4 CORNERS - 10/10THS RIDE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony is almost in his home state...which means he still has quite a ways to go. Most people think of Texas as being one of the long states to drive/ride across, but if you have to travel the length of Florida, it's quite long and dull.

Finally back home. I have always thought that the best mile on any trip, is the last mile home, however the first mile to begin a trip, is a close second.
smile.png

Couple of apologies are in order I think.

First, sorry for being a whiney gash baby about the windscreen. True, it was a royal pain in the a$$, riding an FJR and yet feeling the wind blast as though I were on naked bike. And the first couple hundred miles I felt a little like I was part of Marie Antoinette's court during the French Revolution and about to get the guillotine the first pothole I hit.

One of the items I deemed unnecessary on day 7 when I was at home was my Scala. Earlier that day I had tried to use it without success, so I figure if it were going to work it wasn't coming along.

Secondly, I have had no success logging onto to the forum for about a year from my Droid phone. Now that could be because my smart phone isn't so smart, or it's the dink using it.

Thanks folks for trying to help. I had dug myself into a huge hole essentially by pissing away valuable time on day 7 when I had already come to the conclusion that I was going to quit. So the logistics in trying to hook up with anyone who could help out with the screws, when I had 4K miles to cover in 3 days, I'm thinking was unrealistic.

There is something I'd like to point out. Even though Tony and I may not have been traveling the same roads, I felt we were still on the same trip. Thoughts of how he was doing up in Canada, or turning the corner in CA to begin his trek back home and having to cross that blast furnace we call the Southwest, was always on my mind. I feel a ton of relief now that he is near home, as I am sure he felt the same when I completed my trip. Lemme tell you what, crossing Canada this time of year during the night was no walk in the park. For me it became too much. I just had to get the he(double toothpicks) out of there. But whatever. I have loved my previous trips through Cananda and I always will, but you folks up there can keep your moose.
omg2.gif

I'll try to put together a descent RR for this trip. For me, this trip turned out to be a pretty big deal. If you would have asked me at the beginning of the summer if I thought I could do this, I most likely would have said no after giving it some serious consideration.

Thank you Tony for letting me believe that I could do it if I just gave it a shot. Yes I had wanted to do a ride like this, I just didn't think it would ever happen though.

Of so many lessons learned on this ride, one of them is this; you don't ride alone. Now maybe only one bum can fit on the saddle, but I had a lot of family and friends riding with me. And when parts of the trip gets a little tough, it's comforting to know that there are others riding along offering encouragement. And that's a huge help.

Tony's almost home. When he gets home, only then can I say this was a fantastic trip.

Tripper Mike

What you did was still very amazing to even attempt a ride like this. I'm sure there is a lot of LD riders that would love to try but just would not be able to do it. My longest ride was 1300 miles 5:30am - 2am and I understand about that beginning few models and the last few. Which I registered for the dam IBA.

I'm looking forward to hearing from the both of you about some of your thoughts and adventures of your rides. Kudo's to both you guys and glad your home safely.

Way to go Mike!! I was late to following your P2P part of your trip, but after your butt call I was checking on you twice a day. Glad you're home safe & so glad you were able to complete a ride so few ever even think of doing.

A huge congratulations to Tony. I cannot even comprehend that you've done something like this more than once. Hope to see youn at CFO.