2022 FJR Powder Coat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, thank you for your replies.
I thought there were 4 types of PC. Epoxy, Hybrid, Polyurethane and Polyester. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the types? I don't know. I asked b/c I restored a BMW a few years ago and had the wheels and several parts PC'd. I did not have the parts clear coated because I was concerned about glossyness being high. I should have asked about the clear coat as after a year the PC started to wear off when I would clean the wheels with anything such as WD-40 or S100. It was disappointed as I spent some big bucks on this Beemer and after a year the PC was wearing off?
It really did not matter much as I sold the bike shortly thereafter to a collector who wanted it.
Yamaha, in my opinion, exercised some significant cost down measures on the FJR after they intro'd the 6 speed. With many parts just having black paint, and not very good paint. In addition the Rust Preventative (RP) for the fasteners was poor. I spent a couple hundred $ on new SS or Titanium fasteners the year after I bought mine due to corrosion. IMO I felt as though the bike's days were numbered. Add on the recall for 2nd gear and Yamaha corporate more than likely put the final nail in the coffin.

Again, Great job.
Since I bought my FJR I wanted to redo the wheels silver such as you did.
Next time I get new shoes for the old girl the wheels will go to the PC'r.

I've been thinking of a very fine sandblasting on my '13's black wheels. More of a silver satin finish rather than shiny. Then clearcoat right away.

Hi, thank you for your replies.
I thought there were 4 types of PC. Epoxy, Hybrid, Polyurethane and Polyester. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the types? I don't know. I asked b/c I restored a BMW a few years ago and had the wheels and several parts PC'd. I did not have the parts clear coated because I was concerned about glossyness being high. I should have asked about the clear coat as after a year the PC started to wear off when I would clean the wheels with anything such as WD-40 or S100. It was disappointed as I spent some big bucks on this Beemer and after a year the PC was wearing off?
It really did not matter much as I sold the bike shortly thereafter to a collector who wanted it.
Yamaha, in my opinion, exercised some significant cost down measures on the FJR after they intro'd the 6 speed. With many parts just having black paint, and not very good paint. In addition the Rust Preventative (RP) for the fasteners was poor. I spent a couple hundred $ on new SS or Titanium fasteners the year after I bought mine due to corrosion. IMO I felt as though the bike's days were numbered. Add on the recall for 2nd gear and Yamaha corporate more than likely put the final nail in the coffin.

Again, Great job.
Since I bought my FJR I wanted to redo the wheels silver such as you did.
Next time I get new shoes for the old girl the wheels will go to the PC'r.
Here is the info I got back from my powder coater after I asked him your question about the different kinds powder coating. He is not a man of many words.

"Never ever clean powder coated parts with WD-40. Your coating was a polyester (uv stable) " (He was talking about my bike that he did) then he texted again.

"Polyester & Polyurethane powders are UV stable… Epoxy & Hybrid powders are not UV stable…those colors are recommended to use a clear coat of some sort" - I hope that helps.

I have a 2014 and had my wheels powder coated silver then a clear on top of that. Would highly recommend the clear on top, makes the silver flake really pop. Just can't do black wheels. I also took the time to sand off all the letters and markings off the wheels before powder coat and they clean up so much easier.
Nice project Mophead. I have black rims on my 2016 and don't care for black. How much of the work did you do? Est. price on doing it?

Nice project Mophead. I have black rims on my 2016 and don't care for black. How much of the work did you do? Est. price on doing it?
The only work I did was to sand off all the letters and markings on the wheels and then strip them down to bare wheels. All bearings and seals have to be removed for the powder coat. Rear wheel has a left handed thread so just be aware when removing rear wheel bearings.
Best I remember cost around $400 for powder coat and new bearings and seals. I installed everything myself. It's not really hard. Just throw the bearings in the freezer overnight before you put them back in.

Here is the info I got back from my powder coater after I asked him your question about the different kinds powder coating. He is not a man of many words.

"Never ever clean powder coated parts with WD-40. Your coating was a polyester (uv stable) " (He was talking about my bike that he did) then he texted again.

"Polyester & Polyurethane powders are UV stable… Epoxy & Hybrid powders are not UV stable…those colors are recommended to use a clear coat of some sort" - I hope that helps.
Thank you for the reply. Its very good data for sure. I wonder if you should not use WD-40 for the clear coat? Not that I go around cleaning everything with WD, I'm just curious as to the PC's durability.

Thank you for the reply. Its very good data for sure. I wonder if you should not use WD-40 for the clear coat? Not that I go around cleaning everything with WD, I'm just curious as to the PC's durability.
Good question. I will try to find out. You wouldn't think it would affect the powder coat because it is electrically infused and oven heated into the metal. But who knows. I'll see what I can find. Just don't clean all your stuff w/ WD40!! Hahaha!

All this fussin and tinkerin. Y'all must be retired. I just stuck some reflector stickers on the rims and it looks good to me. They're even color matched to boot.
Here we are in front of Alice's restaurant watching the ambulances go by to pick up all the yay whoo's that slid out in the corners.

Ride em hard, put em away dirty, and stay thirsty my friends!

Attachments

• IMG_6807.JPG
    IMG_6807.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
All this fussin and tinkerin. Y'all must be retired. I just stuck some reflector stickers on the rims and it looks good to me. They're even color matched to boot.
Here we are in front of Alice's restaurant watching the ambulances go by to pick up all the yay whoo's that slid out in the corners.

Ride em hard, put em away dirty, and stay thirsty my friends!
Haha! Great post. No retirement for me. Probably never. Your bike looks really good 😊