9th annual Ride to the Rock 11/26

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm changing the tires and oil tomorrow night, sooo looks like Pete and myself will be there. See you all Saturday AM. :) The weather is looking to be a real bonus.

Art
I was in Northville Columbus Day weekend attending a motorcycle trials held at the CATRA club off Fish House Road.

Well my front brakes shipped out today from Texas so they aren't going to get here in time. I will still try to make it anyway. We will just have to nurse the feejer along. As long as there are no sudden stops the rears should surfice. Most likely solo this run.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm changing the tires and oil tomorrow night, sooo looks like Pete and myself will be there. See you all Saturday AM. :) The weather is looking to be a real bonus.

Art
I was in Northville Columbus Day weekend attending a motorcycle trials held at the CATRA club off Fish House Road.
World keeps getting smaller. I just moved, but I used to live 10 minutes from there.

Well my front brakes shipped out today from Texas so they aren't going to get here in time. I will still try to make it anyway. We will just have to nurse the feejer along. As long as there are no sudden stops the rears should surfice. Most likely solo this run.

Dave
Shouldn't be a problem Dave we have Harleys in the group. We'll be at parade speed. :rolleyes:

For anyone coming down from the North Shore, we are planning to do a little meet up at the rest area on Rte 128 South (aka I-95) just south of the Mass Pike at ~ 7:30AM. There is a Honey Dew Donuts and gas available there. Try to get there a bit early if you think you'll want either of those. It will be an exciting 45 minute mix of slab and yet more slab down to cota95's in Lincoln from there.

Dave

Hey Dave,

You might want to take out your pads and swap them around. As you probably already know, your front brakes only uses one pair of the pads on the right side caliper, and the other pair are used by the linked hydraulics from the rear brake. Those ones are usually less worn. By swapping the least worn ones with the most worn ones you should be able to ensure you have some decent front brake power.

Just a thought and it doesn't take very long to do. It'll also let you better assess how bad those pads really are and if you are down to the backing on any of them.

For those of you that haven't been to Casa Cota before and are using a gps it will deliver you about 100 yards north of proper house. Look for bikes or listen for the mellow tone of a v-twin to find the correct address

For anyone coming down from the North Shore, we are planning to do a little meet up at the rest area on Rte 128 South (aka I-95) just south of the Mass Pike at ~ 7:30AM....
Looks like we may be able to this ride. Fred, are you planning to slab down to 128? Hmmm, 7:30 -- guess Tony won't be making this ride ;)

I got an email through the forum from a Wille that wanted to know when/where lunch would be for a meetup. S/b McDonalds on rt44 west of Plymouth around 12:30

Coffee and donuts will be served in the barn starting at 8am. With the weather forecast of warm and sunny, and a bunch of my 'fair weather friends' planning to attend, we should have a record turnout this year! I believe that 19 bikes is the record.
Donuts?!?

Guess I gotta try to be part of the new record. Will be riding out with the Haerter brothers (sounds like an old western, don't it?) on Friday and looking forward to a great weekend. Until then, Happy Thanksgiving.

Havocdog

I grew up in East Northport, Vernon Valley Rd. Small world.
Yeah, Burr Road has been good to us since 1985. Only downsides are limited dual sport opportunities (my backyard) and most two wheel worthy roads are either a bridge toll or a ferry fare away. And then there is the challenge of the Cross Bronx Expressway...

Havocdog

I grew up in East Northport, Vernon Valley Rd. Small world.
Yeah, Burr Road has been good to us since 1985. Only downsides are limited dual sport opportunities (my backyard) and most two wheel worthy roads are either a bridge toll or a ferry fare away. And then there is the challenge of the Cross Bronx Expressway...
You know, Martin, you strike me more as a Vermont kind of guy than a Long Islander... especially that far west on LI.

You just aren't (or at least don't appear to be) aggressive enough for that locale. Much better dual sport opportunities in VT. Time to move.

You can thank me later. ;)

I thought the CBE WAS a dual sport road. :p
Oh yeah, it is. Tedium and anguish.

You know, Martin, you strike me more as a Vermont kind of guy than a Long Islander... especially that far west on LI.

You just aren't (or at least don't appear to be) aggressive enough for that locale. Much better dual sport opportunities in VT. Time to move.

You can thank me later. ;)
Fred, I'm told I'm passive aggressive. My neighbors would probably agree with you that I belong in Vermont - like when they turned me in for keeping chickens (actually, it was the roosters that got their attention)(truth be told, other than that I mind my business and they oughta mind their own, I wasn't all that upset since the chicken feed was a draw for rats). The neighbors probably aren't all too thrilled with the dirtbike trails in my backyard, but its not a code violation, so they can't do anything about it - I don't use them enough to be deemed a nuisance - yet. However, when the snow falls, they do like that I have a little Deere diesel with bucket loader to dig them out (that kinda Vermontee, isn't it?).

Only downsides are limited dual sport opportunities And then there is the challenge of the Cross Bronx Expressway...

I thought the CBE WAS a dual sport road. :p

I would characterize it as worse than a DS road. On a DS road you are generally only up against a rough road and dust. The CBE is a very rough road (tank-trap sized potholes) in bumper-to-bumper traffic heavily populated with tractor trailers at 60+mph with darting, aggressive drivers. I imagine its more akin to arena-cross with semi's than a dual sport. I've done it on two wheels, 4 and 8 (car pulling double axle trailer). I always end up holding my breath at least once...

For anyone coming down from the North Shore, we are planning to do a little meet up at the rest area on Rte 128 South (aka I-95) just south of the Mass Pike at ~ 7:30AM....
Looks like we may be able to this ride. Fred, are you planning to slab down to 128? Hmmm, 7:30 -- guess Tony won't be making this ride ;)

OK, that did it, I am in for the ride. Solo, Sandi just pointed at the post and told me I was on it solo. “There is no freakin’ way I can get talked into this!.”

Let me shovel the few inchs of snow away from the bike and I am to the ride, or I can sleep in and avoid this folly!!!!!

You guy’s know I am one for folly!

I do need an address, please forward. Geo

Well my front brakes shipped out today from Texas so they aren't going to get here in time. I will still try to make it anyway. We will just have to nurse the feejer along. As long as there are no sudden stops the rears should suffice. Most likely solo this run.

Dave

Hey Dave,

You might want to take out your pads and swap them around. As you probably already know, your front brakes only uses one pair of the pads on the right side caliper, and the other pair are used by the linked hydraulics from the rear brake. Those ones are usually less worn. By swapping the least worn ones with the most worn ones you should be able to ensure you have some decent front brake power.

Just a thought and it doesn't take very long to do. It'll also let you better assess how bad those pads really are and if you are down to the backing on any of them.
Yeah swapping pads did come to mind and I was hoping not to have to do it. If I don't get to carried away shooting High caliber weaponry on Friday I may get to taking a look and most likely do the switch if there is something left to the pads.

Dave

Weather forecast is for cold in the morning warming to :yahoo: 63 in the afternoon!
If you are coming from the Far North, the temperature at KSU will be roughly 39° and peak at 58° midday. At this time of the year tomorrow is CALIENTE.