600 Mile Dealer Service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterguns

Reaction score
My 2011 is just about to 600 miles. Is it really necessary to have the dealer do the 600 mile service or is it acceptable for me to just do an oil/filter change and blowout the air cleaner? I've already gone through it and tightened up all the loose stuff the dealer didn't tighten on assembly. The bike has already had the throttle bodies synced by the dealer and enrichened a bit to prevent stalling. I have always done my wrenching and don't really want to spend the 250.00 to 300.00 the dealer quoted. Any advise would be much appreciated.

sounds like that service can be done for about $20 and about 20 minutes of your time. Do people actually pay a dealer to change their oil on their FJR?

sounds like that service can be done for about $20 and about 20 minutes of your time. Do people actually pay a dealer to change their oil on their FJR?

I absolutely agree. Just wasn't sure about this FJR. I've had dozens of scooters over the years and have yet to pay a dealer to perform any routine service. But like I said, I just wasn't sure about this high tech, high powered FJR. It surely isn't a hardley.

That's cool man; while the FJR is somewhat high-tech - it will likely be the easiest bike to work on that you've owned. If you haven't done so yet kneel down and take a look at what is involved for an oil change - what you see is what you got.... Maybe grab a filter wrench from wal-mart while you get your oil and you're set.

Congrats on the new bike!

while i agree, the bike is essentially a no brainer to maintain, the first service, as some have wisely pointed out, can sometimes uncover crap the factory screwed up, like an overtorqued oil pan bolt, for example. having an initial service "on the record" made sense to me, that way there was no question about it if something wasn't right. after that, it's all mine.

jmho...

while i agree, the bike is essentially a no brainer to maintain, the first service, as some have wisely pointed out, can sometimes uncover crap the factory screwed up, like an overtorqued oil pan bolt, for example. having an initial service "on the record" made sense to me, that way there was no question about it if something wasn't right. after that, it's all mine.

jmho...
Hmmm, interesting.

I called the dealer with my old R6 last year and asked him whats included in the $225 600 mile service. He said they change the oil, check all lights (this one just about made me commit to it :huh: ), check the chain tension and clutch lever and of course a general once over. I told him, "so basically I am paying $225 for an oil change" and his reply after brief moment of silence..."yes." I elected to do the service myself, except for checking the lights, I had my 8 year old do that :thumbsupsmileyanim: .

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2011 is just about to 600 miles. Is it really necessary to have the dealer do the 600 mile service or is it acceptable for me to just do an oil/filter change and blowout the air cleaner? I've already gone through it and tightened up all the loose stuff the dealer didn't tighten on assembly. The bike has already had the throttle bodies synced by the dealer and enrichened a bit to prevent stalling. I have always done my wrenching and don't really want to spend the 250.00 to 300.00 the dealer quoted. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Slightly off topic. Here in the UK, the labour for the 600 mile service is included in the purchase price. It is also necessary for an authorised dealer to do it for the warranty to be valid (which probably explains the "free" labour).

If you have to pay the labour, it can't affect your warranty, and if bits were loose when you first picked it up, I wouldn't trust the dealer to do the service anyway.

It hasn't been said in this thread yet...

Make sure that you keep the receipts for oil and filters, and a record of each of your oil changes (mileage and date) during the warranty period.

After the warranty is over you can skip the records if you want, but I still keep them for myself. I do all of my maintenances on a 5k mile rotation (way past warranty). It's just easier to look down at the odometer and figure out when it's due that way. Here's a link to my 5k DIY checklist

jmho...
Same here, I wanted the initial service on record. Past that, I do my own minor servicing (oil changes, air filter, TBS, etc).

+1 on what Fred suggested. Keep receipts and document any service you do or you can be challenged on warranty issues. Otherwise, the 600 miles service is the biggest ripoff. I believe the final drive oil gets changed at this interval as well, and for the warranty period, I would purchase, and retain receipts for the Yamalube FJR1300 gear oil and an oil filter, andmaybe pick up some extra crush washers..

Do not over-torque the oil or final gear drain and fill bolts. The torque specs on those are a bit aggressive; at least they were for my 2005.

jmho...
Same here, I wanted the initial service on record. Past that, I do my own minor servicing (oil changes, air filter, TBS, etc).
I'd add guys, as Neil says, get everything "on record", no matters 'who' does it!

The service manual points out all the things that are suppose to be 'checked'. It's a lot of torque settings and hose crimping and etc etc. If you diy, keep a record of it!! The dealer may or may not supply you with an exact record of what they (or at least were suppose to do!!), but if you diy, you better have a list, the mfg won't give you the benefit of the doubt!!

And it's kind of hard to blame them when so many threads indicate it's nothing but a 200 some odd dollar oil change :dribble:

We elected to pay the dealer for the first service, mostly in case of some warranty loophole that we might miss. After that we did each service ourselves but bought all components from the dealership. Sure we pay a little more but they have it on their records, it makes us a familiar face and we get to look at whatever new bikes are on the showroom floor. As long as they treat us well, we don't mind spending money with them. I refuse to pay anyone to do the oil change until I am physically unable to do it myself.

If you don't get your components from the dealer then I absolutely agree with Fred W. Keep maintenance records. This will also help your resale if you can impress the buyer with it.

just take a picture with a newspaper and your bike showing the oil drain out and another with the newspaper next to your odometer. Then just save that in a maintenance file on your computer. Not sure what a Walmart receipt is going to do for in proving you did anything... I think you guys are over-hyping the whole records thing when it comes to an oil change either way. If the motor bombs I highly doubt Yamaha is going to deny warranty work because you can't prove you did an oil change that isn't regulated to be done by the dealer (as in the UK). Just my 2 cents :p

just take a picture with a newspaper and your bike showing the oil drain out and another with the newspaper next to your odometer. Then just save that in a maintenance file on your computer. Not sure what a Walmart receipt is going to do for in proving you did anything... I think you guys are over-hyping the whole records thing when it comes to an oil change either way. If the motor bombs I highly doubt Yamaha is going to deny warranty work because you can't prove you did an oil change that isn't regulated to be done by the dealer (as in the UK). Just my 2 cents :p
Hmmm... I gotta go with... WRONG!

No offense, but the mfg will do everthing it can to prove you wrong. to say... "NO! we will not cover that claim!", if there's any way in hell, the mfg (any of them) will find a way to deny... it would be foolish to not realize that...

Hmmm... I gotta go with... WRONG!

No offense, but the mfg will do everthing it can to prove you wrong. to say... "NO! we will not cover that claim!", if there's any way in hell, the mfg (any of them) will find a way to deny... it would be foolish to not realize that...
I'd like to see an example of a dealer turning down legitimate warranty work because you didn't pay them to do an oil change - but you're probably right - that's why I am recommending shooting a pic, not keeping some receipt that they will claim is no proof. In my experience with autos dealers don't mind doing warranty work if it is legit, depending on their work load at the time - they still get paid from Yamaha, albeit less money.

Dealer shops are still a rip off is something I think we can agree on, they've never gotten a dollar of my money. When I look at the multiple Yamaha dealership's labor rates for simple jobs I feel sorry for the fools that pay them.

When I was picking up my FJR from the wiring recall I saw a pickup receipt for some local guy who got a pair of PR2's installed on his FJR... $500+ bucks just for the tires/install. But hey, if they have the money and are happy with the service, by all means let them share it with the rest of us!