6 speed tranny problems?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorSSJ

Reaction score
I'm looking at an 18 and I am wondering if anyone has seen any problems with the new 6 speed transmission.

Also does anyone have a chart of the gear ratios?

Thanks!

I'm looking at an 18 and I am wondering if anyone has seen any problems with the new 6 speed transmission.

Also does anyone have a chart of the gear ratios?

Thanks!
Six speed and for comparison  Gen 2 five speed (watch the graph scales, they start a little different). 

Can't help on problems, don't remember hearing of any. Certainly not common. 

I have not heard of a single problem issue with the Gen IV's 6-speed transmission.

However.... the 6-speed transmission appears to make a significant difference compared to the 5-speed transmission, 

Having been riding four different generations of this bike for the past 17 years, I can say with good authority that, for me,  the 6-speed transmission has absolutely changed the character of the bike when in the tighter twisties. I am finding myself shifting noticeably more often on the Gen IV in any given set of canyon corners, compared with going through those same set of curves on the 5-speed platform. Which isn't really a surprised - actually expected, and mcatrophy's  OUTSTANDING gear-ratio charts above will also show why I am shifting a bit more.

Bottom line (for me) is that I actually don't spend much time in 6th gear unless droning on the interstate (where 6th gear still gives me mid-40's MPG, even loaded down with gear and my bride Annie on the back). Otherwise, I am working thru the lower gears a fair amount more than previous three generations of this bike.

I will say that I found I really like the slipper clutch in the twisties.  Made a big difference for me.  I'm no Johnny Racer but I'll take all the help I can get.

Reading Warchild's response as a positive, nothing but positives here, as well.  As I've said before, easier to avoid any inherent buzz at 4200.

Warchild has a short memory.  I was not impressed with the '16 6-speed I had.  I probably just had a bad one.  But there a few others around here who have had issues too.

The 6th gear was nice for freeway droning, but other than that I prefer the 5-speed.

One of the reasons I pulled the trigger on the 2015 bike. Last of the 5 speed transmissions. Not sorry at all. If I wanted a 6 speeds I would buy a sport bike to fill the void.

Good luck, I am happy.

Dave

I will say that I found I really like the slipper clutch in the twisties.  Made a big difference for me.
I love the 5 speed ... maybe I should get the new slipper clutch to plug and play....  and get  the Gen 3.5 I always wanted.

I don’t see how having to shift more often in the twisties could be considered a positive attribute.  Since the engine is essentially the same, you probably don’t really have to shift more often when romping on it, but you do have to shift at least once more to go from a stop to top gear.  Again, I’m not sure that more shifting is a good thing.  

I’m not against 6 speeds.  Both my Africa Twin and Vstrom have them, and they kind of need them to have a low enough gear for off pavement stuff and high enough top gear for highway.  And it may be a good thing to be in the “perfect gear” to hit a sweet spot rpm  at a particular speed, but with a powerband as wide as the FJR’s engine that’s pretty easy to do.

it is interesting that none have developed the skipping 2nd gear dogs (yet), but that is fairly rare on the old 5-speeds and there are a lot more of them out there.

I don’t have to shift any more frequently in the twisties with my 6 speed than I did with my 5 speed. I’ve been happy with both. I save 6th gear for interstate or highway speeds.  

Read through this.  Seems to be getting somewhat better after 54,000 km and numerous oil changes and one clutch soak but not perfect.

As far in the twisties or track days, definitely shift it more than my old ‘03.

Not better or worse than a five speed, just different.

Mine has been as smooth as silk and compared to my old 06, feels more like a sport bike.

I'm liking the 6 speed trans on my 2016. I still have my 2012 and rode it this morning to work. Like the 5 speed too. I agree with everyone that 6th is good for the droning down the interstate. Lots of that where I live. More shifting, but not a big deal for me. Still like them both.​

GP

Reading Warchild's response as a positive, nothing but positives here, as well.  As I've said before, easier to avoid any inherent buzz at 4200.
What is the 4200 inherent buzz?  I have a 2014 ES with the Star Venture final drive and running a 190/55 rear tire. At 4000rpm I am at 85mph verified by the GPS. At 4200rpm I would be clocking almost 90mph. Who is doing that speed long enough to be bothered by inherent buzz??

What is the 4200 inherent buzz?  I have a 2014 ES with the Star Venture final drive and running a 190/55 rear tire. At 4000rpm I am at 85mph verified by the GPS. At 4200rpm I would be clocking almost 90mph. Who is doing that speed long enough to be bothered by inherent buzz??
I do.

Umm, I mean,  "No officer, I always ride no faster than the posted speed limit"  😇

I see these speeds all the time, but I live in Wyoming with an 80mph speed limit on most of our interstates; the troopers hardly look up at 85mph. I've never noticed a buzz though; but then again, I've come up through the ranks of 70s, 80s, and 90s bikes, so maybe my nerve endings are shot.

I've always liked the FJR because it hurries well. I can't tell you how many afternoon thunderstorms I've outrun.

I see these speeds all the time, but I live in Wyoming with an 80mph speed limit on most of our interstates; the troopers hardly look up at 85mph. I've never noticed a buzz though; but then again, I've come up through the ranks of 70s, 80s, and 90s bikes, so maybe my nerve endings are shot.

I've always liked the FJR because it hurries well. I can't tell you how many afternoon thunderstorms I've outrun.
You have a point.  I have noticed when riding in WY and MT 4000RPM is just about keeping up with traffic!!   :bike: