2022 Break-in oil change/filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just hit 600 miles on the new bike. I was reading all the posts here about oil changes and filters, and trying to figure part number for oil filter. I called Revzilla and Yamaha, and both confirmed 2022 filter # 5GH-13440-80. I couldn’t find that, so I took a chance and ordered 5GH-13440-61 off Amazon. Finished oil/gear oil change, and I can confirm filter on the 2022 is that exact number, 5GH-13440-61. Great bike - I love riding it!

Last edited:
Filter will be fine. Depending on where you look, either number may come up. Engine hasn't changed...
(Don't think I have ever used a Yamaha filter but probably a good idea for the first change.)

Older model years had a slightly longer filter than newer years hence different part #'s. Either fits, either does the job. Buy whichever is cheaper. Plus there are several well known off-the-shelf filters that work fine. I still use Mobil 1 filters, have for yrs. M108 is the shorter one, M110 is the longer.

+1 for the Mobile 1 filters. An added benefit for them is that they are painted black. Through the years I also used Purolator ONE (PL 14610) filters without any issues. They are also good quality, and can be purchased for less than $10 ea. from Pep Boys, etc. They come in blue, but I usually get a few of them at a time, place them on a cardboard sheet (thread side down) and spray them evenly with high-temp black paint.

As stated filters also fit outboards. I got a -71 which is known for outboards too an 1/4” longer than -61. Bike dealer said last year… “correct filter”. I believe yamaha changes numbers at will due to minor physical differences… 1/4”, 1/8” etc

Just hit 600 miles on the new bike. I was reading all the posts here about oil changes and filters, and trying to figure part number for oil filter. I called Revzilla and Yamaha, and both confirmed 2022 filter # 5GH-13440-80. I couldn’t find that, so I took a chance and ordered 5GH-13440-61 off Amazon. Finished oil/gear oil change, and I can confirm filter on the 2022 is that exact number, 5GH-13440-61. Great bike - I love riding it!
I amazes me that someone can drop 20 grand on a bike and worry about spending an extra dollar on a filter, or oil for that matter. On both my FJR's I have stuck with Mama Yama filters but chose Motul 5100 oil, cost an extra $20 per year or so but my pension will stretch that far.

I amazes me that someone can drop 20 grand on a bike and worry about spending an extra dollar on a filter, or oil for that matter. On both my FJR's I have stuck with Mama Yama filters but chose Motul 5100 oil, cost an extra $20 per year or so but my pension will stretch that far.

Agreed!

But then it also amazes me that some folk will throw money away on fancy, $$$$ oils and other such stuff when it is not necessary. Same for doing maintenance more than specified!

For crying out loud, where does the madness end???? 😮

After reading threads like this on various forums / email lists for some 30 years, I'm not that easily amazed. It still interests me, though, how worked up people get when someone else doesn't do things the same way they do.