27" inseam buying an FJR possibly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueF1

Reaction score
Hi all, Im looking at seriously buying a 2006 FJR this next weekend. Ive been talking with the seller for a couple days and he seems like a legitimitaly honest person. The bike is really nice. 30,000 miles, no damage, always garaged, etc

The problem.....my inseam is 27" (MAYBE 29" I might of measured wrong)and Im 5'6". The bike seems like a dream. Theres another bike Im looking at, the FZ1 for the same price essentially but its not in as good a shape as the FJR and Ive seen so many gOod things about the FJR.

Ive lurked these forums and youtube videos reading everything I could find to help me make a decision. Most short riders inseams seem to be 29" and theyre conplaining. Im 27".

Anyone have any advice or experience or anything to help me out here? Previous bikes were 2009 Husqvarna SM510, 2001 KLR 650 and another 2008 KLR 650. Ive ridden a lot and feel very comfortable riding. I cant wait to ride again and need a vehicle really bad.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
This is one of many posts concerning short inseam.I think you will be just fine with a few tweaks.

I'm 5'7 with a 29" inseam. Even scooted up to the tank, I still have only my toes down, without the plastic tray, and with the seat in the lowest position. I'm still using the stock seat, even after 10K miles. (I need to get a Russel). Anyways, at intersections I usually shift my butt over to one side or the other and place one foot flat. As you can see from my signature, I have yet to join the drop club, and I'm a fairly "new" rider. I've been riding since 2009, and have about 20K lifetime miles on any motored 2 wheel machine.

At 5'9, I'm assuming you have close to a 30" inseam, which is 1" better than me. I'm fairly young, and the weight of this machine doesn't bother me. Just keep her balanced on her own rubber and she'll treat you good.
thumbsup.gif

Hi all, Im looking at seriously buying a 2006 FJR this next weekend. Ive been talking with the seller for a couple days and he seems like a legitimitaly honest person. The bike is really nice. 30,000 miles, no damage, always garaged, etc

The problem.....my inseam is 27" (MAYBE 29" I might of measured wrong)and Im 5'6". The bike seems like a dream. Theres another bike Im looking at, the FZ1 for the same price essentially but its not in as good a shape as the FJR and Ive seen so many gOod things about the FJR.

Ive lurked these forums and youtube videos reading everything I could find to help me make a decision. Most short riders inseams seem to be 29" and theyre conplaining. Im 27".

Anyone have any advice or experience or anything to help me out here? Previous bikes were 2009 Husqvarna SM510, 2001 KLR 650 and another 2008 KLR 650. Ive ridden a lot and feel very comfortable riding. I cant wait to ride again and need a vehicle really bad.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Answered on your other post. 😉

I'm 5ft 6. Have an 05. Can toe down on each side. Ended, putting in lowering links and stopped fork about an in. Can flat foot a side. Did same thing on my old klr. Klr was more work to swing a leg over but soft springs ended up about the same height.

This is one of many posts concerning short inseam.I think you will be just fine with a few tweaks.

I'm 5'7 with a 29" inseam. Even scooted up to the tank, I still have only my toes down, without the plastic tray, and with the seat in the lowest position. I'm still using the stock seat, even after 10K miles. (I need to get a Russel). Anyways, at intersections I usually shift my butt over to one side or the other and place one foot flat. As you can see from my signature, I have yet to join the drop club, and I'm a fairly "new" rider. I've been riding since 2009, and have about 20K lifetime miles on any motored 2 wheel machine.

At 5'9, I'm assuming you have close to a 30" inseam, which is 1" better than me. I'm fairly young, and the weight of this machine doesn't bother me. Just keep her balanced on her own rubber and she'll treat you good.
thumbsup.gif
Its such an awesome bike that us shorties cant help but want in on the fun. Youre actually probably a little taller than I am. Im definitely going to shave the seat down a bit and so some adjustments. Thanks for the description. I was wondering about if Id be able to just scoot to the side and put one good foot on the ground. It looks like thats possible!

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully you can get a new seat soon :)

I'm 5ft 6. Have an 05. Can toe down on each side. Ended, putting in lowering links and stopped fork about an in. Can flat foot a side. Did same thing on my old klr. Klr was more work to swing a leg over but soft springs ended up about the same height.
I use to have a KLR as well and I dont think I was flat foot on it haha. I am also 5'6" so I feel you man!

You just get use to after a while right? I hope!

I have a 32" inseam. I can flat-foot an 03 (Gen 1) but not an 06 (Gen 2) even with the seat in the lower position. Both have the same stock seat height, but the later bikes had a wider seat.

Over the years I've seen a lot of various tricks for shorter riders on taller bikes. The first and most obvious are lifts and/or thick soles in the rider's boots. Loose pants with a generous crotch are also helpful. I knew one short girl on a tall Honda that disabled the sidestand switch -- she would drop the stand as she came to a stop and kick it back up as she took off. Someone now makes an automated system that extends wheels to either side at low speeds (note: I just googled it and it's called "Leg up Landing System -- no version for the FJR yet, but maybe contact them?)

Lowering links are available for the FJR, but will necessitate a shorter sidestand and centrestand. Make sure you lower the front equally to avoid handling issues. One can shave the stock seat or fit a custom thinner/narrower seat.

If you have shorter legs, there's a good chance you have shorter arms too. The 06 does offer some adjustability in the handlebar position, which may be enough for you. Otherwise you may be shopping for one of the pull-back handlebar options -- just be aware that the cables and especially brake/clutch hoses are only so long. Coming back significantly may also require longer hoses.

Moreso than any other vehicle, a motorcycle has to fit the rider. I would never buy an unknown model sight unseen (no matter how nice the seller sounds). My advice is to go check the bike out and swing a leg over it before making your decision.

The Bike will be a bit of a challenge for you solo and much bigger challenge with two up. Just keep in mind if or when you drop it there will be a lot of very expensive damage to say nothing about getting hurt. IF you decide to buy one I suggest you consider some after market "CrashBars" which will miniumize damage or injury. The FJR is one great bike to be sure. I've went though 6 of them and enjoyed every ride but they may Not be the right bike for everyone. Good Luck for whatever you decide.

I just bought a new 2022 FJR1300 this Spring. I am 5' 4.5" tall and have a 29" inseam. I knew beforehand that it would be a very tall bike. I have managed large motorcycles for years, the last one being a Honda ST1300. The FJR was even taller than stock ST. The first thing I did to my zero mile FJR was to take the stock seat off and cut it down by pulling the staples and using an electric carving knife and then re-stapling it. Came out perfectly. That saved me about an inch. The second thing I did was to order some Daytona M-Star boots that are known to short riders to give them more height. Those two changes helped me reach the ground much better but not flat footed. I then bought some Soupy's lowering links and kickstand which got me fully flat footed. I have been told over the years that I should learn to balance my bikes on my tiptoes and that not flat footing was something I should get used to as many short riders do. The theory offered is that changing the suspension would adversely effect the handling of the bike. I can say with conviction that being able to flat foot far outweighs my concerns about handling problems, which by the way I have never experienced in 30 years of riding suspension modified big bikes. (I only weigh 150 lbs) Don't listen to the naysayers. If you are a seasoned biker you should be able to master the FJR1300. I have 1500 happy miles on it so far and I am very comfortable with it as I was with my previous Honda Magna 65, Honda ST1100 and recent Honda ST1300. YMMV

I just bought a new 2022 FJR1300 this Spring. I am 5' 4.5" tall and have a 29" inseam. I knew beforehand that it would be a very tall bike. I have managed large motorcycles for years, the last one being a Honda ST1300. The FJR was even taller than stock ST. The first thing I did to my zero mile FJR was to take the stock seat off and cut it down by pulling the staples and using an electric carving knife and then re-stapling it. Came out perfectly. That saved me about an inch. The second thing I did was to order some Daytona M-Star boots that are known to short riders to give them more height. Those two changes helped me reach the ground much better but not flat footed. I then bought some Soupy's lowering links and kickstand which got me fully flat footed. I have been told over the years that I should learn to balance my bikes on my tiptoes and that not flat footing was something I should get used to as many short riders do. The theory offered is that changing the suspension would adversely effect the handling of the bike. I can say with conviction that being able to flat foot far outweighs my concerns about handling problems, which by the way I have never experienced in 30 years of riding suspension modified big bikes. (I only weigh 150 lbs) Don't listen to the naysayers. If you are a seasoned biker you should be able to master the FJR1300. I have 1500 happy miles on it so far and I am very comfortable with it as I was with my previous Honda Magna 65, Honda ST1100 and recent Honda ST1300. YMMV
This makes me happy to see and read big time! I am looking so forward to it. Hey, I have some other ways of lowering it someone sent me. Ill try to send it to you. Its a method without lowering links and I understand where youre coming from about losing handling. Thats what I dont want but being able to flat foot would be awesome. As long as my toes can touch lol.

Ill check out those boots man. I appreciate it!

I have a 32" inseam. I can flat-foot an 03 (Gen 1) but not an 06 (Gen 2) even with the seat in the lower position. Both have the same stock seat height, but the later bikes had a wider seat.

Over the years I've seen a lot of various tricks for shorter riders on taller bikes. The first and most obvious are lifts and/or thick soles in the rider's boots. Loose pants with a generous crotch are also helpful. I knew one short girl on a tall Honda that disabled the sidestand switch -- she would drop the stand as she came to a stop and kick it back up as she took off. Someone now makes an automated system that extends wheels to either side at low speeds (note: I just googled it and it's called "Leg up Landing System -- no version for the FJR yet, but maybe contact them?)

Lowering links are available for the FJR, but will necessitate a shorter sidestand and centrestand. Make sure you lower the front equally to avoid handling issues. One can shave the stock seat or fit a custom thinner/narrower seat.

If you have shorter legs, there's a good chance you have shorter arms too. The 06 does offer some adjustability in the handlebar position, which may be enough for you. Otherwise you may be shopping for one of the pull-back handlebar options -- just be aware that the cables and especially brake/clutch hoses are only so long. Coming back significantly may also require longer hoses.

Moreso than any other vehicle, a motorcycle has to fit the rider. I would never buy an unknown model sight unseen (no matter how nice the seller sounds). My advice is to go check the bike out and swing a leg over it before making your decision.
Very sound advice. I appreciate it greatly. Im gonna look into the leg up system that sounds interesting. The part about the cables is good to consider. I am going soon to look at it. Im pretty sure Im gonna biybit because i have a bug for it haha. But maybe Ill sit on it and feel differently. You never know! Thank you again for the thoughtful response and points to think about. I appreciate. :)

The Bike will be a bit of a challenge for you solo and much bigger challenge with two up. Just keep in mind if or when you drop it there will be a lot of very expensive damage to say nothing about getting hurt. IF you decide to buy one I suggest you consider some after market "CrashBars" which will miniumize damage or injury. The FJR is one great bike to be sure. I've went though 6 of them and enjoyed every ride but they may Not be the right bike for everyone. Good Luck for whatever you decide.
Solid advice! I really want to get some of the crash bars youre talking about. I couldnt afford to fix the fairings if I dropped it. Thankyou for reaffirming about the crash bars!

BigBlue,

The FJR is somewhat top-heavy. You may not notice this in flight, but it can be a handful in the parking lot. With the good mileage of the FJR, you can get by with just half a tank of gas (or less) at first. When the last segment of the gas gauge is flashing, you still have maybe thirty miles to find your bike a gas station.

Fall bars on the FJR are a good idea. In a zero-speed drop, they can save you more in repair bills than the bars will cost you. I would also recommend frame sliders, in addition to the fall bars. If the FJR gets too far out of vertical, no rider can stop the drop. Fall bars and frame sliders can make this mishap just a bother, without the repair bills. Make sure the bike does not come down on your foot - if you can't stop the drop, at least try to save your foot.

Seat cutdown. Easy job. 1 hour. Premark with chalk where your butt sits as if driving as best as you can. Pull the front and side staples only. Carve and then smooth as best as you can...I used an electric carving knife...I did end up also taking some off the sides where your inner thighs go. I used a small stiff wire brush to smooth the foam after cutting it as irregular bumps and cut lines in the foam will show up after you re-cover it. When you put the cover back on you must stretch the material on and work from the back to the front making sure there is enough tension to have the material lay in correctly. I used an electric stapler with short staples as the plastic seat base is really hard. I decided to do this job knowing that if I screwed up I would simply buy a Corbin seat that was already cut down. YMMV

20220416_173208.jpg

Screenshot_20220416-185033_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20220416-185225_Gallery.jpg

Damn glad I read this thread as I'm 5'6", 66 yo and about to trade my '15 FJR for a HD Sport Glide. Heck I'm going to keep it now! As mentioned the FJR is top heavy and can be a bugger in parking lots but geez it's a dream to ride and I'm sure I would regret trading it. My other two bikes that fit me better are a ST2 and 999s Ducati that I enjoy riding for the purpose they were designed for but the FJR fits a different niche.
Back in 2015 I was at one dealership in another town looking at a FJR on the showroom floor and was told by a salesman I'm too short to be riding a FJR and it really offended me. A week later I bought mine at the local dealer and a month or so afterwards rode up on it to the offending dealership with a buddy and made it a point to say hello to that salesman!
I've sent my seat to Seat Concepts for a redo, not any lower in height that I could tell but more comfortable though not the best.
I'd think that your experience with your previous bikes that you'd have no trouble at all. Heck you're probably already riding it.