2022 FJR Lean Angle Sensor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRForever

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys! And girls!
Had a weird thing happen that might help you if it happens to you.

I had left my key on a couple of weeks ago and ran down the battery.
I slow charged it back to health overnight. The next day I started it up and the yellow engine light came on.
Drove it around to see if it would go away or if I noticed any issues. Didn't go away and didn't notice any issues.
A week later after driving it around town it was still there.
I decide since there were no noticeable issues I would take it on a 950 mile round trip to Talladega Gran Prix Raceway in Alabama.
Before I left I went to change my suspension settings and the screen for the passenger, luggage and detailed settings would not show at all. All that was available was the sreen showing
the suspension setting for soft, normal and hard (normal?). I thought I was losing my mind that I couldn't find that screen.
Somewhere a long the way on the trip i realized it might have to do w/ the engine light.
When I got home I took it to the Yamaha dealership and they found it was coding the lean angle sensor.
I hadn't dropped the bike or anything close to that so they felt that maybe losing power somehow caused the problem.
I had run my battery down a lot on my 2007 FJR and never had this issue, but I didn't have the electronics this has either.
Once they cleared the code the suspension screen was all the way back and works great.
Just thought I would put it out there.

I had a similar situation last summer. My check engine light came on as I was going down the road. No noticeable change with motorcycle performance. Later on I found I lost my ability to change suspension settings. Code came back as a "lost communication between the ECU and IMU". Checked the electrical plug-ins to both units and cleared the code. No problem since.

I had a similar situation last summer. My check engine light came on as I was going down the road. No noticeable change with motorcycle performance. Later on I found I lost my ability to change suspension settings. Code came back as a "lost communication between the ECU and IMU". Checked the electrical plug-ins to both units and cleared the code. No problem since.
Pretty weird huh? Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. I had a 2007 for 13 years. The engine light probably came on about 7 times over those years. But it always went offf in a short period of time. Never stayed on. Thanks again

Question: is the lean angle sensor's job to kill the engine when it knows the bike is laying on it's side?

Yes that is what it does. I haven't mentioned this yet but I have had a few times where my bike won't start. It will turn over really strongly but won't start. Usually when I shut the key off and turn it back on then it will start. So now, I am wondering if there could be maybe an intermittent problem w/ the lean angle sensor. We will see what happens as time goes on. Did a 960 mile trip yesterday and had not issues at. The bike was amazing.