2022 FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowrey

Reaction score
Yamaha reportedly patented a composite frame member. The submitted drawing looks like the cast FJR frame and the line drawing looks like an FJR. So what will Yamaha do in 2022? 

a) Delete the FJR and exit sport touring, conceding to BMW.  OR

b) start fresh with an all new design, incurring massive development, certification and testing costs OR

c) Continue with the FJR using the composite lighter frame, slightly redesigned plastic, radar cruise control, new larger display panel, and something else for safety.  My prediction is this option.

IMHO, none of the above.

If the FJR is back for 2022, the only difference might be a paint color.  If, in the unlikely event that they think a totally new FJR is viable, they will drop FJR production for at least a year in the interim.  Just remember that these guys thought it was a great idea to replace the great V4 in the Venture and come up with a monstrosity of a tourer based on an anemic V-twin.

Would be great to see a real sport tourer based on a larger version of their triple, a lightweight frame, redesigned bodywork and modern electronics but I won't hold my breath.  

I believe that there is still a market for a Yamaha sport touring machine. If Yamaha has developed a lighter composite frame then it makes sense to put one of their existing engines that are compliant with the Euro5 requirements into that lighter frame and add the features we like from our FJR, like the wind protection and storage. I have not been paying attention to what engines Yamaha is building these days, but a triple might make sense if it has the torque we enjoy. That leaves the question open about whether or not shaft drive will be included.

Euro 5 has killed the FJR in Europe ... like other big GTs.

Now here people only want to Trail ... that they will never step on the earth

Just like in cars they only want SUVs ... which are fake all-terrain

Unfortunately that leaves only the Teutonic "premium" brand if you want a sporty GT with an shaft drive.

Was the new composite frame what is going in the R7?  Or is this still a mystery that may turn into an FJR successor?

Hey Guys. At 61 years young (😂) I have set up my fastest color red 2014 with enough Farkles to satisfy me well into retirement. With only 14,800 miles on her, bike will never leave my garage Man Cave...

I know we are on the verge of a big shift in engine technology (electric more, gas less) that has this old school guy look at my FJR as an end of an era.

It reminds me of the old school muscle cars of the 70’s, raw horsepower that brought a shit grin adrenaline rush to this old Teenager every time I left a Redlight 😊

Will I buy more bikes in the future? Of course. Will it have an electric motor? Not a chance...There are enough fossil fuel burning Bikes for me to own, until they peel my cold dead hands off the grips.

This may be your answer.

Yamaha Pulls the Cover Off the 2021 Tracer 9 GT

SFY7J7P7ANHADLFS7SYH6DGP3U.jpg

I believe Yamaha could and should modify the FJR to meet Euro5 emissions standards. Other manufacturers have done that with older designs and I think Yamaha has the resources to do the same.

I believe Yamaha could and should modify the FJR to meet Euro5 emissions standards. Other manufacturers have done that with older designs and I think Yamaha has the resources to do the same.

A while back someone posted a link to an excellent article that explained how that is not necessarily an easy thing to do, and in fact can be a very hard thing to do.  Sometimes necessitating a clean sheet new design.  I'm not sure they sell enough FJRs to justify the cost of a brand new design.

A while back someone posted a link to an excellent article that explained how that is not necessarily an easy thing to do, and in fact can be a very hard thing to do.  Sometimes necessitating a clean sheet new design.  I'm not sure they sell enough FJRs to justify the cost of a brand new design.
Sure seems if Suzuki can modify the 'busa for Euro5, Yamaha could do the same for the FJR.

~G

Euro5 compliance requires more ECU computer power and exhaust system and catalyst redesign. The technology is utilized across all models and can be applied to the FJR. Little Aprilia did it for the RSV4, and I’m sure Yamaha sells more FJRs.

Euro5 compliance requires more ECU computer power and exhaust system and catalyst redesign. The technology is utilized across all models and can be applied to the FJR. Little Aprilia did it for the RSV4, and I’m sure Yamaha sells more FJRs.
This makes a lot of sense. Yamaha will have to meet the EURO5 standard across their street bike line or stop selling in Europe. If one or more of their existing engines can not fit into the equation then those engines will go away and be replaced by something else. That still does not satisfy the question about what a new FJR will be, or even if it will be. Electric may eventually become the right answer for cars and other similar vehicles, but I don't think that will work for motorcycles because of the weight of the batteries and/or very limited range.