7th annual Ride to the Rock- Saturday 11/28/09

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's up with the NH mountain men? I thought they were use to cold weather. :p We will be making this ride tomorrow. See you in the morning george.

Dave

THE RIDE IS STILL ON!!! The sky is blue and the air is crisp. Give me a call if your going to be late

Alan, how's Helen this morning?

Figures... after I bailed out it turned out to be dryer than the forecast, at least up here. The cold is not a problem for me at all, Dave, but the cold & wet sucks, and I opted to hang out with the fam damily rather than risk it. Just as well as we sampled quite a few higher octane brews last night, so it would have been rough getting out of my nice warm bed early enough to get there eon time... ;)

I do hope you folks all had a nice ride today.

Now where's I drop that drum stick? :blink:

Figures... after I bailed out it turned out to be dryer than the forecast, at least up here. The cold is not a problem for me at all, Dave, but the cold & wet sucks, and I opted to hang out with the fam damily rather than risk it. Just as well as we sampled quite a few higher octane brews last night, so it would have been rough getting out of my nice warm bed early enough to get there eon time... ;)

I do hope you folks all had a nice ride today.

Now where's I drop that drum stick? :blink:
I hear ya on the cold and wet thing. That's pretty much how every ride we did this year was. I don't think I did a long ride without some rain. "Situation normal" By the way where were those other flat landers from the western part of MA? AKA, (John and Julie) ;) Must be eating leftover turkey also.

I jumped off early on the return portion of this ride and headed home when I hit route 105. Turned out to be a nice day after all. Just a little on the windy side a bit.

Now where did I put those brewski's. :drinks:

Edit: Thanks George for putting this on another year. Had a great ride! :)

Thanks, Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it inked in, George. As much as I hated missing the ride, I think the lil' varmint got the message (Tim). Of course being grounded until the next report card comes out may have caught his attention, too. . . jus' sayin.

Looks like quite a crew you had there! Kudos to all who were able to ride and showed up! Sorry to miss out on meeting other forum members and riding. Hope to see a few more pics of the festivities if there are others who have them to share. Have to go look over in Ride Reports, see if there's anything there. If not, George, could you post one so the rest of us who weren't able to make it for legitimate reasons and for those more northerly lattitude "wussies" could enjoy the ride, too? :p

Alan, hope Helen heals well and quickly! I, personally, love cats. They're delicious if ya cook 'em right.

and for those more northerly lattitude "wussies" could enjoy the ride, too? :p
Hmmm... I guess that would be me. Mea culpa!! And,yeah I do want to see what I missed too.

In reality there were a few other factors involved in the decision to bail out. But I don't expect anyone to believe a self confessed wussie... :unsure: The weather was just the last straw (which turned out to be a non-issue in the end).

I guess next time I want to bail out on any group rides I'll just have to come up with a much better excuse reason. :rolleyes:

:p

I'm packing and cleaning for my impending move in a couple of week. I will post up tonight here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The weather Friday was rainy, cold, and windy. Forecast for Saturday was a chance of a shower in the morning and windy. At 7am it was still wet outside with temps in the low 40s. The wet weather kept the New Hampster and New York guys home eating leftovers. One guy even went so far as throwing his wife down the stairs (and blaming the cat!) so he wouldn't have to leave his warm bed. The distance award goes the Chris aka theAxeman who rode up Thursday in the rain from Long Island NY.

We had all types of bikes in attendance, with HDs out numbering the FJRs. Going down the list of other bikes, there was a CBR1000, Kawi Concours 14, Suzuki sv1000, VFR 750, 750 Shadow, Honda Valkarie. In fact the youngest rider present, my nephew Kyle, was on the oldest bike, a 1980 Honda CB 400 Hawk.

24.jpg

As the 9 am departure time came near, the bikes began arriving.

11.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

9am and it's time to hit the road.

2.jpg

3.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

5.jpg

After a 63 mile trip through northern RI and Ma, we arrived at the Plymouth MA, where the pilgrims landed in 1620.

18.jpg

17.jpg

The group shot with the Mayflower II in the background.

20.jpg

18 bikes, 19 riders, 6 forum members in attendance

Chris (the Axeman),George (Cota95), Steve (Exciter99), Leo(Lrider),Brian and Andrea(BDF), Dave(08fjr4me)

22.jpg

After a quick lunch at Mickey D's we headed out through the cranberry bogs (sorry no pictures of the bogs) and backroads of southeastern MA and back home to Lincoln RI. Although it was really windy all day, the temps warmed to the mid 50s with sunny skies.

Coffee break on the way home

23.jpg

Thanks to everyone that braved the weather and attended our 7th annual ride. It's time to hunker down with the crapy weather and start planning for next years ride.

Looks like fun was had! My brother lived in Plymouth many years and of course I remember it well at Thanksgiving. The museum is worth a quick visit. Great tradition. If I head back another Thanksgiving to visit family in Boston, would a guy in a cage be an acceptable participant? I could ride chase...

Looks like fun was had! My brother lived in Plymouth many years and of course I remember it well at Thanksgiving. The museum is worth a quick visit. Great tradition. If I head back another Thanksgiving to visit family in Boston, would a guy in a cage be an acceptable participant? I could ride chase...
Of course Shiny. We may even be able to fix you up with a ride.

Of course Shiny. We may even be able to fix you up with a ride.
Cool! Maybe I could talk my brother into taking his GoldWing off the charger, and join us. :)

Great time was had by all. The snapshot of the day would have been of the nice, calm, gentle horse that was munching grass and lazily watching as all the FJR's rode by and then going into a wild, bucking, stomping, running, snorting frenzy when the Harley's passed. :lol:

The wind was howling pretty good by the time we got to Plymouth and was very noticeable going through the cranberry bogs. All day long we were dodging fallen branches, pine cones, and other crap. I actually felt bad for a second for COTA's nephew who was riding the 1979 400cc Honda. The bad feeling went away though when I raised the windshield, turned on the heated grips, turned up the Gerbings, and started relaxing to the XM tunes. :p

Anyone that would like a 10 megapixel quality copy of a picture drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it out