A camping Trip gone to Hell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gald you are OK. Looks like the bike might be a good buy back candidate as the damage looks to be mostly cosmetic and easily repaired.

Thanks for all the support guys, I knew I could count on everyone here.

As for the bike. I honestly have no interest in fixing it, for several reasons, among them are, The current pace of my life, with college(finishing a BS and applying for grad school in Phys Therapy), healing up and the rapidly approaching winter, I truly believe the bike would sit unridden until next spring. my wife is still supportive of me riding but pretty freaked out right now.

Also, since leaving the Army, we're on my wifes insurance which I'm not pleased with. I'll gloss over the intimacies of it but the gist of it is that I was transported me to a 'non-network' facility and thus they only feel the need to cover 60% of the bills. Of course it'd better than nothing but it's not gonna be cheap. The totaling of the bike is a blessing in disguise as I got almost $1,000 more for it than I would have gotten from selling it, which was a real possibility.

My first obligation is of course, our finances, anything left over will seed a 'bike-fund' that I hope to use next summer. If I was buying today, It'd be a Versys or a Wee, depending on the wifes desire to ride again. The FJR was an unmatched bike, but so often I felt it was 'too much'. Too much comfort, too much power, too much weight.

Like many have expressed here, I was certain State Farm would simply fix the bike and we'd be on our merry way. I was shocked yesterday when the adjuster informed me it was a 'total-loss'. The salvage value of the bike is $2500. Thats a good fistful of cash with unknown looming medical bills, college tuition, and the new desire to find better insurance. In a selfish, inexplainable way, I'm not excited about having a salvage title on the bike, even if I'd keep it till the wheels fell off as was planned up to the second of the crash.

To address the gear comments... you're all exactly right. I'm so thankful that I developed strict habits of wearing gear. I have never once in my life operated a motorcycle without a helmet, jacket gloves, long pants and sturdy shoes. This is precisely why. I knew someday my number would come up. Had I not been wearing 'carhartt-esque' pants I'd have re-donned the JR riding pants. In the end, my gear saved me from immeasurable pain.

I really sorry to hear about your 'meet the asphalt' ride Wanderer but glad that you still have a sense of humor about it and didn't come out worse than you did.

My take-away is that I am moving my phone into my jeans pocket - sounds like a good thing. Now if anything bad happens I have to remember to slide on that side

Hope you get better real quick!

I'm glad you're okay and thank you for the candor in relating what happened. It's a good reminder for all of us that we can't let ourselves get distracted by other things when we're riding. I'm sure all of us on the forum are guilty of it at one time or another, I know I sure am. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a new bike whatever you wind up choosing.

It sounds like Wanderer has invented a new farkle: Jeans Sliders.

I may have to go buy a set.

Glad you are ok. Heal up first and then worry about your next bike.

As for the bike. I honestly have no interest in fixing it, ...The salvage value of the bike is $2500.
Sorry to hear of your get-off -- good luck with the healing process.

Looks like your adherence to ATGATT paid off (and, didn't go unnoticed...). The story of your Blackberry is interesting -- but, stuff carried in pants pockets can often have just the opposite effect (become weapons... :( )

As a fellow '03 owner, I'd be interested if you hear (or, if you can find out...) where your bike is heading -- auction, re-builder, dismantler, etc. Big Ins. Co.s, Like S.F., often have all-encompassing contracts for their salvage -- but, you never know? I'd be surprised if they get $2.5K for it...

Looks-like, all the R.H. side plastic in un-damaged?

Anyway..., if you hear anything -- thanks. :)

Thanks for taking the time to write up the details . . . sorry to hear about your accident and bike . . . glad to hear your gear held up and kept you in one piece . . . really bummed to hear they totaled your bike . . . I'm sure what ever you decide in the future for a new bike will be the right one for your needs . . . these are always sobering scenarios . . . take care & be well.

Glad you are mostly ok. Thanks for sharing the gear info as well... always good to hear that it's doing its job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like many have expressed here, I was certain State Farm would simply fix the bike and we'd be on our merry way. I was shocked yesterday when the adjuster informed me it was a 'total-loss'. The salvage value of the bike is $2500. Thats a good fistful of cash with unknown looming medical bills, college tuition, and the new desire to find better insurance. In a selfish, inexplainable way, I'm not excited about having a salvage title on the bike, even if I'd keep it till the wheels fell off as was planned up to the second of the crash.
The amount they offered you for the totalled 03 is very fair, especially in light of the really depressed market. Take the money and run. Don't fool with the salvaged title. You'll spend a bunch of money fixing the bike up and then when you go to sell it, you'll find out how much you wasted. Don't ask me how I know.

Glad you are OK and thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us. Get better and finish up your schooling, there will always be a nice looking bike out there waiting for a new owner.

Thank you for taking the time to share all that Wanderer. As I was reading I found myself relieved that your wife wasn't aboard.

One night many years ago on a 4th of July I spent a night sleeping on the couch in a KOA rec room where I met another fellow who was pretty well beat up. My Gold Wing had lost its front tire pressure catastrophically at speed on I-10 and I needed a new one and the shops were closed. There were no spaces available at the KOA but the owner was kind enough to let a military guy sleep in the rec room. It was late (10 pm) and as I settled in I started chatting with this guy who had been collecting what remained of his gear. Turned out he was a rider too. He had been riding with his wife on pillion on a big bike (don't remember the make) pulling a trailer. They were one day out on a 2-week vacation and were passing close to this KOA. He had fallen asleep on the interstate and had drifted into the woods on the right side at speed. His bike was destroyed, the trailer a mess but the worst of it was he had been able to walk away but his wife was in intensive care at the local hospital. He was inconsolable and just wanted to sit and hold his head in his hands. I helped him get his gear sorted and secured then worked a deal to get him back to the hospital.

Anyway, this memory was going through my mind as I read your post. Glass half full. Be thankful she wasn't involved as well.

Mend up and come back and join us soon.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the support guys, I knew I could count on everyone here.
As for the bike. I honestly have no interest in fixing it, for several reasons, among them are, The current pace of my life, with college(finishing a BS and applying for grad school in Phys Therapy), healing up and the rapidly approaching winter, I truly believe the bike would sit unridden until next spring. my wife is still supportive of me riding but pretty freaked out right now.

<snippage>

My first obligation is of course, our finances, anything left over will seed a 'bike-fund' that I hope to use next summer. If I was buying today, It'd be a Versys or a Wee, depending on the wifes desire to ride again. The FJR was an unmatched bike, but so often I felt it was 'too much'. Too much comfort, too much power, too much weight.
It sounds like you have your priorities in order. Good for you, sir!

Lay your foundation, the "extras" will come.

The added time to console your wife-unit as she processes everything is a good thing.

The best of good wishes sent your way for you recovery and your future and whatever riding it provides.

Hi,

sorry to read of your misfortune, can happen to any of us. You are lucky in that you have options. You will recover, your Missus is O.K. and as much as some of us my argue bikes CAN be replaced if and when you want.

Hope all goes well for your future.

Regards

Surly

Glad you are OK and you can write about it, I hate reading about any crashes, there has already been too many this season.

Crashing SUCKS!

Glad to hear your ok for the most part. Those ribs ain't gonna be fun for a while. Bummer about the bike. It doesn't take much to total one these days. Parts prices are going through the roof, values are coming down.

Hang in there buckaroo.

Wanderer, thanks for taking a few minutes and sharing the experience and lessons.

As others have noted, you've gotta be so glad the Mrs. wasn't on the back when you went down.

I'm not sure I could handle the guilt and remorse that would come with perhaps having contributed to

the injuring (or worse) of a loved one.

And the "non-network" medical bills can be a MOTHER! (They somehow make broken ribs ache just a little more.)

Take care and heal well, amigo.

I join everyone in the "Glad you're (mostly) OK" department, and I couldn't agree more with what wfooshee wrote.....

$6200 settlement on an '03??? :blink:

Grab the money...run...RUN...RUN FAST!

Now I know why my State Farm payments are so high....their adjusters haven't a clue on the value of 7 year old motorcycles!

Glad you're okay.

And thanks for the lines about the Tour Master meash jacket. I have one and I'm glad it seems I made the right choice. I hope you can get back on two wheels soon!

Latest posts