2022 FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while back someone posted a link to an excellent article that explained how that is not necessarily an easy thing to do, and in fact can be a very hard thing to do.  Sometimes necessitating a clean sheet new design.  I'm not sure they sell enough FJRs to justify the cost of a brand new design.
Didn't BMW achieve the emission requirements by going to variable valve timing in the R1250 series by using the existing engine and modifying the heads?  Couldn't Yamaha do the same?

As FJRAY said, it's about the bean counters.

Yamaha has the technical resources to do almost anything. FJR sales are likely too small to make it worthwhile for them to apply those resources in the way we'd like them to.

I don't think the future of the FJR is terribly bright. Harley (hate to say it....) has come up with a new platform that makes FJR levels of power but weighs much less, and cudos to them for doing it. I'm afraid the FJR needs a total rethink to attract more customers.

Harley needs a lot more than an engine...

Yamaha has 3 cyl. engines that would be suitable.  Just a question of whether they want to design a sport-tourer around one of them.

Harley has had a great engine before that was doomed to fail- the Revolution engine was put in a terrible frame and was ultimately discontinued.

I just don’t see adventure riders going into the local H-D dealership, the riding cultures just don’t seem to mix.  That being said, I do hope the bike is a success for the company......

biknflyfisher

I just don’t see adventure riders going into the local H-D dealership, the riding cultures just don’t seem to mix.
They put a dumbed-down version of that engine in the new Sportster-S.  Might sell a few of these even if the Pan America Adventure bike doesn't make it.

Sportster - S

Yamaha has the technology and the track record for an all-new sport-tourer built around one of their existing engines - just a question of whether the market would support the development costs.

Somebody here probablly knows.

You would think that with all the FJR people on this forum, FJROwners and IBR, SOMEBODY would be a Yamaha employee or have an inside track into what Yamaha will do in 2022. The decision for the 2022 model year had to have been made a long time ago for sub contracted parts, manufacturing, assembly, scheduling and marketing. All need significant lead times.

Whoever you are, speak up.  if you tell me, I will pinky swear not to tell anyone else.

-DL

Yamaha has 3 cyl. engines that would be suitable.  Just a question of whether they want to design a sport-tourer around one of them.
I think they have.  I'm still holding to the theory of that being the replacement for the FJR.  Between the Euro standards, last year's release of the "Ultimate Edition" and their own marketing calling the Tracer GT a Sport Tourer I just have a feeling they're cleaning off the shelves of FJR pieces.  Truly hope I'm wrong though.

BMW has RS, RT and will have next year new K1600 - all with Euro5. So it works and market must be there. Tracer can compete to XR’s but not to those ST machines. I still hope that Yamaha will show us something what we all want…

I’m waiting for a 22 FJR, and, depending upon color, will trade my current fjr for it. Absent availability, I’ll look at a super ten instead. 

Somebody here probablly knows.

You would think that with all the FJR people on this forum, FJROwners and IBR, SOMEBODY would be a Yamaha employee or have an inside track into what Yamaha will do in 2022. The decision for the 2022 model year had to have been made a long time ago for sub contracted parts, manufacturing, assembly, scheduling and marketing. All need significant lead times.

Whoever you are, speak up. if you tell me, I will pinky swear not to tell anyone else.

-DL
PROBABLY OLD NEWS BY NOW, BUT JUST SAW LATE LAST WEEK WHILE KICKING AORUND ON THE NET THERE WILL BE A 2022 FJR. ES ONLY AND COBALT BLUE. GREAT BIKE AS YOU KNOW, AND A HELLUVA LOT LESS THAN AN R1200/1250RT. I SEE A LOT OF WHINING ABOUT IT NEEDS AN UPDATE BUT NOT SURE WHAT THESE GUYS ARE LOOKING FOR EXACTLY. I LIKE THE FACT THAT IT IS PRICED WHERE IT IS AND NOT 6K MORE.

What it needs? TFT dash (current dash washes out badly in sunlight), quick shifter, and TPMS. Then it would be perfect and these would have minimal affect on price.
I would argue that the bike could definitely use an electronic upgrade to include the stuff you mention and maybe a decent GPS built in. If it doesn't do that, it would eventually suffer the same fate as the Honda ST1300 - becoming less relevant to riders as years go by.

What it really NEEDS is an updated engine that yields the same (or better) power, performance and reliability yet complies with more stringent emissions standards demanded in Europe and many places around the globe. If that doesn't happen then the bike has no future. This shouldn't be a big stretch for Yamaha...

In the meantime, we get another year as the mothership burns through parts inventories.

It’s still a production bike. They never (in modern times) held enough parts to cover even blips in the failure rate of a specific part. We aren’t getting leftovers. We are getting just enough, just in time parts, for the most part (no pun intended) in the 22 bikes. It’d be cheap to add TFT, and maybe a third throttle map, as a gimmick. And maybe a Cap lock. But neither is needed.

They likely have more than one possible replacement and upgrades already tested and numbers crunched for parts procurement and production. Yamaha should take a look at how BMW and HD market their bikes to lure riders and nonriders into the showroom. Pretty pictures and specs are not enough when the lesser brands target emotions, envy and identity. The long distance reliability over Iron Butts ( images and videos) and years of touring on older, high mileage bikes ( videos as the bike is in and out for new tires with respectful admiration from the younger and older tech at a clean and modern service center) as well as the sporting nature in the twisty roads, in and out of national parks ( with a cutie on the back) would be a good places to start. This stuff is easy, they just need to get out of the idea that it will sell itself. Which it will to those of us that know. But the average rider is really average above the shoulders. Some serious ambition to move the market back to the best sport touring choice is what Yamaha needs most.

They likely have more than one possible replacement and upgrades already tested and numbers crunched for parts procurement and production. Yamaha should take a look at how BMW and HD market their bikes to lure riders and nonriders into the showroom. Pretty pictures and specs are not enough when the lesser brands target emotions, envy and identity. The long distance reliability over Iron Butts ( images and videos) and years of touring on older, high mileage bikes ( videos as the bike is in and out for new tires with respectful admiration from the younger and older tech at a clean and modern service center) as well as the sporting nature in the twisty roads, in and out of national parks ( with a cutie on the back) would be a good places to start. This stuff is easy, they just need to get out of the idea that it will sell itself. Which it will to those of us that know. But the average rider is really average above the shoulders. Some serious ambition to move the market back to the best sport touring choice is what Yamaha needs most.
Well said.