far greater comfort and stock panniers, which are smaller than the N1K's; the N1K's panniers cost an additional $900 tho. I'm looking at the T900GT as the FJR's little brother. As for carrying passengers, the T900GT is also a roomier place if that matters. 

I haven't made my final decision yet but am leaning towards the T900GT as my FJR's replacement. That's saying something as I'm a longtime Kawi guy who loved his N1K.