7th annual Ride to the Rock- Saturday 11/28/09

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cota95

RI Beach Pop
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen:

I am putting on the schedule the 7th annual 'Ride to the Rock'. The ride leaves from my humble abode in Lincoln RI at 9am and travels the backroads of southeastern MA to Plymouth MA to visit 'the rock' in honor of our forefathers and Thanksgiving. The ride is held the Saturday after Thanksgiving each year (rain/snow date Sunday 11/29). The ride will go on regardless of how cold it is or how many attend-we have had as many as 15 and as few as 3. We couldn't care less what you ride but we do require the noisy HDs to ride in the rear. Leave a message here if you would like more info and directions to my house. DRESS WARM!! Here are a couple of pics from a previous years ride.

100_4676.jpg

100_2230a.jpg

100_2233a.jpg

100_2235a.jpg

I will be update this as time goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like fun, I'm interested. I live in MA but stay at a friend's house in Barrington pretty often....

George,

Will see if I can add it to my growing list of ways to piss my wife off. . . . will most assuredly be forced into taking my 13 yo if I want to go. Will see. Been riding to work this past week with temps to 25, so can validate my riding as training for the Rock ride. . . .

You are well trained at this point. Normal (??) temp for the start of this ride is 37 with highs in the mid 40s.

Hi, This sounds like something I would like to do. Can you post up some local (to the starting point) motels? Thanks and hopefully I'll be able to make this ride, Looks like a good one! Pete

Hi, This sounds like something I would like to do. Can you post up some local (to the starting point) motels? Thanks and hopefully I'll be able to make this ride, Looks like a good one! Pete
Pete-where are you coming from? The ride will be leaving from my house in Lincoln RI. I will post up some hotels as we get closer. PM me if you need more info now.

I would be riding in from Amsterdam, N.Y. it's about 35 miles northwest of Albany. Everything will depend on the weather, I can't see me riding in snow! I am really hoping to make this ride ,but it will be a "last minute" call. Thanks Pete

Well, count me in George, +1 rider. Hopefully mother nature will cooperate... are there any other particulars to know about? Gather, ride, lunch, then anything else you're planning? Looking forward to the ride!

I would be riding in from Amsterdam, N.Y. it's about 35 miles northwest of Albany. Everything will depend on the weather, I can't see me riding in snow! I am really hoping to make this ride ,but it will be a "last minute" call. Thanks Pete
Pete,

I will post up in the next week or so on hotel info. There are a couple within 3-5 miles that we've used before on weddings and gatherings. Last minute is fine, the only thing I ask is a phone call to cancel if you say your coming so that we've not waiting around for you. As I said, everything depends on weather this time of year. I know where Amsterdam NY is (about 3 1/2 hours on the slab), I have a trials each year in Northville. With our 9am departure it would be a long (and possibly cold) ride that morning so you would have to plan on a 2 night sleepover.

Edit: I also have plenty of trailer parking if needed.

Well, count me in George, +1 rider. Hopefully mother nature will cooperate... are there any other particulars to know about? Gather, ride, lunch, then anything else you're planning? Looking forward to the ride!
It should be a short ride, compared to Pete, for you CJ. Be sure to bundle your kid up, nothing worse than winning in your ear all day. I also have plenty of trailer parking if needed.

Pete,

I will post up in the next week or so on hotel info. There are a couple within 3-5 miles that we've used before on weddings and gatherings. Last minute is fine, the only thing I ask is a phone call to cancel if you say your coming so that we've not waiting around for you. As I said, everything depends on weather this time of year. I know where Amsterdam NY is (about 3 1/2 hours on the slab), I have a trials each year in Northville. With our 9am departure it would be a long (and possibly cold) ride that morning so you would have to plan on a 2 night sleepover.

George, The 2 night thing is what I'm thinking. My normal riding buddy (Roadrunner) is from Northville and I have been trying to convince him this is a good ideal! Whatever, If it's any way possible I'll be there. I will let you know for sure if anything changes. Thanks, Pete

Pete,

George, The 2 night thing is what I'm thinking. My normal riding buddy (Roadrunner) is from Northville and I have been trying to convince him this is a good ideal! Whatever, If it's any way possible I'll be there. I will let you know for sure if anything changes. Thanks, Pete
Link to hotels within 5 miles of my home. Hotels

Let me know if your coming! I will be posting a gpx file of the route early next week.

Again, I have plenty of parking spaces for trailers to avoid the cold night riding. We usually get back to my house around 4:30

Anyone wanting a gpx file of the route please pm me with email address and I'll send it right out. Going out with a couple of guys Saturday morning to pre-ride the route.

Wild Bill, my son, and I rode the loop today and we didn't get lost so I'd say we're ready! Temps were 38 at departure time but quickly warmed to the mid 50's. Total distance is 132 miles with 3 stops. Long range forecast is for cloudy with temps between 35-46. I'm making a couple of small changes to the map file and will email it to the folks that asked for it.

George,

I'd really like to make this ride, but to get to Lincoln, RI for a 9AM departure would require leaving in the pitch dark of morning when it's highly likely to be painfully cold!! (and my bed is oh so warm)

I do not expect you to change anything for my candy ass. But as a possible suggestion for future Rock Rides, maybe a more leisurely 11AM departure time?

edit - Well, maybe that wouldn't work. I just noticed that you say you get back to your place at 4:30PM. THat's O'dark Thirty this time of year. So that would certainly cause problems starting two hours later.

George,
I'd really like to make this ride, but to get to Lincoln, RI for a 9AM departure would require leaving in the pitch dark of morning when it's highly likely to be painfully cold!! (and my bed is oh so warm)

I do not expect you to change anything for my candy ass. But as a possible suggestion for future Rock Rides, maybe a more leisurely 11AM departure time?
I've thought about this Fred but the usual return to home time with a 9am departure is around 4:15, just about cold and dark time. For the guys that have to travel a a couple of hours in the cold (to and fro) trailering down to Lincoln makes perfect sense. I'm sure that the HD guys wouldn't laugh at you. :rolleyes:

I plan on making it despite the temps or light conditions! As long as the forecast doesn't look like crap in regards to precipitation, I'm a definite :yahoo: ! I may be tweaking the riding plan to just leave directly from the rock after the meal stop and not have to head back south, Fred. Not sure how much of a difference that may make for you, but....