8000 mile service at dealer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpleogs

Reaction score
I decided I would have the 8000 mile service done at the local dealer while I had new front and rear tires put on the bike. They charged me $468.00 for the tire install and the service which is basically an oil change and looking things over. This just sounds OUTRAGEOUS to me! Is it in any way worth it to have a dealer service the bike like this or would I be way better off changing the oil and doing the other maintenance myself. I know the 16000 mile service includeds checking the valves and they quoted that at around 9 hours at 88.00/hr. Thats almost $800.00 just to check them. That hurts! Alright I'm done bitching now!

I decided I would have the 8000 mile service done at the local dealer while I had new front and rear tires put on the bike. They charged me $468.00 for the tire install and the service which is basically an oil change and looking things over. This just sounds OUTRAGEOUS to me! Is it in any way worth it to have a dealer service the bike like this or would I be way better off changing the oil and doing the other maintenance myself. I know the 16000 mile service includeds checking the valves and they quoted that at around 9 hours at 88.00/hr. Thats almost $800.00 just to check them. That hurts! Alright I'm done bitching now!
Sounds like you're overservicing your motorcycle if you're considering having the valves checked at 16,000 miles. Manual says 26,000. And it should likely be around 3-4 hours of dealer time to check valves....more if they actually need to be adjusted (which is uncommon).

If it sounds outrageous to you....maybe you should find another dealer or try some of the service items yourself.

Ain't a freemarket great.....

Run, don't walk away from this stealership! If your comfortable doing minor stuff like changing oil, then do the work yourself. As for the valve check, that takes place at 26k not 16k. When I had it done it was pretty much half the cost you were quoted. Since you have a little time before you hit 26k, shop around for a new service department!

Don't think I could afford to own a motorcycle, much less 2, if I didn't do almost all the wrenching myself, including mounting and balancing tires. Even if that is a mild exaggeration, it is no exaggeration to say that I sure couldn't afford farkles if I had dealers do all the work. As a basis for comparison: I buy front and rear Michelin Pilots for somewhere between $225 and $245 shipped to my door for either bike (Powers for XX, Roads for FJR) and it costs me NOTHING to take the wheels off, dismount old, mount new, balance and reinstall -- just a few hours with an adult beverage and music playing.

Couldn't $300 - $350+ be just for tires (retail) and installation? Plus oil, filter and service? Actually if the price includes retail tires and shop time for tire installation, the cost really isn't all THAT far off, is it? If it doesn't include the price of the tires, then YES you got hosed.

Having seen the techs at my local dealership at work on other items, I would suggest to you that, at whatever mileage you choose to check the valves, the chances are much better of having it done correctly if you do it yourself - almost regardless of your own mechanical skill level. After watching the boys trying to determine what in my front end was clunking, a mental image of a football and a number of monkeys was difficult to shake. Let's not even talk about the technique involved in tightening up the steering bearing nut.

$468? Including the cost of the tires???

NO this did not include the cost of the tires. That was about another $250.00. It did include the cost of the oil, filter etc. I'm still pissed about it! However now I know better and will never enter this craphole again!

Wow, I'd say that was excessive.

I had the 600 mise service done at my dealer recently. It appears to have been a similar amount of work to your experience. No tires, of course, but my bill was just over $100.00.

I thought that was a pretty good price considering that the same interval service for my Busa and Road Star cost $170 and $150 respectively.

My local dealer charged me about that, but it was for the 26k mile valve service, tire change, TB recall, wishbone shaft lube, rear oil change, oil change, plug change, adjust throttle, adjust brakes, & lots more that I can't recall right now. I had a long list for him. Seems your dealer has decided to make more money on service than most dealers... I'd try another dealer (maybe after a friendly chat with the service manager).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got most of my 16k mile service done at the dealer b/c with a baby at home I just dont have the time. I bought the tires at SW moto and the dealer mounted them. Total cost including tax was $258

Included:

TBS

Mount/Balance 2 tires

Lubed shaft drive and splines

Rear differential fluid change

Flush/fill brakes and clutch fluid

lube/adjust throttle cable (mine was pretty sloppy)

clean and lube main pivot points

lube swingarm, universal joint and centerstand

did not repack my head bearings, but adjusted them. I will do that myself but they and I both agree they are fine right now

pulled and cleaned plugs (irdiums I put in at 9k miles)

checked brakes (50% front/70% left on rear)

couple of other miscellaneous things I asked them to inspect and or check out added some labor time but overall I think it was a fair deal.

Coolant, air filter and oil done by me before heading in.

Let me just chime in on this one. My previous bike, '05 Suzuki SV1000S was all dealer serviced never needed much, just the regular. went through one pair of tires before I crashed it. Maybe shoulda been on second set a little sooner

( :eek: :unsure: that just occurred to me now as I was typing!! :blink: :dribble: ) but anyway, the bike and I weren't really one. I rode the hell out of it kinda like a Vegas hooker on a 3 day weekend. but there was no love.

But the FJR.....

No dealer mechanic is getting near it!

Besides armed with a FACTORY service manual, a toolbox, and a 12 pack there ain't much I think I couldn't fix. And If I run into something I have all of you here for help.

If you do the work yourself you know It was done with love and care. Not a throw it together attitude. I've seen lots a posts here about spare parts left over from dealer service, or missing things.

Since I found this forum I have completely lost my fear of turning wrenches on my own bike. I've always done my own work on my cars and trucks, and it killed me to bring the Suzuki in but it was all so foreign(no pun intended) anyway.

Great forum. great members.Fantastic information.

Nice job, hope it continues.

$800????

OOOUUUCCCHHHHHHHHHH! you been screwed! Hope they smooched you first :lol:

Imagine all the farkling you could do for the the $550 you paid over the cost of the tires :yahoo:

I just did my 8K service about a week or so ago. Using all dealer parts, and doing the full 8k per 8k Service it only cost $61.26 (oil, filter, plugs, and 3 gaskets) and a few hours of time. Since I was in there, I did a few extra things including lubing the drive shaft. My dealer mech is good, but there usually booked weeks out, so it's just easier for me to do it myself.

Last edited by a moderator: