2022 FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too many riders have moved from a large cc sports tourer to the adventure bike market. Whether you like it or not the replacement to the FJR1300 is the Tracer 9GT. The bike gets great reviews, and the market for sport tourers is going towards lighter weight better handling bikes over bikes like the FJR and Connie. I got rid of FZ-1 which was customized for sport touring (Givi bags, touring windshield, hand warmers, throttle lock, etc) for an FJR which has been my dream bike forever. I love the bike but bought it from a guy that purchased a BMW R 1250 GS. The bike he sold me was his second FJR. I asked him if he had taken his Beemer off road. He said only once in 6 months. I whittled him down some on the price by mentioning to him that the market for new FJRs and the like are going to adventure bikes and lighter sport tourers. Sorry fellows but we may be going the way of the dinosaur with big bore STs.

The tracer is no replacement. It’s too small and not substantial enough to be stable at speed. It’s a lovely bike. If all I did was ride locally it would be a contender. And I still want those cases for my fjr.

I was on a group ride yesterday and one of the guys had a Tracer 9GT. Sorry, but it looked and felt like a toy compared to my FJR. I would not want to be on that bike in some severe crosswinds like I recently encountered in Montana. Also, the chain drive is a deal killer for me.

The tracer is no replacement. It’s too small and not substantial enough to be stable at speed. It’s a lovely bike. If all I did was ride locally it would be a contender. And I still want those cases for my fjr.
Bill, I am not always right (you can ask my ex wife, she will vouch for me on that) but unfortunately it looks like the market is driving the motorcycle companies towards a lighter chain driven sports tourer or adventure bikes. I do hope I am wrong and that you are correct and that Yamaha will continue to make and improve on the FJR1300.

You say you want to stay with your FJR hard cases? :D

ProsserTracer.jpg

The FJR's hard cases fit natively on the Tracer 900 GT :

RearTracerFJRcases.jpg

And of course the Tracer is not the massive behemoth that the FJR is in comparison, and that is the whole point! I've taken Spousal Unit Annie over 10,000 miles together on the Tracer GT this past summer, 2-up touring as we always have on the FJR. The SHAD 40L topbox is only 6L smaller than the big Givi V46 we had on the FJR, so we have to pack a bit more efficiently. The only time I long for the FJR is when temps drop below 50-degrees - the Tracer doesn't have the lower protection from the elements. Otherwise, it has been a nice conversion after 20 years of FJR riding. (y)

Since I have a (05) FJR and a (15) FJ 09, I would like to add a few observations. I have over 230K on the FJRs and just completed a 6K adventure to the Ozarks on it. I also have 106K on the FJ09, which took over all forms of riding from the FJR without any problem. At speed the FJ is very stable and the wind is only a small issue if you learn to use the windscreen and reduce the buffeting. Hide behind the wind screen as in leaning the bike into the wind and staying upright with the body and head, thus reducing the turbulence on your body. In 2014 I bought a FZ09 and rode it 6K while riding the FJR 19K, then I got the FJ 09 because I could hang the FJR saddlebags on the brackets that come with the bike. The FJ09 was designed and outfitted to hang City bags on them, which use the same mounting box as the FJR saddlebags. I put 26K on the FJ the first year and only 2K on the FJR. Hands down the FJ09 was a better bike for me, mainly because of the weight, most important as it allows me to move the bike in and out of the garage easy. If you weigh 220+ this may not seam like a big deal, but I only weigh 155 and I am 75 years old, so it is a big deal. Case in point, night before leaving on my Ozark trip I dropped the FJR in the garage and separated the right side mirror in two, and busted off the windscreen. Had to get a neighbor to help me upright the bike. Other benefits included, less tiring to ride, as in muscling it around corners, I installed electronic cruise control with the throttle by wire on the FJ, more relaxed sitting position, less pain in the knees, same weight to HP as the FJR, so 0-60 performance was almost identical, and it is just as capable as the FJR, the engine is awesome. Down side: Chain is a pain in the ass, takes longer to wash, Both bikes have after market suspensions, so both are very solid in the twisties. Both bikes are fun to ride, but the FJ is lighter, and lighter has it's benefits. Both are good for the long haul, with the FJR slightly better due to the amount of fuel and distance between gas stops. 270-310m vs 180-220m for the FJ, but this only seems to matter when I ride alone, cause I will stretch out the miles. Just want you all to know, I love both of these bikes, and only kept the FJR to always have a back up bike in the garage ready to go.

Attachments

• FJR_FJ09.jpg
    FJR_FJ09.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 39
Since I have a (05) FJR and a (15) FJ 09, I would like to add a few observations. I have over 230K on the FJRs and just completed a 6K adventure to the Ozarks on it. I also have 106K on the FJ09, which took over all forms of riding from the FJR without any problem. At speed the FJ is very stable and the wind is only a small issue if you learn to use the windscreen and reduce the buffeting. Hide behind the wind screen as in leaning the bike into the wind and staying upright with the body and head, thus reducing the turbulence on your body. In 2014 I bought a FZ09 and rode it 6K while riding the FJR 19K, then I got the FJ 09 because I could hang the FJR saddlebags on the brackets that come with the bike. The FJ09 was designed and outfitted to hang City bags on them, which use the same mounting box as the FJR saddlebags. I put 26K on the FJ the first year and only 2K on the FJR. Hands down the FJ09 was a better bike for me, mainly because of the weight, most important as it allows me to move the bike in and out of the garage easy. If you weigh 220+ this may not seam like a big deal, but I only weigh 155 and I am 75 years old, so it is a big deal. Case in point, night before leaving on my Ozark trip I dropped the FJR in the garage and separated the right side mirror in two, and busted off the windscreen. Had to get a neighbor to help me upright the bike. Other benefits included, less tiring to ride, as in muscling it around corners, I installed electronic cruise control with the throttle by wire on the FJ, more relaxed sitting position, less pain in the knees, same weight to HP as the FJR, so 0-60 performance was almost identical, and it is just as capable as the FJR, the engine is awesome. Down side: Chain is a pain in the ass, takes longer to wash, Both bikes have after market suspensions, so both are very solid in the twisties. Both bikes are fun to ride, but the FJ is lighter, and lighter has it's benefits. Both are good for the long haul, with the FJR slightly better due to the amount of fuel and distance between gas stops. 270-310m vs 180-220m for the FJ, but this only seems to matter when I ride alone, cause I will stretch out the miles. Just want you all to know, I love both of these bikes, and only kept the FJR to always have a back up bike in the garage ready to go.
Thanks for your input and yes as I got older I realized lighter is better. Hence my purchase of a 2020 katana. I still keep my blue 05 FJR for touring.

I think they have. I'm still holding to the theory of that being the replacement for the FJR. Between the Euro standards, last year's release of the "Ultimate Edition" and their own marketing calling the Tracer GT a Sport Tourer I just have a feeling they're cleaning off the shelves of FJR pieces. Truly hope I'm wrong though.
I've seen the Tracer up close and I would not call it a sport tourer by any means

Very nice NineT over at Supreme Wraps where I got my car wrapped. Gold and black and a beauty. Not a sport tourer for sure.

Between the two I would call the FJR1300 a Sport TOURER and the FJ9 and the Tracer 9GT a SPORT Tourer. I cannot see how anyone wouldn't think of the 9 as any other way. It has wind protection, cruise control, bags, great range, a spectacular engine, and a sporty frame. I love my FJR1300 but I don't ride nearly as aggressive as others so the cornering is not as important for me. As for the chain, yeah it's a bit of a hassle but not that bad. I am big, strong and manly BECAUSE I got a lot more muscle moving the bike in and out of the garage. It's a lot more difficult that my FZ was for sure. If I feel that I want a second bike, the MT-09 would be on my short list. For distance the FJR1300 can't be beat in my book. It really has most of the things that are very important to me but I certainly get the appeal of the Tracer 9 and think that it is an excellent ST.

Last edited:
When new, the ST1300 was talked about as a sport-TOURER and the FJR a sport-tourer while the the Sprint ST was considered a SPORT-tourer.

Too many riders have moved from a large cc sports tourer to the adventure bike market. Whether you like it or not the replacement to the FJR1300 is the Tracer 9GT. The bike gets great reviews, and the market for sport tourers is going towards lighter weight better handling bikes over bikes like the FJR and Connie. I got rid of FZ-1 which was customized for sport touring (Givi bags, touring windshield, hand warmers, throttle lock, etc) for an FJR which has been my dream bike forever. I love the bike but bought it from a guy that purchased a BMW R 1250 GS. The bike he sold me was his second FJR. I asked him if he had taken his Beemer off road. He said only once in 6 months. I whittled him down some on the price by mentioning to him that the market for new FJRs and the like are going to adventure bikes and lighter sport tourers. Sorry fellows but we may be going the way of the dinosaur with big bore STs.
Juat saw a view of the 2022 Suzuki GSX S1000GT. This might give the FJR some competition. Substantially less, but a much lighter bike with a 150hp rsting

I was on board until I saw the chain drive...
Chain drive wouldn't kill me but that is a very LONG way from being a sport-tourer in the FJR class. Nice bike, lots of power but hanging a set of (small) bags on it and a couple of extra fairing bits does not make it the same.

Last edited:
Saw that bike at the Motorcycle show in November in Southern California. Nice bike, lots of power, but the bike has relatively extreme seating position for me and would not be comfortable on long hauls without a lot of ergo changes. Very little could be done to change the more extreme peg position it has versus the FJR.(pegs are an inch or 2 further back than the FJR) Also, the windscreen is very narrow and has cutouts in the sides to accomodate the handlebar at full lock. They talk a lot about aerodynamics of the windscreen and fairing so maybe it is an improvement, but any aftermarket screens are likely to change the airflow and disrupt the design. I think there was very limited movement of the manual adjustable screen. My impression was that of a more lean forward position than the FJR which I have never found more comfortable on extended rides. This bike might work fine for average riders in the 5'8-5'10 height, but 6ft and over it's not likely to be as practical as the FJR. YMMV.

Juat saw a view of the 2022 Suzuki GSX S1000GT. This might give the FJR some competition. Substantially less, but a much lighter bike with a 150hp rsting
I'll never buy another Suzuki. They use every excuse NOT to honor their warranty. Also, shifting is substandard.

Saw that bike at the Motorcycle show in November in Southern California. Nice bike, lots of power, but the bike has relatively extreme seating position for me and would not be comfortable on long hauls without a lot of ergo changes. Very little could be done to change the more extreme peg position it has versus the FJR.(pegs are an inch or 2 further back than the FJR) Also, the windscreen is very narrow and has cutouts in the sides to accomodate the handlebar at full lock. They talk a lot about aerodynamics of the windscreen and fairing so maybe it is an improvement, but any aftermarket screens are likely to change the airflow and disrupt the design. I think there was very limited movement of the manual adjustable screen. My impression was that of a more lean forward position than the FJR which I have never found more comfortable on extended rides. This bike might work fine for average riders in the 5'8-5'10 height, but 6ft and over it's not likely to be as practical as the FJR. YMMV.
Hi Hair,
I think you are mixing up the FZ09 with the FJ09 as far as the seating position. I have had both FZ and FJ and what you describe is the FZ09 not the FJ. The FJ has a more relaxed riding position than the FJR, with the foot peg further forward so there is less knee bend and the foot pegs are further away from the seat so your legs are straighter and there is less lean forward than on the FJR. U are right on the windscreen. I installed a modified FJR Touring windscreen on the FJ and it worked fantastic. Tried for a couple years to get another FJR Touring windscreen but couldn't find one used in good shape and ended up buying a National VStream which works pretty good, much better than the VStream I had on the FJR. Come on over and you can test the riding position on both the FJR and the FJ side by side. FJR is 2005 and FJ is 2015 as seen in the pictures I posted above.