• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

$24 Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
Was looking through the parking lot sale at Harbor Freight this weekend and grabbed a Pelican knock-off, $30 regular and about $24 with 20% off coupon. Will now figure out a way to mount to cheaply mount to the back and a little extra waterproof and lockable storage for not a lot of money. It's a nice size and profile for the back of the bike. Looks like there's a bigger one for $10 more; this one will hold for example a pair of riding pants with some room to spare.

Edit: re-checked the case I got for that price and it's this:https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-watertight-protective-case-16-516-in-63927.html

Name 3800 Watertight Protective Case - 16-5/16 In. SKU 63927 Inside Length (in.) 14-15/16 in. Inside Height (in.) 6-11/16 in. Inside Width (in.) 10-9/16 in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are pretty nice, and at a great price. They’re probably about the same as the Seahorse SE 720 cases I got and mounted on my VStrom. I paid less than $50 each a couple of years ago. Those plastic cases have turned out to be real workhorses and nearly indestructible too. Mounted them up with a set of Happy Trails mounting pucks onto SWMotech pannier racks. The racks cost me far more than the cases did, but I don’t have the welding skills yet to make my own racks.

I got one, a tad smaller I believe, for $19. Turned it into a tool box for my GSA. It is mounted on a luggage tray the goes on and off like the rear seat. I did this instead of paying $313 for an aluminum toolbox.

F1_FE209_B-_E9_FA-44_B7-9220-_E86_C8_B9_D284_A.jpg

So I got around to mounting the case. I have a factory top case with the mounting plate so that made it pretty easy. I got 3 M8 80mm phillips screws at Home Depot that fit right through the case, plate and thread into the bike. Mounted it same direction as Pterodactyl's above, used the mounting plate as a guide, had a drill bit that fit just right, and drilled three holes for the screws. The plastic is nice and pliable and drilled out perfectly. 3 fender washers and it's mounted nicely on there. I'll keep a stubby phillips in there when I take it in case I want to remove it on the road, and I'm going to add a lip to slide under the cutout on the back of the plate for extra security, but all in all I'm pretty pleased with a waterproof top box for about $30 total that is lockable and looks pretty good on my black FJR. If anyone is interested I'll e-mail pics.