3rd Gen ES Suspension Problems Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel your suspension is wearing?

• Still as good as new.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I can tell it is wearing-in / changing but still feels good.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Starting to degrade but no need to do anything yet.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Degarding and I'm going to be looking for repair options soon.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's pretty well shot and I need to find a solution now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have already replaced part or parts of the ES suspension due to wear.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
MartyO posted: Was adjusting the spring rate to 2-up and it didn't make it and brought up a suspension problem light. I turned the bike off then restarted and it went right to 2-up and the light went off. I cycle thought the spring settings occasionally since it usually just stays on 1-up with bags. This happened in my first year and has never happened again.
Firstly, I am NOT a technical FJR guy.

So, you think the suspension light came on because the spring rate adjustment wasn't finished? As in, the ES was halfway changing before you accelerated away from a stop light?

I have "gotten caught" shifting the spring rate/preload at a stop light, but the light turned green before it finished. Has happened more than once. Don't remember a trouble light, but it could have happened.

(PS, I don't do that any longer, unless I KNOW the red light will be red for over 60 seconds.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had one problem. Was adjusting the spring rate to 2-up and it didn't make it and brought up a suspension problem light. I turned the bike off then restarted and it went right to 2-up and the light went off. I cycle thought the spring settings occasionally since it usually just stays on 1-up with bags. This happened in my first year and has never happened again.

How cold was it at the time?

From the ES Owners manual:

- About cold temperature operation:- When using the preload adjusting function, there should be no weight on the vehicle.

- When using the preload adjusting function at ambient temperatures near or below 0 C (32 F) to protect the preload adjusting function motor, the electronically adjustable suspension system warning light may come on.

- The suspension will still operate as normal, only the preload adjusting function cannot be used.

- To reset the electronically adjustable suspension system warning light, wait approximately 6 minutes and then turn the key to "OFF" and then wait 6 minutes.

- If the electronically adjustable suspension system warning light remains on, have a Yamaha dealer check the suspension system

Yes, I saw that information in the owners manual. The temperature was around 50 degrees, so I don't think it was the cold. Can't explain it. It did test the suspension trouble light, it works. So, if you can't figure it out, reboot. Seems like I'm the only one that have had a problem. Yamaha makes great bikes.

MartyO posted: Was adjusting the spring rate to 2-up and it didn't make it and brought up a suspension problem light. I turned the bike off then restarted and it went right to 2-up and the light went off. I cycle thought the spring settings occasionally since it usually just stays on 1-up with bags. This happened in my first year and has never happened again.

So, you think the suspension light came on because the spring rate adjustment wasn't finished? As in, the ES was halfway changing before you accelerated away from a stop light?

I have "gotten caught" shifting the spring rate/preload at a stop light, but the light turned green before it finished. Has happened more than once. Don't remember a trouble light, but it could have happened.

(PS, I don't do that any longer, unless I KNOW the red light will be red for over 60 seconds.)
Thanks for the information.

Interesting idea changing the preload at a stoplight. Call me a purist but I never change preload unless I am doing what the pretty pictures on the LCD depict (loaded bags, wife etc)

No problems with my ES setup either. It really isn't all that complicated with steppers etc from a control/robotics standpoint.

I absolutely love being able to change the damping on the fly as the road conditions change. It's just awesome!

Now I only wish my 3/4 ton diesel had the ability to change preload and damping from the driver's seat!

The owners manual says, "When using the preload adjusting function, there should be no weight on the bike". You should be off of the bike when making these changes.

I usually just stand up over the seat at the stop light. But I have changed it with my 4'12" ~100 lb wife perched on the back. I often forget to change the settings from 1-up to 2-up until after we get moving. It's that CRS thing...

Only way I keep it straight is to flip passenger pegs up or down. Keeps me from riding off with wrong setting. Damping on the fly is awesome.

Just a side note about bushing wear on inverted forks. Inverted forks experience higher levels of loading than standard forks from what I've learned. Don't know the science of it but have been told this and read about it several times from reputable places. However im sure they also have learned how to make bushings better like other things over years.

I do not own an ES, but am curious on a few things. One, why does the height of the bike change when spring preload is adjusted? I have a Hyperpro rear shock on my FJR, ride height is not effected (and it wasn't with the stock shock either) when adjusting spring preload. That adjustment should only change the range that the spring is working in. Height adjustment is a different setting on all non electric shocks I have worked with. So, what is different? Also, those of you that have traded up to an ES, are you finding the shock is lasting a lot longer than the a non ES suspension? My stock rear shock was fading out by 45,000 miles, that's why I am, asking.

A lot of interesting info here!

@Rain Dancer, I do not know the answer to your first question but maybe FredW or some one else does. As for your second question, longer useable life with the ES shock. Look at the poll to see how many have over 50k miles with virtually no wear noticed. I personally have 48k and after a fork fluid change, it feels like new. I know at least 2 others with well over 50k and their shock I'd still going strong.

I do not own an ES, but am curious on a few things. One, why does the height of the bike change when spring preload is adjusted? I have a Hyperpro rear shock on my FJR, ride height is not effected (and it wasn't with the stock shock either) when adjusting spring preload. That adjustment should only change the range that the spring is working in. Height adjustment is a different setting on all non electric shocks I have worked with. So, what is different?
Any time that you change the spring preload on any shock or fork the only thing that will vary is the ride height. Nothing else.

Think about it: When you increase "preload" you do that either by putting in an added spacer, or by cranking down a variable spacer, on the end of the spring. The spring will still be compressed exactly the same amount in total to support the fixed weight of the bike against gravity, but because the spring has the added spacer it will sit higher than it did (at that end of the bike). It's still the same spring, so the amount of deflection you get of the suspension riding down the road will be the same. In other words, the spring will be no stiffer than it ever was.

The stock shock soft/hard lever is NOT a preload adjustment. The stock shock has two springs in series that form a dual rate effective spring only when in the soft position. In the hard position the shorter of the two springs is locked out, so the shock will use the other spring by itself, which will have a harder effective spring rate. So no, on the stock shock changing that soft/hard lever doesn't affect ride height. And, changing that lever does affect how stiff the spring is, and will affect how far the suspension deflects while going down the road (with all else being constant).

I would bet that the ride height was changed when you cranked in preload on the HyperPro. You would see that by measuring the distance to the ground from some suspended frame part when fully loaded. It would not change the unloaded distance because the shock is topped out and you'd just be compressing the spring against the end stop.

Yes. there are also mechanical adjustments on many after market shocks that will alter the height both unloaded as well as loaded. These are usually a threaded adjuster of the attachment clevis. What the shock is doing when completely unloaded is of little significance, except that ideally you want the loaded static ride height to be about 1/3 of the total stroke of the shock to allow maximum deflection without bottoming out.

Hope that makes sense.

Aw Fred, you answered me too quickly! Realized last night my thought process was off. Need to repeat to myself, "think before typing". Thank you for the very detailed response. For some reason, once I read height changing, I went to a height adjustable shock (which, as you pointed out, is a threaded adjuster. Works great to change steering feel!) Since normally, for a "standard' shock, you adjust (in general) to keep sag the same with different weights, height doesn't change on the bike in the end result. My mind was stuck on that. I also forgot how the original FJR shock worked (been awhile since I have had one) and was using a general thought from older bikes. Again, my apologies.

Allen, I saw that in the survey about the how long the ES suspension is lasting, any thoughts as to why? I ask only because even with a top of the line Ohlins shock, you normally get 40,000 or so miles before you notice it wearing. While I love my Yamaha's, and my FJR, I just can't imagine they are using components that are that much better. (Even though they did own a major stake in Ohlins at one time)

Thanks again for the responses, and Fred, thanks for answering a really badly thought out question without flaming me!

Allen, I saw that in the survey about the how long the ES suspension is lasting, any thoughts as to why? I ask only because even with a top of the line Ohlins shock, you normally get 40,000 or so miles before you notice it wearing. While I love my Yamaha's, and my FJR, I just can't imagine they are using components that are that much better. (Even though they did own a major stake in Ohlins at one time)

Thanks again for the responses, and Fred, thanks for answering a really badly thought out question without flaming me!
No idea why but it does and that's all I care!

I'm not big on flaming people. If I think it is a silly question I just don't bother answering it.

So, I guess that says I didn't think yours was all that silly ;)

It was on a cold morning in the driveway when the spring change stopped, I didn't start driving away. I thought "oh great" my bike is broke. Shut the bike down then restarted and my good old FJR fixed itself. I guess a reboot fixes everything.

Had one "problem",...... left me soft when I wanted hard.
That sounds like a more fitting response in a different kind of forum
punk.gif

Or maybe something BeemerDons would have said after too much Jameson's!

I have a 2015 ES with 45000 miles. I haven’t been very active this year due to some heath issues. So it’s been sitting for a while.  Recently I went for an hour ride and noticed I was flat footing!    I checked the rear preload and it was set to my usual Rider with Luggage.  I adjusted to 2 Riders with luggage and felt no change in height.  The display acts normally. Repeatedly settling it up and down the range made no difference.  

Looking at the manual it doesn’t offer much insight on how the system works.  I gather that it’s hydraulic from looking at the hoses going to and from the ride height pump/ motor units.  I see no leaks of any kind. 

Hopefully I’ll get some good feedback even though this is an old topic.  Any ideas on what to check would be appreciated.

thanks!